1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifting dents

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Has anyone had success lifting small safe/storage type dents from a stock? I have used a damp towel and an iron on oak and cherry furniture before, but wanted other input before I try it. I have a walnut stock with a poly finish. Dent the size of a match head or so.

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Heat will lift the dent slightly, but water in contact with the actual wood raises it much better. The finish would have to be broken from the dent.

3. emm2

emm2 Member

I use a wet rag and an iron for dents. I have never tried to raise a dent without removing the finish on the wood at least in that area.

4. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

For small dents like yours, I usually try to fill them with a clear finish. Wipe the area off with denatured alcohol, Put a drop of polyurethane, tru-0il, permalyn, etc on the tip of a needle or pin. Support the stock so the stuff doesn't run out of the dent overnight.

Let it dry and repeat till the dent/scratch is full. Use a double edged razor blade to scrape it flush and polish out with wax, steel wool, etc. to match the sheen of the stock.

Takes a while, but they are invisible after you're done.

5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Thanks for input guys. Dents all gone!

6. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

Which way did you do it?

7. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Lol. I lifted dent with a iron and a wet wash cloth. It wasn't quite level, so I put a little true-oil in it. Let it dry over night, then knocked it off level with a tiny piece of fine sand paper and then used car wax(clear paste type)to seal it. I only prepped surface with denatured alcohol I had at work. Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.