1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lifes simple pleasures-Over 40 you'll understand

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Lifes simple pleasures-Over 40 you

-----
    REMEMBER WHEN?

"Good night and God bless.."
    I think you'll enjoy it. Whoever wrote this must have been my next door neighbor because it totally described my childhood to a 'T'. Hope you enjoy it.

Black and White

(Under age 40? You won't understand.)

You could hardly see for all the snow,

Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.

Pull a chair up to the TV set,

'Good Night, David.
    Good Night, Chet.'

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter and I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pack coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE...and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.
    "15" SRC="aoladp://MA22770829-0015/1515.gif">Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses?
    Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Play Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48-cent bottle of mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either, because if we did we got our butt spanked there and then we got our butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off.

Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house.

Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family.

How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes.

We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!

How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA. AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T, SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED.
    I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING!

Pass this to someone and remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best.

Sure as hell beats the Obama era.
    Bulge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Urbans

Urbans Member

Thanks, I grew up in Mayberry in the 50's and was so lucky. Thanks again for reminding me of how good the simple life really was.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Need T-shirts saying "I was a Mayberry Kid!"

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

To me, life's simple pleasures include:

A thick wool blanket when it's cold.

A place in the shade when it's hot.

Watching a young mother feed her baby in a high chair.

Listening to the sound of rain on a metal roof when you do not have to get up.

Watching my wife smile when she is happy and does not know I am looking.

A cup of good hot coffee in the morning.

The day after a holiday or special event when all the fuss and bother is over.

Taking the time to do a home project, like building a deck or a workbench, right.

A hot bowl of chili or chicken soup that my wife makes.

Listening to the sound of small waves as they hit the bow of your boat.

The pull of the wind on a sheet (line) when you tighten the jib on a sailboat.

The baying of good beagles on the scent of a rabbit.

The smell of Hoppe's # 9.

Reloading metallic and shot shell.

Watching our young men and women in uniform in an airport and remembering when I wore the uniform.

Watching a pretty girl walking in blue jeans.

Watching old John Wayne movies.

Remembering the times my dad took me fishing.

Being retired and having time to do simple things.

Knowing that there is a God and His Name is Jesus.

And many more ......

Ed Ward

5. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

We didn't even have have electricity let alone a TV. My mother listened to radio powered by a car battery. The outhouse was 100 feet from the house, two holes and Monkey Ward/Sears cataloges for butt wipe. You didn't want the slick pages. Always lots to do, mostly work but fun. Shooting rabbits, pheasants, and fishing. Great life and I wish I could do it over. BRGII

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

When I was 4 years old we lived in the public projects as Dad died when I was 2. We were one of the first to get a tv (1950) my mother would leave the door to our apartment open as we lived on the first floor and all the neighbors would gather by our door to watch the new invention. That's a fond memory. I think times were better then. Bulge.

7. pdq

pdq Member

yes, parents stricker then than now, as children weren't allowed to file lawsuits. My mothers' favorite punishment if one of did something wrong? Making us go out to the willow tree to find the switch she would then use on us. Very tough decision which made the punishment take longer, i.e. the thick ones really hurt, and the thin ones really would sting you. Tough decision for a 5 year old.

And yes, I think (or at least hope) that the next generation of parents won't be as over-indulgent as the current one. I agree wholehardely with this thread as I remember being happy that we had a single B&W TV, and we had a telephone, albeit a "party" line that we shared with 2 or 3 neighbors. Remember them? And yet we all seemed to survive -- when you don't know what you're missing, you don't miss it.

Pete

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

In the summer there was an old army jeep with a big tank on the back and some sort of fogging device on the rear bumper. Tons of fog came out for mosquito control. Us kids would ride our bikes in the fog and follow this contraption around for hours in the village. Wonder we all didn't die. I bet it was pure DDT.

How did we all live thru the 50's? And "duck and cover" when the sirens went off.

Bruce

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I remember my dad having an old army jeep and during the winter he pulled us and the neigbor kids behind it on a overturned Chev car hood.

He raised 6 kids on $5000 a year. 1955

My mom said of those days, "they thought they were rich at that time"

Hard work, good family life = what money could never buy

Why are those days gone? one word GREED!

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I remember being pulled around the farm on a truck hood behind the old red tractor.

Getting up at 4:30am to start the fire. God help you if you didnt bank it right the night before.

There was no TV just a radio.

Lunch was in a brown bag (used many times, like my hulls) and if you missed the bus there was no ride to school you stayed home and worked. (we never missed the bus)

I remember how cold the out house was in the winter.

I was the oldest so I didnt have to endure the endless hand-me-downs.

Even so I feel it was a better time and I know my kids don't know just how good they have it.

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

As I tell my grandkids that are now in their early 20's about the little round screen tv on my uncles refirdgerator. Our crank phone on the wall. 3 short rings was our call. Dad used to take the mouthpiece off and blow smoke in my ear when I had an earache. That was the real US of A. Two many things to tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.