1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lewis and Modified Lewis Explained??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Al 29, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I searched the web and saw a couple pdf's explaining the Lewis class system.

I am dense so I need someone to break it down for an 8th grader to understand. When people ask me what the hell a Lewis class is, I want to be able to break it down to ANYONE can understand it. Besides me!!

Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lets us a small shoot with 9 shooters playing the Lewis with a $10 entry. The scores are 98,97,96,95,94,93,92,91,90. The Lewis pays three classes, 60/40%.

First divide the scores into the three classes: 98,97,96 class 1 :95,94,93 class 2 : 92,91,90 class three. The top score in each class (98-95-92) would get 60% of the $30 in that group. The second top score in each class (97-94-91 would get 40% of the $30 in each class.

If the same 9 shooters entered a modified Lewis paying the same as the above but the top two scores would get 60/40- then the $90 entry would be divided into 4 ($22.50 each group). The score of 98 would get 60% of $22.50 and the score of 97 would get 40% of $22.50. The three Lewis classes would then be: 96,95 class 1; 94, 93 class 2; 92,91,90 class 3. The top score in each class would get 60% of $22.50 and the second high score in each class would get %40% of $22.50.

I do not favor a modified Lewis. First, a regular Lewis with three classes actually pays 1/3 just as a high gun purse. The top scores win. With a modified Lewis and three classes 1/2 of the purse is paid as a high gun purse.

Pat Ireland

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

First the disclaimer - the following is not original with me, but a variation appeared on this site years ago and gave me a good laugh.

A trapshooter was walking along a beach when he found an old brass lamp in the sand. It was slightly tarnished so he rubbed it with his t-shirt to see whether he could clean it up a bit. There was a giant puff of smoke, and a Genie appeared, saying "I have been imprisoned in this lamp for a thousand years, until your action released me. As a reward I will give you three wishes. Choose carefully!"

The shooter thought, then said "I've always wanted a Krieghoff combo". Another puff of smoke, and highly engraved Crown Grade in its deluxe hard case lay before him.

He thought again, and said "I've never been able to shoot as much as I'd like. Give me enough money so I'll never need to work again, but can go to every shoot I want and play all of the options!" Another puff of smoke occured, and the Genie handed him the ID to a numbered Swiss account with a $100 million balance.

He thought again, and finally said "I've only thought of myself here. My wife has always wanted to travel to Europe, but we both are afraid to fly and get terribly seasick. Build me a bridge across the Atlantic so we can drive!"

The Genie replied "That is a really outrageous request! Think of all the permissions and permits I'd need to get, and the cost, nevermind the disruption to shipping and Homeland Security considerations!". The shooter thought, then replied "You're right, you've been far more than generous. How about for my third wish you just explain the Lewis Purse to me in terms I can understand?"

The Genie replied "Would you like that bridge with four lanes or six?"

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The Lewis options are quite simple. You put in $10.00. At the end of the event they may either give you back something between $12.50 and $27.50 for no particularly rational, identifiable reason, or they will give you nothing.

The hardest part about the Lewis option to understand is why shoot managementt screws around with it for free.

PS. Lewis was a skeet shooter.

5. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

In basic terms....
    You put the money in...and if the shooting god smiles down upon you, you get part of it back!

Big Jack

6. lets C 1

lets C 1 TS Member

To: Pat Ireland
    A little more detail please; using your same example how much would each place pay? Is the money split equally among classes & what is left for the 3rd place winner? I'm really not interested in the modified lewis. Please remove this deer in the headlights look from my face!

7. Wentez

Wentez Member

Often the winning score/a score that will return money to you is one target more or one target less than you shot!!

Geo

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

In my example of the regular Lewis (3 classes/60-40) there would be $90 in the post. Each class would get $30. The high score of each class would get 60% of $30 = $18, the second high score would get 40% or the $30 = $12.

Pat Ireland

9. motrap

motrap Member

What Pat I. said about the Lewis is as I have encountered ..

But, I have never encountered (in roughly 38 years) the scenario Pat describes as the Modified Lewis .......

What I have encountered as a Modified Lewis is exactly like the regular Lewis except that the top score is drawn orbitrarily, then the rest of the scores are sequenced following that score .......... after the lowest score, the highest will continue until all scores are sequenced ............ then the groups will be identified as Pat showed [ using Pats scores; we would draw a score, let's say 93 ...... then our sequence would be: 93,92,91, 90,98,97, 96,95,94 .......... the winners would be 93-60%,92-40%, 90-60%,98-40%, 96-60%, 95-40%

I should add that the 60/40 split is used at larger shoots ........ most Lewis payouts only pay 1 money to the top score in each of 3 groups group .......

Rudy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lewis modified