1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lewis & Clark Air Rifle.....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hauxfan, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

How many of you very knowledgeable folks out there even knew that a rifle like this even existed? I know I didn't.

It was a surprise to me.

Enjoy!

Lewis & Clark Air Rifle!

Hauxfan!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very cool. Had no idea anything like this existed. Thanks for sharing that Haux.

Matt

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

I saw this awhile back. I just find it amazing that they had the technology at that time. The indians were no doubt impressed.

4. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I think the American Rifleman had an extensive article on this 3 ?? years ago maybe more or less. It was really an entertaining and comprehensive article on something I had no knowledge of. Those of you who have a look up capability for AR can find it.

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Thats awesome even by todays standards I would like to have even a modern version that run off a paintball or scuba.

Jerry Lewis

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Yes I did. I read something about it years ago. They had a hand held pump that would pump air in a blader that was located in the stock. When showing it off one time they it went off when they didn't want it to and skimmed the head of a lady. She was alright but wasn't to happy. LOL. England made them illegal because the poachers were having using the hell out of them and the game keepers couldn't do much about them. They couldn't hear them then they shot.

I think the NRA has one or two of them on display.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Very cool, I love air rifles. Cant stop buying them

8. GEB

GEB TS Member

There are to my knowledge two people building this air rifle currently. One is in PA. The other is in MI. I have heard the PA air rifle costs about $25,000. I do not know the $$$ for the MI version. The one I saw was .40 (?) caliber and could fire a goodly number of shots before becoming empty. There is currently still great interest in L and C across the USA. I have a historian friend who really grooves on L and C. He knows much more about the air rifles and usually shares his info when asked. IMHO at the price of lead currently, I like 8s for reloading. Cheers, George

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Good story. Intriguing gun.

Lewis to Clark: "Cover me while I pump this thing back up."

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

joe---And that could take awhile. What did the man say? 1500 pumps? LOL

Matt

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Demonstration to Indians probably left that part out.

12. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You could put an eye out with that thing.

13. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

The rifle you guys are talking about has a bunch of debate surrounding it. Nobody, even Robert Beeman of Beeman Airguns fame and probably the worlds foremost authority on air guns of all types is sure if the one in the Smithsonian is the actual gun carried by L&C. He also owns one. They are pretty rare guns, and worth a fortune.

The gun was, best anyone can tell from the pictures, a "Girardoni" and was made by a Tyrolese Watch maker(Austria) They were .51 (13mm) cal and had a 20 round mag. They could penetrate a 1" thick board at 100 paces which is equivilent to 9mm Luger power.

A skilled rifleman could shoot 20 times in about 30 seconds.

The gun has a buttstock reservoir which was removable and interchangeable, for more shots.

These were used in Europe primarily as Sniper Weapons, and Napoleon would have you executed on the spot for having one in your possession.

There is alot on the internet on this subject, and when you see what is available today you will really be amazed. .50 air rifle today, running at 3800 psi will take a 2500lb Plains Buffalo. 2 shots per filling. Whammo!

Randy

14. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

The Lewis & Clark Gun currently resides in the Pentagon as part of the Army's new offices. The gun is on loan from the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center located in Carlisle, PA. The gun belong to Dr. Beeman and was donated/sold to AHEC a few years ago. The reason I know where it's at is because I was part of the team that installed the exhibits at the Pentagon in Dec 2008. It's valued at $2M the last I knew. I'm not sure when AHEC is getting it back. You can probably find info on it on the AHEC website:

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm

Tom Walck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.