1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leveling the Field for Handicaps @ World Champs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Setterman, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Carl, Aren't you going to have to change carousals on all the machines when you change bird sizes?

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Punch up the speed to 60 mph.

Curt

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Next you'll want the 27 yard shooters to stand on one leg. Come on, they're already spotting you yardage.

Ed Yanchok

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

how about just making chips not count....if they aren't smoke......lost!!

tony

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Carl, that's about the best, real sense proposal, I've heard in a long time! One that would truly level all the playing fields in handicap trapshooting!

Hap

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

If this is the Carl N. Chadwell from Michigan I just want to say Hi! You must be the senior, your son was just a teen in 1980.

My Dad and I shot with you and your son many times in Mich during the 70's. I don't remember any of us complaining about the targets being too easy back then. I have just returned to trap shooting after a 30yr hiatus, never fired a shot of any kind during all that time. I'm having a ball shooting again but now it seems my scores would be better if I was to be blindfolded and told when to pull the trigger. (LOL) Having retired while at the 27yd line I am forced to compete again from the 27 (ATA Rules) at least for 1000 targets. Hard enough for me without any thoughts of making it harder.

Say hello to your son for us unless you are the son, if so say hello to your Dad.

Marc (Skip) and Jim Bunk

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Carl, as it "stands", now, those guys at the top of their game could beat the average ATA handicap shooter standing on one leg!! Distance coupled with angles were at one time a great handicapper even back to the 27 yard line. Our fearless leadership convinced the little guys we'll make the game easier for you guys. With selling abilities like that they could sell freezers to Eskimos too! The heck of it is; a lot of shooters bought into that misleading idea.

I still like your progressive difficulty in handicapping, regardless of what the salesmen say!! Good call Carl and shoot well my friend!!

Hap

8. Setterman

Carl, I am not in favor of the "Big bird, little bird theory". I'm sure we could never get the turrents off our machines at our club. I doubt they have been cleaned for 25 years. How would I ever get to practice on those small birds?

How about this....anyone with 95+ average in handicap has to shoot facing South....in the wind....with a garden hose over them....while standing on a hornet's nest....with no shoes on......on Big Don's squad.

Sorry, that last one was a little over the top.

9. Setterman

I am, and have been in favor of that. We could call it the "Tiger Handicap".

10. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Geez,if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Bo

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I've always been found to be in favor of this plan:

"If you're not winning....practice some more. Take a clinic. Take a lesson. And develop some realistic expectations."

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Carl...

well, in Alaska three years ago we threw something like 78000 targets at our state shoot. year before last we threw 86,000+ and in 2009 we threw 98,000+

That's an increase of 25.6% in two years.

And we did it under the current rules. We have dramatically increased our shooter numbers at all shoots - signed up quite a few new members. And we did it under the current system, for what its worth.

We also did it by actively soliciting new shooters, with good trophies and fair prices - ask anyone who's shot up here....our trophies are first rate, all the time.

That's a far cry from "the handicap system is broken". Getting new shooters is a matter of dedication and hard work. Last weekend we had a non-registered fun shoot from the 22 yard line so that folks could get exposed to handicap trap.

The Alaska ATA ran it. We got nothing out of it but the chance to meet a bunch of folks who don't normally shoot with us, and encouraged them to come try it.

13. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I like the stand on 1 leg proposal. W/o naming names, couldn't you just see some of the 400 pounders out there doing that!!Trapshooting might become a spectator sport yet.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Sorry...had to run to a meeting.

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't some changes to the current system that I couldn't be talked into, but that generally I think most folks who want to succeed realize that success is not handed to them. I've had this debate with many other folks and I WILL NOT belabor the point anymore here. We all have our opinions..

But this thread changed...first it was about changing the system. Now its about saving trapshooting.

I think those are TWO DIFFERENT TOPICS. As I noted, we've done a lot to increase our numbers in Alaska - but we've WORKED at it. If everyone would just take one new gunner to the club per year, we'd have more members than could shoot at all the traps at any club in the country. Sitting back and moaning about the death of our sport wont' cut it....

bring shooters out. Say "hi" to someone new when you see them. SQUAD WITH THEM ONCE IN A WHILE - instead of just shooting with your buddies. At this last fun shoot I shot with two new trap shooters - one a very nice junior lady shooter, who expressed an interest in coming back some time. I gave her a schedule and my email and told to fire away with any questions. Maybe she comes back, maybe she doesn't - but I tried. Don't hang out with your buddies all the time...bring someone new into your clique and make them feel welcome. When I'm shooting practice at our club, I'm ALWAYS available to help a new shooter with handicap, or teach doubles, or shoot a round of singles with a new shooter, or let someone try out my gun if they want - and I give them the shells to shoot in it.

Point is....I think if you make the effort to bring out shooters, they'll come. Used to be at our club, after the shoot, the dust of the cars leaving the lot would choke a horse. I started bringing out a half rack of beer for after the shoot. Another guy saw that and he brought out a huge ham and cooked it in the club oven and we had christmas dinner at our december shoot. OTNOT brings out salmon and crackers.

And now we often have 15-20 guys sitting around, shooting the bull and having a beer after the shoots.

We do trophy presentations after each shoot. The out of state folks that come up for our state shoot say that's unique - almost no other club they shoot at does it. But at our club, we call your name and you come up and get your trophy and everybody claps and / or teases you about your score.

so, long story short...work at it. They'll come.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Carl you are not old enough to shoot on my squad, now Setterman he may be to old.

Throw them high, low, sideways, upside down, large, small, teeny, fast or slow, I don't care as I will shoot whatever.

Until we meet again on the hallowed grounds of Mason.

Don

16. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I don't shoot trap but I have shot registered skeet and Sporting Clays for 40 years and everyone wants to get the best shooters out of the picture.
    Skeet and SC wants a professional class or elite master class, trap shooters want them to shoot from the parking lot. What it all boils down to the almost top shooters want the top shooters out of their class.
    Suck it up guys and shoot where you have earned your yardage or stay home for the local shoots. These guys win because they are better and nothing other than cheating them is going to change that. IMHO

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

JLSO5

That is exactly what is happening. People are staying at home because they can not beat the Pros in this sport!

18. Setterman

BigDon, I'm with you buddy. I'll shoot with you anytime, anywhere, and with any squad members........except those "Beaver Research" guys, they are a bit scary.

Rosey

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

markdennis; Why don't you check the scores at the Dixie, the so called Big Dogs got their butts beat by several. Including a young kid from IN. So your broad statement is false. Unless you are on the 27 then only compete against your own yardage group unless you just want to complain about the system.

Don

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

We need to do something so the best shooters do not shoot the best scores. Average shooters should win and the best shooters should lose. The current system does not promote my self esteem.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.