1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lewis class payouts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sawachip, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sawachip

sawachip TS Member

Can someone explain to me what they mean when they say the lewis class is high gun or hoa
    I understand how lewis class works but not really sure about the payouts. Isnt it that one is that all the high scores split all the prize money and another all the high scores split the 1st place money then the second high score get the second, or something like that
    I hope this question is understanable and thanks for your help

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Lewis is usually set up as a 2 place, two group payout. The two highest scores i.e. 98 & 96 take the first and second place money in the first group with ties dividing. The payout is the same for the second group.

You can decide how many groups to pay. At my club we pay two groups with 29 or less in the Lewis and three groups with 30 or more. Hope this is helpful.

Eric

3. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Is there any way to make this a permanant link to stop the near-monthly questions about lewis classes?

Nothing against you sawachip, just seems like this topic comes up over and over again...

John

4. sawachip

sawachip TS Member

Thanks for your help Eric and John I had previously checked out the site you listed but it didnt answer my question thats why I posted here. Im sorry if I didnt word it clearly but what I was wondering about was when, say there is 3 payouts per class and there are a 97,96 and 95. Are there times when there are 2 97's and they split the first and second place money then the 96 takes the 3rd place money and the 95 is just out. Then there is a time when the 97's would just split the first place money and the 96 and 95 each get there respective payouts. Is one of these hight gun or hoa and which is wich.
    again I appreciate the help

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Most clubs use the percentage system, which is easier. But the High gun system distributes the money more fairly. sometimes if a shooter lands all alone on a number he collects big, and there is less money to spread around to others.

Using a one for 5 high gun with 3 Lewis classes was my program.

HM

6. sawachip

sawachip TS Member

I keep hearing that the shooting sports are loosing participants. I know I am new to the sport and when I go to shoots I can feel intimidated because im not 100% sure what is going on. I know you meant nothing John but your response is just the type that drives new people away. I had a simple question and you had to make me feel stupid asking it. If you didnt want to deal with it you should have just passed over it. Most of the shoots I go too I meet tons of nice people who are more than willing to help, but it only takes a few people who dont want to deal with new people to drive us all away.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I believe the basic question asked by sawachip is the difference between a purse and a high gun purse. This is an excellent question. The two are misunderstood by many, including some those who calculate the pay outs. These terms apply to all purses so lets just ignore the Lewis class payouts and look at a single pay out purse.

First, a purse that pays three places, 50-30-20 and the high scores are 97,96,96,95. The 97 would pay 50% of the purse. The two 96's would split 30% of the purse (15% each) and the 95 would get 20% of the purse.

But, a high gun purse would be calculated differently. The 97 would still get 50% of the purse, and the two 96's would split second and third place combined. They would each get 25% of the total purse (30%+20%/2).

Many get the terms purse and high gun purse confused.

Pat Ireland

8. sawachip

sawachip TS Member

Thanks Pat thats exactly what I was looking for, and thanks to all the replied

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Around here they ususlaly pay 60-40 woth the percentage system.

60% to the best score, 40% to the second best.

Ties divide of course.

Sometimes this results in many very small payouts, but as I said it's easier.

Good answer, Pat.

HM

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pat and sawachip, here in the west (in my experience) the first example would be listed as "Percentage" or often listed as "Paid Percentage while the 2nd example would be "High Gun" or "Paid High Gun." In another example for Paid 50, 30, 20 Hi-Gun similar to Pat's; if there were 3 - 97s 4- 96s, and 6 - 95s, the three 97s would split equally the total amount of the purse. It's been my method of remembering that in "High Gun" the highest scores reap the majority (or all) of the money....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- So many shooters now do not understand the terms purse and high gun purse. Adding several different names for these already confusing terms will add to the confusion. Is it possible that much of the fussing about purses is due to the fact that many shooters do not understand them.

Many shooters will not enter a purse that pays only the top score in an event. But, they will enter a Lewis purse without realizing that 1/3 of the purse is paid to the top score in a straight Lewis. In a modified Lewis, 2/3 of the purse can be paid only to the top scores.

Pat Ireland

12. motrap

motrap Member

Pat ........

I do not understand your aversion to "Percentage Purse" and "High Gun Purse" ...... as Bob Dodd said ....... Bob's way there is no confusion about how the purse is paid (there may be confusion about what "percentage" means and/or what "high gun" means, but that's an education thing, either you learn it or you don't) ........ but, saying there is a purse to be paid 50%/30%/20% and not saying the method (either percentage, high gun, rose point, or any of the several other systems that are/have been used,) ...... an understanding of how the purse is paid, depends on you being into the mind of the guy who wrote the program ....... not so good ...... as an example, there is a local club that has been figuring a Lewis Class the same way for decades ...... but, my first time there (20 years ago) I mentioned that they had made a mistake in figuring the Lewis pay-out [ They pay the top class as normal, but the second and third classes are paid(split) to all tied scores that the division line first falls into (regardless of the quantities of those tied scores that are above or below this line, rather than adjust the line and pay according to Lewis Class division rules. ]

They continue this system, ...... and I have no problem, now that I know (I would rather they not call it "Lewis Class" since they do not figure it according to the rules,) but all regulars understand, and seldom are there new shooters who care .........

Pat ....... "1/3 of the purse is paid to the top score in a straight Lewis. In a modified Lewis, 2/3 of the purse can be paid only to the top scores." I am seldom confused by a statement made by a knowledgeable person concerning purses/pay outs, ....... but I have wasted hours (over several days) trying to understand this statement before writing this ...... I have played with schematics, test circumstances, everything I can think of ..... I assume I'm getting senile ....... but, will you please explain that statement "In a modified Lewis, 2/3 of the purse can be paid only to the top scores." Sorry to bother you, (I do know what a Modified Lewis is,) but I just cannot figure out what this statement is saying ........... and "I gots to know ....... "

Thanks, Rudy

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Rudy, I'm not Pat but my immediate thought when he gave us that idea was that the management is apparently paying 2/3 of the pot to the class with the highest score(s) and only 1/3 of the pot to the lower class(es). Probably no more complicated than that....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. motrap

motrap Member

Pat .........

After Bob's thought I am thinking that maybe I do not know what a modified Lewis is (at least your idea of a modified Lewis, we're back to having to be "into-the-mind" of the writer.)

I remain confused ......... Please, help me out here ...........

Rudy

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll try to un-confuse, Rudy: Lets say there are 30 shooters @ $10 apiece for a $300 dollar pot and it's paid to two classes, 2/3 and 1/3. At the end, the 30 scores would be listed from top to bottom and the 2/3 ($200) would go to the highest score (winner of top class) and 1/3 ($100) would go to the top score in the lower class which is your 16th score. Now, I'll stop here cuz I frankly, have never heard of a modified Lewis but Pat's brief description makes me think the above could have 2/3 of the pot going to the top class and 1/3 going to the lower class....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how is a lewis class purse calculated