1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Life Memberships and their intended purpose

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

In the beginning when before land was purchased by affluent Trapshooters and National Cash Register, The Shooters and NCR and others wanted their land purchased in Vandalia Ohio to be protected, for the sport of trapshooting and have a facility large enough to handle large competetions. These men were trap-shooters and had money of their own. They SOLD life Memberships so they could come up with the funds to not only buy the grounds but to BUILD buildings and have enough investors to facilitate a loan and have the ability to pay it back.

Vandalia, Ohio is the home of trapshooting as we knew it in 2004 and the prior years. What happened was over time the BOD and EC members that were real trapshooters and wanted the sport to flourish died and passed away and new people were elected that had other ideas.

Ideas of how they wanted the sport to be run. It developed into the GOOD OLE
    BOYS club. They saw the money that was being generated, and had the ATA pay their shooting expenses, travel expenses, and give the PRESIDENT A $20,000
    Dollar gun. This was not going on in the beginning.

I believe some presidents were given guns by GUN MANUFACTURERS because of the influence of the shells being sold and targets being sold.

The right word for what was happening was GREED and they developed the SUCCESSION idea and series of Vice Presidents to be in line for a NEW GUN.

We Trapshooters members were very NIAEVE and stupid and were led down the path
    to what has developed now.

We elected GOOD SHOOTERS over the years that influenced what was happening in the following years.

The Original Founders Were Mean Of Integrity, Donated their tiome and money to see our wonderful sport of TRAPSHOOTING FLOURISH.

That was the reason of the wording of the Early LIFE MEMBERSHIPS, simply meant.

That if ever the HOME GROUNDS were to sold or transferred it had to be done by a vote of the life members, if it were to be sold the monies would be divided
    amongst LIVING LIFE MEMBERS as it was their MONEY that built it.

Now over the years the ELECTED GOOD OLE BOYS had control and through manipulation of Corporate Law Changed the original by-laws and then re-incorporated into the state of ILLINOIS under new corporate laws.

Was all this done by the letter of the law? I THINK NOT.

The Original Corp under 501(c) as filed in the State Of Delaware. Was changed
    little by little and some was done by an in house Attorney of the ATA and Secretary who made and OPINION dictated some more changes.

The ATA knew years ago that the LIFE MEMBERS controlled the fate of TRAPSHOOTING IN VANDALIA OHIO.

They the ATA BOD and EC had to come up with a way to REMOVE THE POWER OF THE LIFE MEMBERS.

What we did was, we did not select our delegates properly.

What Happened is not water under the bridge yet.

Members were led to slaughter blindly and unknowingly.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I told you Blade, it only took one post quicker than yours. LOL Now, how many ways can I spend the inheritance the good Dr. is going to get for me?

3. running bear

running bear Member

Dr. Longshot,

Don't you get tired of beating a dead horse. How many threads are you going to start on this? This is a dead issue. If you don't like it sue the ATA.

Buck

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

If you guys ignore him, they will slide down to the end, unless he updates or you can hijack them and change the subject matter.

Everyone has the right to speak, nobody has the right to be heard.

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

DLS, this is the first time that I have seen you post with what appears to be your complete message. Many of your other posts are so cryptic that it is hard to understand what you are trying to say. This is obviously a subject that is very dear to you so it is good that you finally put all of the pieces together into one story.

6. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I agree Avaldes, it is one of his best stories... so far. I'm going to leave him alone this time, he's like the energizer bunny.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Ask ole Longshot what he pays per year for dues or what did he pay for his Lifetime membership. Answer he pays nothing annually and only paid less than $100 for his life card.

He contributes next to nothing to the ATA. No dues for how many years, approximately $50 in target fees over the last 4 years. But he bitches about the ATA endlessly. He sure as hell isn't an active member as he would like you to believe. Bottom line he gives the ATA no financial support but wants to have wholesale changes made to the entire system to suit him.

Doesn't shoot and doesn't pay but wants you to help him make changes to the system you use and financially support.

What a joke.

Don

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I know that Earl Toliver was ATA president over 50 years ago. Earl last shot with the same M 12 he shot all his life. He did not receive a gun when he left office. The Jenkins brothers from southwest Indiana were presidents prior to Earl, neither received guns. BUT, way before 2004 or 1964, The ATA was a "Good Ole Boys network" it's just changed for the worse over time. Early on, I believe it was a "Power" thing. It has since grown into a monetary thing. I don't like it, as retirement nears I will attempt to be active and run for delegate. I love the sport and most of the people in it.

My life membership cost me $50. in 1968. I have over 350,000 registered birds so with ATA fees, how much have I donated? I've shot at over 10,000 targets annually for the last 20 years.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

And some black people still think they're entitled to 40 acres and a mule.

I think Longshot has established himself as the Al Sharpton of trapshooting.

10. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Now that's a first. Calling fees paid to shoot ATA targets a "donation". No, a donation is something for which you expect nothing in return. Paying for targets is your choice as your hobby. Donation? Like any hobby we pay to play.

11. Rick Barker

Bigdon

Interesting!

12. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Rick,

I don't have a lifetime membership and regret it. I quit shooting for 10 years and regret that too.

I don't have a horse in this race as this is an argument between some people that have an emotional commitment to the issue and the sport.

You don't even go to your state shoot because it is further away now but still in your state. Your choice, but you certainly don't have a horse in this race either.

Think about it.

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

bigdon has made me feel guilty for being a life member and not paying annual dues. Perhaps I should resign my life membership so I can pay annual dues like him.

I don't remember what I paid for my life membership but you can bet it was far more than $100 in 2012 value dollars, probably $500 or more.

14. Rick Barker

Thanks joe, so interesting that you have a better grip on my issues than I do.

The reason I don't go to my State Shoot, are for reasons of other important commitments that do not allow me to be gone from my residence for more than a couple days at a time.

Same reasons I don't attend the Grand.

When the State was on this side of the divide, I could attend the shoot by day and attend to my obligations by night.

Warning: do not say anymore about my situation you know nothing about.

And I beg to differ, I am a life member and I do everything I can to put the ATA in a positive light, unlike some jackasses on this site who do mothing but tear it down, because they can't shoot anything better than an 68 average.

15. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Rick...

You mentioned it 2 days ago...

I have to assume your personal life situation doesn't include a lifetime membership.

Some things come back around don't they.

16. Rick Barker

Wrong nameisbutthead, I have been a life member for almost 40 years, and last time, back off!

Perhaps I should tell people who you are in addition to your ATA nimber that ends in 550.

17. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

You brought it up Rick

18. Rick Barker

Joseph R. McPeek

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Mr. Galt I have been a lifer for years and contribute many 100's in target fees annually. Plan on contributing more this weekend. Feel guilty if you want but do you come on here and advocate wholesale changes in the ATA?

Don

20. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

C'mon Don, Don't get distracted by this foolishness. You're supposed to be in training for the shoot out with the good Dr. Gary Longshorts. I've got big bucks riding on you. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.