1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Letting a stranger shoot my shotgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I took my Iver Johnson Supertrap to the trap range two weeks ago and its uniqueness caused a bit of a stir.

I let anyone with an extra shell take a shot.

Imagine that, telling a person you never met before: "Here, go ahead, shoot my gun."

Trapshooting a great sport.

CIMG3521.jpg

2. philk

philk Member

With factory shells or my reloads ok but I just wouldn`t let someone throw in any old reload they happen to have.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

My gun, new shells only and I will provide if needed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

My shells only.

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

You're very kind. I don't let others shoot my guns anymore unless I know how they will handle them. About 20-30 years ago I loaned a fellow my back-up SKB. Not fancy, but a very servicable gun that's never done me dirt. First thing he did was open it and then slam it closed so hard he couldn't open it again. He had the gall to meanmouth the gun afterward.

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

A stranger??

NFW

Charlie

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

No one shoots my gun but me.... Why invite trouble? There are enough guns available from other sources without having to try mine..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Ive loaned mine out many times.. mainly to kids.. most who have never or will never get a chance to shoot a Perazzi.. and hey if it gets dinged up.. who cares its just a gun, and its fixable.. i'm with you bushmaster..

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

A lot of fellow shooters have tried my CG Top single combo. I even let one shooter borrow the O/U to finish a round of doubles when his Beretta gave up the ghost 13 pair into a 50 pair shoot. He later bought a CG so I guess he liked mine. I have never had anyone damage any of my guns shooting them. I wish I could say the same for the "tire-kickers" when I have one set out for sale. One guy dropped the barrel on the stock of a DB-81 that I had up for sale. The result 2 nice deep dings where the monoblock contacted the stock.

--- Chip King ---

10. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I agree with the concept of "My shells only"

Good advice.

11. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I coach 4-H shotgun sports. I have two guns that I let the kids that don't have a gun yet shoot. It's great to watch young shooters as they improve. Only gotten 1 ding so far. A gentleman at Shoal River once asked my son if he wanted to try his Blazer. It took me three weeks to convince my son that we couldn't afford a gun like that! Watching him dust 2 pair was great and I'm very thankful to the gentleman that let William shoot his Blazer. I'm always appreciative of folks that let others try different guns so I try to return the favor if anyone is interested.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I have a Nickel BT99, specifically for use as my "guest" gun... I'd rather lend a nicer gun that I can trust, than to chance someone else's "poc"... also what you lend to a friend, family member or stranger says something about you...

regards all,

Jay

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'll lend almost anything except my chainsaws.. never had one returned yet with out damage.. if someone ask me to borrow one i just show up and do the cutting myself.. I have a uncle who told me once.. I'll loan anything I got but my car and my wife, my car is old and my wife is young and you might throw A ROD IN EITHER ONE..HAHAHA

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would let a stranger shoot my shotgun. No stranger could be stranger than I am.

Pat Ireland

15. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I will let those that know how to handle a shotgun on a range try my gun. Only it is pay me,my shells or new ones. I always advise the person borrowing the gun the proper way to open & close it.

16. steele

steele TS Member

A little off topic, but years ago, in the fall, a friend asked if he could borrow my Troybilt rototiller, to turn over his garden. No problem. I loaded it in my truck & took it over. Early next spring he brought it back, explaining there was a "little problem". His neighbor asked to borrow it, so my buddy gave it to him. The neighbor didn't have a clue as to how to operate it. Well, as he tried to back it up, he ran over his foot with the spinning tines. OUCH!! The next thing I know, I am being sued by the neighbor, for injuries sustained while using my machine. $4000 in attorney fees later, I was released from any responsibilty, do to me not giving the machine directly to the neighbor. He tried to get my buddy, but being it wasn't his machine, he too was released. The judge advised me, if I had loaned the machine directly to the guy, to avoid any potential litigation, I would have had to train him in the proper safety procedures. And just being the owner, I would not be considered as a legitimate trainer. Anyway be cautious lending anything that could hurt someone. Your good intentions could lead to a whole bunch of trouble.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.