1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lewis score

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KENENT1, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

can anyone give me the formula for figuring pay outs for a lewis class??

tony

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Percentage, or high gun?

HM

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I would like both......looking to make an excell spreadsheet to figure payouts.

thanks!

tony

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

KENENT1 You can try this I am not totally sure that this is accurate but anyone that cashiers can confirm or dispute the accuracy of it. Hope it helps

I don't know much about excell but I do know that the payout formula for the lewis formula is different almost every shoot based on number of entries and payout types and percentages.

Bob Lawless

5. halfmile

Here is the high gun table. If you use ties divide(everyone does) remember you use up one money for each tie.

So if your program states 1 for 5 high in 3 lewis classes, ties divide, you have to put the appropriate monies in each class depending on how many shooters you have. Example: 60 shooters, 20/class, 4 monies per class.

If there are 3 95's and one 94, the 95's divide 90%(40+30+20 %) and the 94 gets 10%, thus you have met the 40-30-20-10 criteria.

And you have paid out 4 monies per class.

I don't think I have to describe the percentage system other than noting that you should state on your program how you use it. That is, if you say 60/40 you should state by score, (all 95's divide 60%, 94's 40% for exammple) or other method if you so choose.

Clear as mud, right?

HM

6. halfmile

Ivanhoe, someone should help Bart, LOL.

HM

7. ivanhoe

halfmile I am sure I missed something, Bart? Although I don't know what.

Bob Lawless

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Bart is the guy that had a 70 in the example.

thanks guys, I can work with this info!

tony

9. ivanhoe

KENENT1,halfmile I told you I missed something. I never even looked at the scores only the group sizes. HM you are right though he does need a little instruction.

Bob Lawless

10. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

Yes, I can it is very easy, what should happen, take your number of shooter and divide them into how many classes you want. Normally that is 3 classes, however it can be more. Take you number of shooters and divide by the number of classes. The high score get the 1st class, if more than one shooter has the high score the divide it up. The number that you got when divide all your shooter, you count down from the high score, that gives you then next break. You must count every score, to get to the right place. In other words if you had 30 shooters, and 3 classes, you count down ten scores from the top and that is your 2nd Lewis break, then 10 more for your next one. You can go 50,30,20% bot dividing them all equal seems better, most of the time

11. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Kenent1,

The link in Bob's post is the best of the examples provided. Please note, that the example is for a "one money" lewis class payout. If it were split 60/40 or 50/30/20 (sometimes referred to 2 or 3 monies per class) the payouts would be different. The lines would be in the same place though.

To throw another curve in is the "high gun" caveat. You will see some lewis' reported as 60/40 High Gun. All that means is that if there is more than one score of X that "hits", the payout will be split between the multiple scores rather than split the 60/40.

The example Bob linked to, in a 60/40 split the 100 would pay $38.40, 99's - 12.80. In group 4 the 90's would pay 9.60 and the 89's - 12.80.

If it were 60/40 High Gun, the group 1 payout would be as above, but the other groups would payout per the linked example.

Under no circumstances will Bart get any money.

The chart that Halfmile included is for a HIGH GUN purse, not a lewis purse.

This will be quite an EXCEL project I believe. Way more complicated than I could do. Good luck.

12. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I think the excel project is over my head also.....at least we have some guide lines to go by.

tony

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Why not buy the 3S shooting software package and let the computer do all the work?

Eric

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

Eric, the 3s software is not a bad idea, but to get started, I think it will be cheaper to figure it by hand, also when some one else ask the the same question "how does a Lewis class work?" at least I can give the impression that I know what is going on. lol

In Darian, WI...they always figure it by hand for all the ATA shoots.

tony

15. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

A year or two ago I built an excel spreadsheet that will automatically figure lewis class. It was a little difficult to initially figure out which formulas to use in which order to make excel figure Lewis. Lewis is logical, so is excel. I will try to put together a pdf tutorial in the near future to explain the nuts and bolts. If you are fairly fluent in excel I could email you an example and you could bend it around to make it work for you.

Besides Lewis the sheet also has 16, handicap, 50 straight, Hi Gun, Long Run, Lady/Jr Purse, and yardage group options. I've done a couple of them for different clubs. Explain your system and it is possible that I've already built a sheet that will work for you.

Jake

PS- this program has paid out nearly $40,000 worth of purses/options that I know of with no known errors (occasional operator error not included).

16. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Kenent1,

The 3S software does everything you need to run a shoot, from entrys to generating the paperwork for your state association and the ATA. We've been using 3S software for almost 5 years and it has done away with all the time consuming and error prone entrys, squading, payouts, reports, changes, etc, that used to plague our paperwork. George Cook who is Mr.3S is always available by phone to help with tech support. It's not an expense, it's an investment that can make life easier for shoot management and the shooter.

Eric

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

jptrap....email above.

were are wanting to enter names and scores, then figure payouts and print it out.

tony

18. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I agree with many of the other posters - don't try to reinvent the wheel, go with 3S.

Not only will it figure your purses and options, but it will help with classifying - you can download the latest data from the 3S website with ATA records updated every few weeks. It will generate files with all the records you need that can be emailed directly to the ATA. It generates a financial report on your shoot. The best thing is that George is available to answer any questions. I can't remember a time when he hasn't got back to me very quickly, if he wasn't immediately available.

See the website, link above.

19. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

these shoots are non registered, and we are not making any money off them, it's just a group of guys having fun....

the 3s software is a great tool.....but there is no money to purchase it.

thanks!!

tony

20. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

tony,

email sent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to score lewis in trap
is there a excel spreadsheet for lewis class purses

lewis score