1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Licensee shipping gun to non-licensee for work?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have a customer who's interested in sending me a gun to have my barrel weights installed. the gun is a 3 barrel browning, and he wishes to have the gun match weighted and balanced. He just informed me that he holds an FFL. However, I don't believe that it is legal for him to ship the whole gun to me since I do not have a FFL. Thoughts? The shipping companies seem to be pretty clear than it is not legal to ship any gun TO a non-licensee, regardless if its being shipped FROM a licensee or not. I'd like to be able to do the job for him, but i'm not willing to risk it if its not legal for me to receive the gun. please, no suggestions on how to circumvent the law,,,i'm to pretty for prison LOLOLOL

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Skeet man, do you know an FFL holder? Perhaps your customer could ship to him/her, you could do the work, and then ship back from your FFL holder. The transaction passes from FFL to FFL.

Dennis

3. skeet_man

Thats what I was thinking might work, but is going to add another $30+ to the transaction. i'll keep that in mind as an option though.

4. Bulldog50

Bulldog50 TS Member

I believe there are different standards for the shipment of firearms to be serviced or repaired. For instance, an individual can send a gun in for repairs to a manufacturer and have it sent directly back to him or her. I'd call ATF at 1-866-662-2750. They can answer your question.

5. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Have him ship the barrels in one package and the stock and receiver in another.

DB3006

6. skeet_man

DB3006- That would not make it any more legal. The receiver in and of itself is considered a "firearm", and is subject to the same regulations as a whole gun shipped together.

7. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Sorry I did not know that!

DB3006

8. alpine

alpine TS Member

If I am correct in what you are saying, you only need the barrels to properly weigh and match the weights.

So have him ship the barrels and not the reciever. No problem.

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I do believe taht the rules are that someone cannot be a gunsmith without being an FFL. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Bill

10. skeet_man

Alpine- Thats what I suggested, but the customer wants the whole gun to balance on hinge, as well as each individual barrel to be matched weighted.

Bill- I doubt what I do would qualify as "gunsmithing", since i'm not making any modifications to the gun itself, only adding the weights (same as I doubt mounting a scope on a rifle would be considered gunsmithing, or cleaning a gun for someone, or fitting a recoil pad, ect), I really couldn't say for sure. However, I may not be able to "possess" the gun for any amt of time given the fact that I don't have an ffl and am not a gunsmith.

11. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bill Haskins is correct. My ATF agent states that a gunsmith who takes in firearms for repair or whatever must have an FFL, maintain an A&D book and be subject to inspection to be legal. An Gunsmith FFL cannot execute ATF form 4473 or transfer firearms.
    Mike Battista
    Silver Dollar Firearms

12. skeet_man

So if I'm reading this right, there is no way to legally receive and hold the firearm while I make the weights, correct? I was worried about that. It is the first time anyone has wanted to send me the whole gun, i've always just had the customer take the measurements, I make the weights, and they install them when they are received.

13. skeet_man

Problem solved, I told the customer I wouldn't be interested in having him ship the whole gun to me no matter what. Just way too much hassle for the amt of money we're talking about.

14. 2@8lo

2@8lo TS Member

Oh and by the way, You are definately not to pretty for prison.

15. skeet_man

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Quote--"An(sic) Gunsmith FFL cannot execute ATF form 4473 or transfer firearms"

Yes he can. The FFL for a gunsmith is exactly the same FFL that any licensed dealer would have. There is no "special" gunsmith license.

A gunsmith CAN, during his application process, state that his business hours are by appointment, a dealer cannot. An FFL dealer must have, in most situations, a store-front business, a gunsmith does not.

As for the original question...Never can a "NON FFL" person accept a firearm/receiver, through shipment, UNLESS, that person had just previously shipped it to a holder of an FFL (dealer), or a licensed repair center (gunsmith or manufacturer).

Doug Braker

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

What's $30.00 for a transaction if the guy wants to pay for it go through your local dealer.
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.