1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Life in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pdq, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

In addition to this Forum, I also monitor one with about 2,000 Nikon photographers, mainly advanced amateurs and a bunch of pros. Like this site, discussions go beyond just camera equipment and photgraphy. The site is run by a German guy who has lived in Tokyo for many years -- at least until a few days ago. Here's his latest report. No drama or fanfare, just a glimpse into reality there, not the way you'd see it presented on TV.

Since I got so many private messages about the situation in Tokyo,I just like to share that we moved to Germany, for the safety of my daughter, who was just 5 weeks old as the earthquake hit...

People who don't have a small child and live in Tokyo might not understand that the situation here became very complicated, we had warnings that the drinking water was not safe for consumption by babies or breastfeeding mothers and had to rely on bottled water. Unfortunately it was sold out everywhere and every day you could find more desperate mothers on bicycles scouting the neighborhood and all vending machines, but it was very hard to come by. Good friends and family came all the way to bring us water, which was really nice,but this situation was hard to sustain long term.

Even basic necessities like diapers and toilet paper were soldout everywhere - we literally left after using the very last roll from our emergency pack, which we bought around 6 years back. We also had more than 500 (!) after shakes since the big one and the permanent threat of the atomic reactor only 250km away from our location was a bit much.

We and practically everybody we talked to suffered from 'Jishin Yoi', which can be best translated as 'Earthquake Sickness' and totally affects your balance system. It was hard to differentiate between a real earthquake and an imagined one...it just felt like shaking all the time. Even on the way to the airport there were two Magnitude 6 earthquakes - not something you read in the news, because they are minor compared to the magnitude9 earthquake which started all of this.

Additionally to the earthquakes and the side effects, the economy and jobs for freelancers instantly imploded and there was not much to do about this in the short term, so we donated most of our stuff and sold or threw away the rest and got a one-way ticket to Germany. Currently we are staying at my mothers place in the countryside, but move to Berlin in the next week and start from scratch. That was neither my or my wifes favorite choice, but looking at my baby sleeping right next to me, we know its best for her.

We can imagine going back to Tokyo in a few years, but not before we know that things settled down and the situation becomes more stable and safe again.

Pete

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Profoundly devastating.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Puts our worries about the high price of shot (or what ever) in proper perspective. Have to admire the strength of the people that are dealing with this disaster.

4. pdq

pdq Member

Wolfram:

well said.

We all that things that torque us, but small potatoes compared to having to sell or abandon all your worldly posessions to be able to buy a one way ticket just to be able to have drinkable water for your family.

And, this guy had a small free-lance photo business over in Tokyo, so not like he was rolling in dough.

Pete

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What class and dignity these people have, could you imagine the scene if this happened in any major American city?

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

Shannon, it did happen in a major American city. Remember Katrina? I spent a couple of years in Japan 70-72, and you are right on the class and dignity. No looting...etc. Pray for them. Mike

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I am currently reading the book, "one Second After" the story of life here post EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse" from a nuke fired off over the US! Scary stuff!!!

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Frank,

That's a very good read, makes one think...

If you like that one you have to read "lights out" by hallfast.

Another good oldie is "Alas Babylon".

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that one Frank, it will have your attention. As far as Japan goes, yes they will recover because of their resiliance and heritage. I guess I need to make another contribution to AmeriCares for them. Check them out, a great organization that has just a 2% overhead because of all their volounteers. We are blessed, even with all that's wrong here today. Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.