1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Life Membership

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by C Prince, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

What are the benefits to having an ATA Life Membership?

Chad

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

If you are young enough it may save you some money over the long haul assuming the ATA survives long enough. As a life member, if you have the desire, you can run for delegate. Having spent the money for a life membership pretty late in life, and having expereienced the good old boy BS in the organization I wish I had saved my money. RJM

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You can become a Delegate.

Lots of work, listen to alot of whining from your state's whiners and crybabies for no pay.

Preferred parking at your state, zone and grand shoots.

I'm sure others will chime in with more benefits...just standby.

Curt

4. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

CHAD..............its "good" for the rest of your life!!!!!!! I just had to do it...AHAHAHHHAHAHA....run'em

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

A couple of years ago the ATA was approved for 501 (c)-3 status, so that dues can be considered a charitable deduction. I had the spare cash at the time, so I signed up for Life Membership and listed it as a contribution. I, unlike RJM, have no regrets. Although I probably won't be shooting long enough that annual memberships (at the current rates) will ever catch up to the Life payout, I figure that the ATA can put my contribution to good use. Also, who's to say that the annual membership will stay stable over the next twenty-five years?

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

RJM: Please tell or give me an example of the "Good old Boys" BS that you claim exsists???

Chad: It shows continuing support of "your" organization. Life memberships usually rise in cost over the years therefore if you buy now you will save money. One of the crybabies on this site paid I believe $50 for his. You don't have the annual hassle of paying your dues and looking for your card so you can shoot. If dues rise yours will not. It's kind of neat laying that gold card down at classification, shows what and who you are.

If you can handle the cost then do it.

Don

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You don't have to write a check every year, other than that "Nothing", except you can be a delegate if you get in the clique ... The gold card and bus fare will still get you on the same bus, not sure they care who you are if you are riding the bus anyway ... You used to get a patch that says life member but that may of changed by now, not sure ... They eliminated the Life Members rights to vote back when the "Good Old Boys" club didn't want to have to deal with them ... (Life Member of the ATA since 1975 and NRA since 1975 also) ... You do get your new membership card first every year if that matters to you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Friend of mine got his Life Membership when he was 17 . Now at 51 he is $600.00 ahead . Personally a Life Membership in anything does not benefit any organization in the long run .

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I became a Life Member in the early 1970's for 100 bucks so it has worked out real well. Back then I saw no "Good Ole Boys" club going on and today I see no "Good Ole Boys" thing goin' on. Go to these wonderful shoots we have, Pay the entry fees, play the options if you want, and enjoy the Association we belong to.....forget that other crap!!!.............Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

You can also get life membership at a reduced rate when you reach 65. If you are in good health, it could be a good deal esppecially if dues were to go up.

Bob

11. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

So what is the reduced rate at 65????D.Lang

12. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Senior (65 yr or more) priced at 250.00

Bob

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

$25 Life Membership was initiated in 1924, to pay the mortgage on the new building at Vandalia. Every issue of Sportsmen's Review - then the trapshooting magazine - had an application form for Membership, and annuals were $1.

The mortgage was not paid for a number of years and the Life Membership Certificate stated the member had a vote in the proceedings of the association and the real property could not be sold with out membership approval.

When the Vandalia property was sold it was revealed, many years after the fact, that during the reign of Maynard Henry, the vote clause was removed from the members rights.

The price was still $25 when I bought my Life membership in 1946. It does usually assure me of a warm welcome when I register to shoot, so I guess it was worth it.

14. J. Ridgeway

J. Ridgeway TS Member

ATA life membership in Feburary 1970 was $50.00 and you needed three (3) life members to sign your application for your membership. It was a good buy for me but not for the ATA.

J.T.Ridgeway DVM

15. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I'm with mignery. 1967 was $50.00 too. It was a lot of money for a young guy starting a family. No regrets here.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Not meant to be a bargain item. It's a commitment of allegiance to an organization or entity that you believe in and want to be a part of.

17. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Barry, you hit the nail on the head, and.. you dont have to go thru the hasell of renewing year after year for something that you wwill probably participate in if you really love the sport.

Bob

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I got my life membership when I was 65---7 years to break even. I really want to get ahaead on this one. Let me win---please !!!!!

Phil Berkowitz

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

A lifetime support of trapshooting. Because I don't have to pay annual dues, it makes it easier to make an annual donation to the Hall of Fame.

Pat Ireland

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought life memberships for our son and myself for $300 each when he was 12 and I was 46. We're now 28 and 62, so we've both about broken even.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
paid my ata dues but dont have a card yet can i still shoot
ata life membership

ata lifemembrship