1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LIGHT LOAD POWDER SUGGESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I load 14.5 grains of 700x with 7/8 oz of shot for my wife to shoot, she likes the load but it is really dirty.. I think it produces about 6300psi.. is there a cleaner powder I can use that will have the about same recoil as the 700x but not be so dirty? I looked up the data on clays but their lightest 7/8 load was 18.3 grains 8300psi.. thanks!

2. gary0920

gary0920 Member

Check out the new Alliant xtra light powder.

3. ABH

ABH Member

Pressure has nothing to do with recoil. The rate of acceleration of the shot does. Look at the FPS of any load, and that will tell you the amount of recoil to expect. The higher the FPS, the higher the recoil. Hodgdon Titewad is a clean burning powder at 9000 PSI or higher.

ART H.

4. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

My favorite load for 16 yd. and sporting targets is a Win. AA hull and Win. primer, TGT 12 wad with 16 grs.of Clays and 7/8 oz of shot. Very soft and clean in my Perazzi but will smoke 16 yd. birds and cycle my Beretta 391, even in cold Colorado weather. If I feel I need a bigger bullet I bump the shot to 1 oz and everything else stays the same. I'm very recoil sensitive and almost never shoot a 1 1/8 oz load anymore.

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Hmm.. I loaded a few 1 1/8 oz loads with the 15 grains of powder 8500 psi actually 50 pfs slower than the 7/8 loads and they kicked her like a mule..

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'll second the recommendation for Extra-Lite. It is very, very clean burning.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Winchester AA Lite powder.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

blkcloud,

Recoil is a product of speed and payload, not pressure.

ss

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

blkcloud, I'm with tim99 on this on as well. I just can't get the Alliant extra lite as it is never in stock, but Win. AA Lite is always in stock and is the only other powder for what you are looking for. The 6300 psi load for 700X must not be reaching the pressure required to burn properly and is giving you dirty barrels. I have used 700X and found it to be pretty clean and to meter very well. So the pressure here must be causeing you the dirty barrels. The Win. AA Lite powder will give you higher Chamber pressures with same load speed, so that you will get a better burn and a cleaner barrel at the end of the day. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Another vote for WAALite. A bit expensive but charge weights are only 12.5- 13.5 gr. It works very well for light 7/8 oz loads.

Don Verna

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Alliant Extra Lite and Winchester AALite. Alliant appears to be less expensive, so I'd likely give it the nod. Just don't expect to asseble super handicap loads with these powders. They are for the light stuff ONLY!

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

thanks guys!

13. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've been loading 17.2 gr of Clays under 7/8 for about 8 years, it used to be a published load in STS or AA hulls. I find that 'dirty' is often associated with with low pressure and primer ignition - just my observation.

I think that Clays or ClayDot are good powders for light, clean loads. I used to build both 14.5 gr and 17.5 gr of Clays loads under 3/4 oz for my grandson's, as they were growing up. I still use the 17.5 load on a commercial 5-stand with 20 to 30 yard targets and on clear days for Singles practice.

I have 12 lbs of ClayDot on hand so it will be a while before I try the new Alliant 'Lite, but I will give it a good try.

Don't overlook a primer change for a cleaner burn. I've always found Alliant Techs very helpful for reviewing unpublished recipes. Always call first....

Kip

14. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

ABH-once upon a time, a long time ago this was true, however the Europeon powder companies changed the powder base and the burn curve was also changed.
    If you can get a Vita Vourhi manual,they explain it in detail. Up until that time I had tried most powders, settled on Hodgdon powders for pistol, SA pistol,rifle ,long range rifle, shotgun.
    Met this obnoxious knowitall shooter the second day, after shooting went home with him, what a set up. he was a factory rep of VV. Took some VV320 home.
    All powders til then had a sharp peak, recoil, sharp burn curve, not VV, the burn curve was most similar to black powder, no sharp peak a long curve.
    I made rounds for SA guns,I was surprised, I made more to duplicate my load, I was then using Titegroup for Cowboy, metering was fair, with the VV it was easy, burn was cleaner, why, it was what the base was put on. Velocity was the same or a bit better on a chrono.
    I later also compared Hodgdon to another VV powder for long range rifle, it was amazing. If you think a day of trap or Clays can be hard imagine sitting at a table on and off all day firing at distances of 300 to 500 yds what a beating your shoulder goes thru after 50 or so rounds.
    The VV powder I used, I called VV to ask what to use, they wanted to know the caliber, length of case, bullet weight and shape,length of bullet, OAL, barrel length, twist, a few days later I was told to get that powder, start with and amazingly wound up to exactly what I used with Hodgdon, the bullet holes were identical in the same exact place, I shot 5 with H, 5 with VV.
    The difference was, imagine being punched hard in the shoulder, H
    imagine just being shoved with the VV. Pressure reduced velocity increased.
    Over the next few years the other powder companies played catch up but never did.
    Dont believe me-try it for yourself if you have the time.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

"Pressure has nothing to do with recoil", you must be joking ART. If there is no pressure, there is no recoil, if there is a lot of pressure you will get recoil. That sounds like a relationshipm to me. HMB

16. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

It is hard to beat old Red Dot.
    I have settled on 17gr. for 1oz. loads and 16gr. for 7/8oz. loads.

Has been working great for me for years...

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Acorange ... same here!

I have tried other powders, but always go back to good old Red Dot!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb- ART was correct. Chamber pressure does not have a direct relationship to recoil. Chamber pressure is often, but not always, related to velocity. The direct cause of recoil is the acceleration of the shot/wad down the barrel.

A load with a higher chamber pressure and lower velocity will have less recoil than a load with a lower chamber pressure and higher velocity.

Pat Ireland

19. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

15.5gr of Nitro 100 works super under DownRange XXL (7/8oz), TGT12 (1oz), and Windjammer (1 1/8oz) wads. One powder, one powder bushing, and great loads!

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

So hmb,

Would you say that my 12 gauge field loads with Longshot, 1-1/4 ounces of shot at 1330 fps and 9,100 psi peak pressure will have less recoil than my .410 skeet loads with Lil' Gun, 1/2 ounce of shot at 1200 fps and 12,200 psi peak pressure???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.