1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light load=$100K

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Was just in formed the Federal rep who won the $100K was using 23/4dr #8's. No need to beat yourself up to win. In an endurance contest light loads really have juat proved their value.

Phil Berkowitz

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Get out your asbestos underwear and flame retarding coveralls...you will likely get some different opinions on here (from people who weren't in the $100K shoot-off). ;o) Best Regards, Ed

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep. For many that works. For many of us,it doesn't. Some people use sustained lead which works with those loads. Some use a pull thru with hdcp loads. Some are just better than most. Look over what Leo and Ray and Dan and Kay or Phil have used over the years. Its whatever gets you closest to the finish line first that works.

Jim

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Who shoots sustain lead in trap? Do they have ESP to determine the flight path of the target before it's thrown?

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No Doc.

You just insert the barrel into the flight path of the bird and sustain the lead. I'm surprised yo didn't know that.

Jim

6. Erik W

Erik W Member

My first chuckle of the day; that is cute.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gun Doc. Ever watched newly installed ATA HOF shooter Cathy Wehinger shoot? You and I know her well. Terrific lady and terrific shot. She is one of the best sustained lead shooters I have ever seen. She gets the gun in front of the target in a classic like move.

Doug. I'll buzz you. But you are not at the shop?

8. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I love that this discussion has come up once again. The argument that the "big boys" use heavy loads is proof that that's what you need to shoot if you want to win has this reverse logic...How many losers use those loads? If you want to lose, use what the losers use. Clearly it's not light or heavy that matters most, but how well do you put the bead on the bird. I suggest using what ever helps you do that! Every one who is searching for the magic bullet needs to know its in your barrel when you practice not in the box. I know that there are many shooters on this site that want to believe in "superior technology will help me win". When all the current technology is available to all it's you physical and mental ability along with understanding of the game that matters. Bruce

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Did not Ray Stafford favor 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 -7 1/2's for everything?

Anyway, Federal Paper + 2 3/4 dram speed = soft.

What is not to like?

$100,000 will buy a lot of Federal Papers!

Ed Ward

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Doesn't the loads you use just matter on 2 things? How well it patterns out of your gun, and how much confidence you have in the shells.

Wayne

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

From the 27, I have never lost a handicap event shooting 2 3/4 dram loads. I have lost many handicap events shooting heavier loads (Winchester Super Handicap). I have shot over 100,000 ATA registered handicap targets. Form any conclusions you wish from these true statements.

Pat Ireland

12. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Hi, I like The book "The Road to Yesterday" by Dick Baldwin. If you read the chapter about Mark Arie you will notice his Marlin pump has no rib and no bead to put on the "bird". He puts his eyes on the "bird". The heavy loads were proven unnecessary at the Grand as we now know. "What ever you think is right"!

Harry Lyga

13. twopipe

twopipe Member

"From the 27, I have never lost a handicap event shooting 2 3/4 dram loads"
    do you use 2 3/4 dram loads from 27 ?

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I tend to go by a shooters average rather than one event.

15. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Hi, I did some simple math and found that it takes .0786 seconds to travel 90ft. for the "lite" 1145fps load and .075 seconds for the "heavy" 1200fps load. Gravity drops the shot pattern 1.186 inches in the time it takes the lite load to travel the 90ft and drops the heavy load 1.080 inches. The heavy load drops .106 inches less than the lite load so no big advantage at 90ft for the heavy load. I say shoot the lights out!

Harry Lyga

16. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Pat, the only conclusion that makes sense, knowing a little about your habits and preferences, is that you have never shot a registered hdcp event from the 27 with 2 3/4dr. loads.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

EE- You have made another correct conclusion.

Pat Ireland

18. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Hi, Just because someone never shoots a 2 3/4 dram load for handicap doesn't mean that they won't work just fine for someone else.

Harry Lyga

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Harry- Absolutely, and just because I do not use them does not mean they would not work for me. When I practice, and I don't do that very often, I have shot 2 3/4 loads from the 27 and they did work fine. But, when I shoot registered birds, my frequently faulty brain tells me I must use more powder than I use for singles.

Please be aware that I am handicapped to the 27 yard line and also handicapped in many other ways. I sincerely hope you do not suffer the same short comings I am afflicted with. For example, for the first shot on each post I find it absolutely necessary to have the number of the shell in the row of my shell box be the same as the number of the post. My first shot on post 4 must be with the fourth shell in the row. Possibly others can shoot well without doing this but it seems to be a requirement for me.

Pat Ireland

20. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Um, I'm with Gun Dr. here. In a sustained lead, the target never passes the gun barrel. I am assuming that a shooter in Trap would have to have ESP to know the flight path of each bird. I will have to think about the straight away shot.

I never follow the path of the bird. I go straight to the break point. I follow and pass below the bird to the break point at either 3,6, or 9 o'clock depending on whether it is a straight away, right or left. maybe I have some new lessons to learn.

Always willing to learn...

mc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.