1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Life's Lessons Learned from Trapshooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Jan 28, 2013.

1. biff

biff Active Member

Reflecting back on what trap has meant to me and what I have learned over the years. Expensive lessons maybe, but I learned much about life while particiating at the different places where I shot; from the hand thrown targets where the traphouse was a slanted 3/4" piece of plywood to both Vandalia and Sparta Grand American shoots! Since most shoots last all day with little else to do between events, you have a chance to meet and talk to fellow shooters from almost all states and Canada.

Here they are, not all, but what I do remember and I know there are many I have forgotten and may not have learned:

1. It's not over till it's over.

2. One target at a time.

3. Head on the stock and eye on the rock; you can't hit what you don't see.

4. When you miss, just forget it,your anger may cost you more.

5. Be prepared and don't make others wait.

6. It's not the arrow, it's the Indian. But a bow that fits makes it alot easier.

7. Use the largest legal size shot.

8. Let the outcome come at the end, not during.

9 When help is needed, be the first one to offer.

10. Remember Trap Shooting is a challenging game for enjoyment. Let every event be a memory to cherish, win or lose; and like life, it's not the destination that is important, but the journey is what it is all about! Biff

2. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Never underestimate your oponents to shoot worst than you.Your anger at missing a target and spiking the shell tells everyone on the squad that you can be had.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

11. Time flies like an arrow ........ fruit flies like a banana.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Biff:
    Well said. Best game in the world.
    Steve Balistreri

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Biff, would you please email this to me so I can print it out and frame it for my shop room? I am sure there is a way for me to do this myself, but I am too computer illiterate to do it.

email: friscojackfarrrow@yahoo.com Thanks, Martinpicker

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

What I have learned was by watching and listening and asking questions.

1. Watch the what the winners are shooting as far as Shells and Gun

2. Watch their technique that relates to how they hold the gun.

3. Their timing as to where the target is height wise when they shoot.

4. What they do between shots, do they look at the targets or somewhere else.

5. How is their gun set up, adj. rib adj stock.

6. Listen to their stories from previous shoots and years of shooting.

7. Ask a top shooter some questions after he has finished shooting or at the restraunt where you and they are eating, they usually answer anything.

8. Most trapshooters are gentlemen and ladies as a whole.

9. Learning how they concentrate on breaking a target.

10. Some of the most informative shooters I have talked to were Leo Harrison, Steve Carmichael, Vic Reindeers, Al Ljutic, Jerry and Ritchie Phillips.

11. If you read the posts on this site and the categories you will know who gives good information and those that always want to I will say this kindly ridicule someone, these you learn are the bad guys in trapshooting.

12. I relate to what I have learned over the years, and what I need to do to get my trapgun to shoot where I need it to shoot, on some it takes great modifications and others very little, and it is not the cost of the gun.

13. You get a group of trapshooters together and just talk about anything and I do mkean anything, you will hear the most funny and notorious storiesw.

14. Trapshooting is a sport that I am grateful to learn and participate in, and women shoot as an equal to the men, what other sport can this happen?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

No one is perfect.
    Some are more equal than others
    Tomorrow is MY day
    Friends can be found anywhere
    Shoot the birds one at a time
    Your score only matters to yourself.
    The guy you REALLY have to beat is that gremlin in your head.
    This really should be more like Golf--a game for Ladies and Gentlemen. sadly, it often is not.
    Watch out for that old fart with the beater M-12 or 870 !!!!!!! he can and WILL take your money !

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

If you want to get the feel of sport and life---Read "SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA" BY David L Cook.----

It's about a golfer who reached the bottom and found out what is most important in life---
    The book will relate to any sport.

It's a bit religious but will fit to anyone interested in the challenge of LIFE.

It helped me and the message is still helping me cope.

Not a long book but a worthwhile read.

You can get it on Amazon Kindle

It can only help---Just a hint---Shows what helping others can create.

George@SJB----gL---

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nice thread, thanks for starting it.

10. indycamster

indycamster Member

Great lessons from a fellow traveler on the Trap road. The road is long, but if I have learned anything, it is: "Stay in the Present." Now that can be the second it takes to mount the gun, pull the trigger and watch the target explode, or it can be a couple of hours spent in the shade, after a shoot, talking and sharing with fellow trap travelers. It takes some effort to "squeeze the juices," out of life, but Trap can give you a better grip, right to the last drop.
    Keep squeezing Biff...and Thank you.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

"I missed an easy one". People assume that it's a straightaway that it was an easy target; not so. BT100dc

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Trap shooting is my lifelong endeavor. Like a trail running through mountains and valleys, my game has never been the same, day to day, month to month, or year to year. Perhaps, thats why it appeals to me. Always looking but never finding perfection.

13. snapshot

snapshot TS Member

My number one trap lesson which I must say that I never could master 100 times in a row would be "Concentration"...total concentration on one target at a time...nothing else.
    My number one life lesson...We could have retired, built a new home, bought a houseboat, new vechile, and more on the dollars we spent on Trapshooting but we would not have met some of the nicest people in the world or have the memories that we have which are priceless. Like my Biff always says..."It's not the Destination but the Journey that matters"!
    For all that read this...Enjoy your journey in 2013!

14. biff

biff Active Member

To say I was addicted to shooting trap would be an understatement! If there were targets to be shot, no matter the weather or even the distance, I wanted to be there making 'empties"! A 14 hour drive to Odessa, Florida was equivalent to a short drive to the grocery, or to the Spring Grand in Tucson--no problem!

I don't know what it was about Trap. It became almost the ultimate challenge for me especially getting started at age 65, I had so much to learn and I tried "tried n true" methods as well as a lot of "Wacky Ways" to break targets and believe me I tried everything I possibly could and then some! Trap was a way of finding my potential, it wasn't so much of competing with others as it was tryingreach a higher level to improve everytime I shot, like never missing(IF YOU NEVER MISS, YOU CAN"T BE BEATEN).

I realize I am at the twilight stage in my life as far as trapshooting goes, that is a humbling thought to finally come to a realization that you are no longer the man you once thought you were. Two cataract surgeries, gall bladder operation, kidney stones, and seeing muscle tone diminish even with regular exercise does bring reality knocking on your door; selling your tournament grade Ljutic is very much like an admission that sitting on the porch with the small dogs is your future now.

I do plan to shoot trap more for pure enjoyment without some lofty goal and go to some of the shoots like our Ky. State Shoot in order to see some of the many friends I have made, where my proudest moment might only be in getting to sing the national anthem(I'm not a singer except in the shower where I practice singing it all the time!). Those 10 things I mentioned can truly apply to life and have been overused and trite so many times in trapshooting discussions that they were almost a joke, but not in reality when correctly applied! Biff

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

'If you think about it long enough, you can screw up anything'

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Never accept a reload from someone else, especially if you know the have messed with black powder and chicken feathers.

17. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

the nice people that i meet. this means a lot more than the scores the guns the equipment etc. i find that i want to work harder at being a gentleman this is what trapshooting has taught me.trapshooting has some great people and i am glad that i am part of it.thnks howard

18. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Setterman, I know exactly what you mean. lol lol

Hauxfan!

19. windyflat

windyflat Member

George... Thank you very much for mentioning "SEVEN DAYS IN UTOPIA"
    I watched it after seeing your post. I can honestly say its one of the best movies I've ever seen!!
    Please take some time to watch the movie or read the book.
    I'm not ashamed to say it brought tears to my eyes.

Thanks again George!

Tom

20. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Black Powder and Chicken feathers? Hmmm... I gotta learn how to make that shell!! LOL

Chuck