1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Light 8

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Aug 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My normal shooter is a Ljutic Pro 3 LTX for both singles and 27 HC. Usual ammo is AA 1 1/8 light 8's for singles and AA Super HC 8's from the 27. Today I took a newly purchased 1992 BT-99 (Competition Inv+) to the range thinking I would sell it to a friend. Friend did not come out so I decided I would try out the BT-99 myself. Smoked 24 and missed one because my head was somewhere else. Put in a .030 tube and broke a 23 from the 27. But-- I did not bring any HC loads so I shot my normal 16yd load. I could not believe how well they broke targets. And the recoil was LOW by comparison to the SHC loads. I was really surprised. I will shoot more of the light loads from HC in both guns and give them an honest evaluation.

Anyone have a similar (good or bad) experience shooting light loads from the back fence? By the way I was really impressed with the BT-99. I have owned several and this is the only one that seems to shoot where I am looking. I think I will keep it for a back up gun. But then with the superb reliability of the Ljutic this BT may never fire at another ATA target. So many guns, such little time (LOL). Marc

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Please play all the options.....

Many thanks,

Curt

FEAB9

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I think I can get away with lite 8's on a nice warm day with no wind but otherwise I need 3 dram 7 1/2's thankyou.

4. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Trevor Dawe shot them for quite a while not too long ago. He had great success.

Each to his own.

Rick in MT

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I made it to 27 with light 8's. love them. remember you're chasing a 50 mile per hour target with something going 1150 feet per second so does 1250 feet per second make that much of a difference. Motordoc

6. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Shot on a squad my 1st time @ the 27 with Denis Bringelson in Helena this July, I was shooting Nitros 7.5's and he was shooting STS light # 8's @ 1150 fps. I shot a 95 he ran em, and a lot of them he crushed, shoots them fast out of the house. Said he had the famous "Tom Wilkinson" do his barrel work and between Denis's ability and Toms work and Remingtons "light " loads, he sure made it look easy. 2 days later, in a stong gusty wind, he shot a 94 with the same loads. He averages 94 on caps according to ATA.
    Scott

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Motordoc is right - Rudy Etchen shot 2¾ dram, 1 1/8 oz. No. 8s from the 27 yard line (unless there were stiff crosswinds). He and his 870 were quite successful.

-Gary

8. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Light 8's from 27 HC

Devon Harris won the $100,000 at the Grand with 2 3/4 #8s from 27 yards. He also broke a 99 in the GAH shooting the same light 8s. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

One of the new inductees into HOF this year shot quite a few from what I've heard.

10. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Remember, back in the day, 3 hole targets and the only shell combos available were 2 3/4 dram or 3 dram shells and it pretty much was AA,Remington or Federal for everyone.

Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.