1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Terminate ATA President and all Vice Pres.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Lets Terminate the ATA President and Vice Presidents, Treasurer, as well as the Central Handicap Committee,

Turn the Reins over to Frank Rively until Members w/ over 3 years of membership can reccomend candidates for offices and voted on by ballot similiar to voting procedures w/multiple candidates that must be life members to hold office.

Vote on location of the ATA Museum and Hall of Fame location on ground owned by the ATA.

Only responders using your REAL NAME may respond w/how long a member whether Life or Annual member w/years of membership.

Lets overhaul the ATA from the ground up.

This something that is long overdue.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

OK Boss leader of everything...........

GS

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Gary,

Though some big changes are due within the confines of the ATA I think the Association by laws state specifically that certain officers have to be seated to maintain the Corporation, this may only be due to Corporate law ... This could obviously be changed, altered, or modified by a vote of the BOD, Life Members, or membership over all for the good of the Association ... I think we all have to sit back and see how things play out and go from there now that most of the Membership is aware of whats been going on and to what extent ... Betrayal of Public Trust is an unforgivable offense in most people eyes and the penalty for the same can be extreme in many cases as it should be ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I just hope this guy never gets to make decisions for me.

5. Dr.Longshot

What does the3 first line under this post response?

Are you the same as the illeagals in Arizona and other states?

Do you want respect for your posts? Abide by it or do not post.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

While I believe the structure of the EC is long overdue for overhaul, I agree that one man cannot handle the daily responsibilities of running the ATA. Also, treasurer Tom Burkey and the recording secretary, whose name unfortunately escapes my failing memory right now, are first-class professionals who are not part of the automatic escalation process enjoyed by the vice-presidents and president. I see no reason to replace those two trustworthy gentlemen.

I do support the idea of the vice-presidents and president going through a nomination and voting process and lengthening their terms to two years.

Ed

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I am not a member of the ATA any longer but if I want to respond to this thread I will. This is an open site and you do not control it. It seems that the ATA may have major prob;ems and members like you seem to contribute to them. Bulge.

8. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Hey, Gary,

Let's mandate that every EC member, including the president, has to shoot a 140% high-shooting (right out of the box), 99.4% patterning, Lungshot-tuned Caesar Guerini. Let's further mandate that they all call Dr. Lungshot to get their voting instructions before they vote on anything more consequential than which recorded version of the National Anthem should be played each morning.

Gary, to be very polite (and also slightly politically correct), you're just a joke. Maybe also a joker, but definitely a joke.

I'm a life member, and I worry about declining participation, but everybody in the country can look around and see declining participation in EVERYTHING THAT COSTS MONEY! Trapshooting and traveling to trapshoots definitely costs money. Duh!!!

I absolutely do not care if the ATA gives a very high-grade trap gun to the president every year. In fact, I'm in favor of it. Those guys have generally put many years, way beyond their time on the EC, into looking after this sport.

Yes, the reporting structure on the cost of the gun, and on EC travel and ATA-related, reimbursed expenses needs to be available to anyone interested in those figures. Big deal - that's easily fixed, and certainly will be from here on out. If it DOESN'T become transparent from here forward, THEN we do have a problem with the EC that will need fixing, but I'm pretty sure that this issue will be properly addressed in the next few days.

There are some problems that the EC needs to address, but I'm betting they are already aware of what needs doing, and how to do it, and probably can get by without the sputtering gibberish from the less than insightful Dr. Lungshot.

Brad Dysinger is a different story. He DOES have insights that should be considered. A GREAT trapshooter, unlike wannabe Lungshot, but Brad maybe still has his own agenda, in my opinion, and that agenda is getting a little jumbled up, what with wanting to advance the sport (and everyone knows he is sincere about that), wanting to boost the OSTA, wanting to tout Cardinal Center, wanting to discredit the ATA and the governing structure, wanting to bash Illinois, and lastly, wanting to see Sparta fail.

