1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Liability insurance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 5inarole, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5inarole

5inarole TS Member

What would be a ball park price on liability insurance for a trap field. We are thinking of putting one in for our 4h team. It would be on a family farm.

2. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Many gun club liability insurance policies are priced based on gross revenue. You are installing a private trap field on your farm and are not making money as in you are not actually in the gun club business. I would run this past my personal agent before getting involved with Sportsmans Insurance etc. For what you are doing, I would guess the price to be under a grand per year. But this is not my line of business, I just know a bit about gun club insurance.

3. 5inarole

5inarole TS Member

Thanks for info we are just trying to save the kids money where they can shoot more than twice a month. It was 4.50 a round plus shells last year.Our practice field is thirty miles away.

4. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

We gross between 25k & 30k per year, are incorporated, run 3 traps, have one employee and it runs about 123.00 per month. This also accounts for structure(s)and property loss. Our insurance agent is also an active member. P.S. We don't sell beer, wine or liquor. That is quite a bit extra.

5. 5inarole

5inarole TS Member

We get to use the 2 fields every other sunday, with about 35 to 40 kids it takes awile. With our on field maybe we can save a little money.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The company that insures your farm gets wind they won't be able to cancel you fast enough would be my take. The gun club company won't want the farm exposure and vice Versa. It's a tough thing to find coverage for. Good luck Jeff

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sportsmans" Insurance will take care of you.

8. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Remember you have a future lead disposal problem too mine it is not a easy thing by hand Jon

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At last cont, there are almost 20 companies that mine lead. They want 2 million targets thrown to make mining worthwhile. The general split is 1/3 to the club. A club with reloaders would prabably buy a lot of shot for scrap price.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Listen to Jeff. Check with your farm ins. Company. A personal range probably wouldn't be a problem BUT bring 40 kids and parents on to your property on a regular basis or the opening up of the range to others is a risk your farm company wouldn't be willing to take. I have never seen any gun club/range insurance policy that would or could handle your special needs of the farm. If you were a client of mine I would strongly advise against it. I applaud your efforts but in todays lawyer riddled world you are putting your personal assets at risk. In addition with the lead drop you are bringing the environmentist and the EPA into your life. Depending on where the lead drop is you could potentially loose marketabilty of what you grow or raise.

Why don't you ask your club if you can have some private time to use their facilities and do all the work. If you could rent there facility and just pay actual costs because you would provide all the labor. It would be like your private range without the investment. Trade labor for range time possibly.

Good Luck.

Don

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mining lead and clean up are two different things

Mining lead- under optimal conditions will most likely get the soil lead levels down to 20,000 to 30,000 parts per million

The current gold standard is 400 parts per million

-------------

on the issue of insurance- get a lot of quotes-- but your problem is opening this to the public- I wonder if it was just occassional use by guests if an umbrella rider would cover it- you couldnt run it as a buisness and would probably have to let the kids shoot for free- but maybe you could get a grant to cover your costs

Gene

12. 5inarole

5inarole TS Member

Don what if we least the land to the 4h or the state where the game wardens could bring the hunters edu class to shoot. I dont know, just thinking.Its alot of work to try to help.

13. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you did lease the land to others make sure that the lease agreement requires that they maintain the Liablity Ins.,you require the amount be at least 1 million and that you are named as an "additional insured" on the policy. You would still have the lead problem.

It's not easy being the good guy.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.