1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light fixture wiring differences? how to?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by g7777777, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ok there is a wealth of knowledge on this site

Sons room- light fixture is a 3 bulb affair where the plastic crumbles- take it down and it has two black wires coming from it- two white wires and a ground wire

ceiling recepticle- two black wires and two white wires and ground wire

single pull switch on the wall

it worked before

connecting both the white wires to the one white wire in the new fixture and connecting both of the hot black wires (although one may not be hot) to the single black wire out of the fixture - it will work but the circuit breaker pops

additionally -- the light fixture will go on with the single pull switch in either the on or off position - replacing the switch doesnt change that?

solutions?

thanks ahead of time

Gene

2. g7777777

well thanks guys

regards from Iowa

PS- I did diagram the wiring

Gene

and if you havent figured it out by now- I am not into suing anyone, maybe just making people think they shouldnt be talking of beating gunsmiths to death with baseball bats -

Ok- let me modify something- I might well be talked into suing UPS
    peace

3. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

OK Gene, OK lets get this figured out, It would be easy if i was there but i'll give it a try. Sounds like you have hooked up the wrong white wire in the ceiling box, the light fixture wires aka the black ones should go to the white wire coming back from the switch and not to the black ones in the ceiling box,

Step one remove the light fixture from the ceiling box OK
    step 2 the 2 black wires in the ceiling box should be tied together
    Step 3 turn off the light switch
    Step 4 use new light to check between the white wires, they should be apart, take one of the blacks to one white in the ceiling box and the other white to the remaining white [this is a test light so you dont need both sets of light fixture sockets at this time] when you have this hooked up flip the switch i bet the light comes on, if this is the case hook up remaining wires just like the other set and hang the light up. if this doesn't work call a electrician like myself. you should turn off the breaker before working then flip it back on just to be safe. Good Luck Steve Farver....

4. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

I know this guy who is selling new light fixtures with wiring instructions just like the ones advertised in Ohio, only his are hand selected, and for about $3.00 less. He takes no profit. But no pics. Has a boat load of 'em. So can't recommend. Just a thought.

5. atashooter

atashooter Member

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Say pretty please and I'll tell you how a switch loop works.

HM

7. halfmile

LOL ATAshooter, funny

HM

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Gene,

Get some alligator clips and a voltmeter, and learn how to use it!

9. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

1. verify that your wall switch controls white wires. 2. get a volt meter and verify that it is set to read ac voltage or, a (120vac) test light. 3. with the switch OFF, hook the red wire of the meter or light to one of the white wires in the ceiling. and the black wire of the meter to a black wire. 4. flip the switch on. Did the display on the meter change? If it reads 120vac then you have your circuit. If it doesn't, turn the switch off and change to the other white wire. Try again. If that doesn't work, switch to the other black wire and repeat steps 3 and 4. I'm not an electrician but, that should identify your circuit for you. Perhaps the next time you should label your wires before disconnecting them. I can't tell you about the extra wires though. Wire nut them off it they're not being used.

Good luck,

10. Harold

Harold TS Member

Being that your light fixture plastic is crumbling, could it be that somebody was using higher wattage bulbs than the fixture is rated for? If so, make sure the wire insulation is not brittle also.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ummm, cableguy, its normal and customary for the black wire to be the hot, and the white wire to be the neutral.

12. mobear

mobear Member

timb99,

Just because it is customary doesnt mean that it was wired that way!

Always check with meters to be safe.

13. halfmile

Ok, just so there's not an elotrocution in Iowa.

The switchloop is just another piece of wire. So the white going to it should be marked.

Your breaker was popping beause you had the closed switch across it, presenting a short.

observe the diagram. (rtfm)

HM

14. twostraight

twostraight Member

You see, probably one of the romex wires coming into the light is providing juice from the panel. The other white and black wire go to the switch/ So, if you wire nut the two blacks together, you provide juice to the switch. When you turn on the switch, you provide juice through the switch and back to the light/ Consequently, you have a white hot wire. Now, the white hot wire should be marked with black tape on the end, but may not be.

So, get out your volt meter and see which black wire coming into the light is hot. If one is, then we is cooking. Now wire nut the two blacks together to provide that juice to the switch. Turn the switch on and at the light, determine which white wire is hot using the volt meter. Mark this white wire with black tape at both the switch and light. Now connect this hot white wire to the light and the other white wire to the light. Should work

Please use a volt meter as described to ensure we is on the right track. If this doesn't work, get back on here after doing some volt meter testing and we will figure out how it is wired.

15. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Gene,
    You have mail
    Sonny

16. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Sorry guys, I screwed up on the colors and got them backwards. Been messing around with DC too much. Tmb99, thanks for setting me straight.

Shawn

17. g7777777

Thanks for all the posts and emails---------- great bunch of guys and asset

got it done

some even emailed phone numbers-- thanks again- didnt need to resort to bothering anyone on the phone

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.