That last is the bizarre one. Nobody who cares about the sport should want to see Cardinal Center fail. Nobody should want to see the new Las Vegas facility fail. And nobody should WANT to see Sparta fail. Big money, good-faith money, has been put into all of those facilities. Trapshooters are supposed to be - first and foremost - sportsmen. Sportsmen should not be hoping for the failure of the largest, finest facility ever constructed in this country for the sporting pursuit of trapshooting.

There is just something so sad, negative, and counter-productive about wanting to see a great facility fail.

There has already been one too many failures in our sport, and it took place in Ohio - the byGod center of the trapshooting world - when Brad and his fellow Ohioans DID NOT STEP UP TO THE PLATE when it was their turn to bat. Nobody in the trapshooting world rejoiced when that happened. Everyone would have been happy for the Grand to stay in Ohio. I certainly would have been happy. Nobody heaped hatred on Ohio for not finding a way to make that happen.

The ATA just moved on and took the best deal available. And well they should have. Sparta is a marvelous facility, and I love shooting there.

If Las Vegas would have been able to pull the trigger quicker on their planned facility, maybe we'd all be headed there for a cool August shoot. Well, it is at least a dry heat, you know.

If someone in Ohio could have gotten Mr. Fishburn's ear quicker, maybe he'd be hosting the Grand next week. But they didn't. Maybe that's Brad's failure, but nobody holds it against him, or against Ohio. Nobody wants to see Cardinal Center be anything less than a great success.

And then we've got clowns like you, Gary, veritable gushing fountains of negativity aimed at the ATA and Sparta. Fortunately, thanks to your other memorably silly rants, you're a known humorous commodity and we can at least get some entertainment out of your posts.

After all, that's what clowns are for. Naturally, I mean no disrespect. I'm always delighted to get your brilliant take on trapshooting, the ATA, the Executive Committee, its president, the way to "fix" the handicap system, Caesar Guerini's service department, shotgun patterning, shotgun set-up, and everything else you write about.

I've learned a lot from you. And I'm sure that your advice will be extremely valuable to the EC and the new president.

Not!

9. Dr.Longshot

The present system needs to be dismantled and rebuilt, The very first thing is to revert back to the rulebook of the 50s and 60s.

Voice calls were the best thing that ever happened to Trapshooting.

The Pat Traps were the next best thing.

The worst was the introduction of 2 hole easy targets.

Next worst was the acceptance of the 1250fps shells.

We need an election process by the members and Life Members for officers.
    The avreage age of members is now 51 years of age according to ATA records.

Gentlemen like Merle & Dale Stockdale don't come along often. Maybe a good candidate for President.

Something needs to be done. You cannot convince me and others that there has to be 4 meetings a year and a week long.

Modernization has come a long way, Webinars are the present and very in-expensive.

I suggest we start a list of people that would be good candidates for a board of directors and the person that gets the most votes would be President.

I agree with AVERAGE ED on secretary and treasurer keeping their positions.

The 501 (C3) committee needs replaced, they are not knowledgable of the law regarding the same.

The way the 501(c3) is being operated the IRS could put a stop to it, it is being abused.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Dr.Longshot

11. 870

870 Well-Known Member

LS:

In what way is the C3 status being abused, specifically? Or did you mean something else?

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary- Why don't you write a set of amendments to the current By-Laws or even a new set of By-Laws and have your delegate introduce them. That is a reasonably simple way to change the structure of the ATA. It will require you to carefully read the current By-Laws.

Pat Ireland

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

If the average ATA member is 51 years old that's a big problem. Apparently, trapshooting is to expensive or out of reach for many people. Without a new younger membership base comming into the ATA the ATA must make major changes. I have seen all the clubs here in Pa decline in the number of shooters. IT'S sometimes to the point that it's not worth having leaque shoots not alone ATA shoots. If this trend continues it will kill the small clubs as well as the ATA shoots.

14. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Yep. We should all vote. You're still an idiot. That's my vote.

Jeff Pokorny
    Life member

Did I respect the rules of your post? I was so worried that I'd mess it up.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Longsh?t again you are short on material. Since when do you dictate the rules around here. I would make a motion that your organization, what ever it might be, expell you from it for being a PITA.

Why don't you tell the good folks how much you paid for your life membership.

A hell of lot less then mine.

Don
    Still and a Life Member forever and ever.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I like 1250 fps shells, and I like 2 hole targets cause I can break them.

And, I'm 10 years older than the average, but, only registering targets for 8 years.

Jim

ATA Life, NRA Life, Michigan Trapshooting Association (MTA) Life.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I just hope all this gnashing of teeth and consternation actually leads to some well thought out and well constructed proposals for change to the ATA governance structure and not just a knee jerk reaction which will cause more harm than good.

Ron Burr

Alberta

ATA Life Member (1978)

18. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I feared that this was coming. Trapshooting has been a huge part of my life for the last 55 years and trapshooting has been very good to me. I began shooting trap in 1955 and I took to it real quick. By 1962 I had joined the ATA and I remained active with the ATA for 37 years shooting as many as 25,000 or so registered targets per year. As I settled in to old age and lost my wife to cancer I began to slow down. I attended my last registered shoot in 1999. I still go to the Grand every year only to spectate, that should be enough indication of how important trapshooting is to me. If the ATA falls apart from the decline of membership while continuing to canibalize itself from the inside out, I fear that nothing can be done to ultimately save it. It takes members to maintain any healthy organization, members are the key and without them there is no reason for the organization to exist. We have to encourage the younger generations to participate or the sport we love is doomed. If each of us was to take a little of our time to introduce a new shooter to ATA it would begin to make a difference. If you see someone that shoots practice regularly take a minute to mention to them that you think they may want to consider shooting some registered targets. If all goes well they may bring their family and friends to the sport. In conclusion I feel that there is no real quick fix to the problems within the ATA and that any fix will take time. If we can do our little part the bigwigs will have reason to do theirs.

J.F.

19. perga1

perga1 Active Member

J.F., I have also been a Life Member of the ATA for many years and have introduced many a shoooter to trap and registerred trap. For the last 8-10 yrars most of those who ended up joining the ATA quit after a year or two. When asked why they said thry did noy have the time or money to spend on getting perfect in orfder to be competitive. The most recebt of those was a father son pair who shot exceptionally well for beginners but you can now find them in the thick of things on the Sporting clays course or at the 5 stand. Just the thiught of having to shoot 100 straight to get to the real competition, the shootoff, was too much for them to consider. Jim

20. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

Perga1, I can certainly understand your point of view. Thank you for your service and dedication to the sport and for helping others in to the sport. It is acceptable that some will try out the ATA targets and decide it is not for them, what matters is that you at least brought it to them to try. If you had done nothing at all they may have never given ATA a try right? I expect that very few new comers will stick with it however there will be a handful that do. some people want to start at the top and some are willing to earn their way to the top the old fashioned way and it is that later group we should focus on the most. As for the competition part of it, more people defeat themselves mentally before they ever walk out on deck and then they feel like they tried and failed and it must be the system. I am guessing that you will see a change in the handicaping system soon that will help to address these issues head on as I to have noticed that a lot of shooters seem to give up when they shoot themselves up in a higher class than they belong in, then it does tend to make it more challenging for them to compete with the other shooters of that class. Hard work and dedication are the name of the game here. I personaly see a lack in mental strenth and will in some younger shooters as aposed to the shooters of my era. If that offends anyone please accept my appology as I certainly is not aimed at any particular individual, just an observation. On the other side of the coin is what does sporting clays offer these shooters that they are not finding in ATA? I am not familiar with SC or how participants are classed or handicapped, I suspect that it may be a very simple best score wins and if so would they not get discouraged when they shoot and are beat by a better shooter?

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.