1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk single barrel trap guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Perazzi TM9x and TM9, Ljutic, Silver Seitz, Alfermann, Kolar TS. I see more people using them.

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Browning BT-100? The venerable BT-99? Jack

3. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

What's your point?

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison once told me he likes a top single trap gun. The closer the barrel is to the eye the better. I guess he would know being one of the top shooters in the country.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I think Leo knows what works best for him. Harlan uses a bottom single high rib very well, don't you think? Point of the whole thing is find what works best for you not what everyone else likes or uses.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

MX15 is still the greatest bargain in a Single Barrel Trap Gun.

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Look at some of the rediculously low prices on used Ljutics. Got to be the best bargains EVER!!!

Marc

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like them all but I like the rib elevated as I had a top single standard rib Beretta that although it was a wonderful shooter for me...I had terrible trouble with heat shimmer/mirage' when the barrel got scorching hot on those summer dog days..If I wasn't shooting my BT99 Plus/or Citori Plus bottom barrel for singles then my pref would most likely be to go back to the K80 unsingle because it was more comfortable than the couple of Perazzis I had gone through..Ljutics are nice too but prefer top lever locking to the button on the trigger guard...I would like to try a Guerrini sometime though

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Model 12 or Model 31 or Bill Cole.

10. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I have a BT99 Grade III that I purchased used about 4 weeks ago I have shot it about 5 times, 100 targets each time from the 16 yard line lowest score was 96, highest was 99 according to ATA I am a "B" class shooter. Since Jan. I have shot in 6 ATA events with my XT Trap, I tied for first once and won the other 6 outright. The moral here is one does not need a Kolar, or Silver Seitz, or K-Gun, or whatever 10K plus gun to shoot top scores. I, do however admit I would like to own one of those but I will stick with my Brownings. Woody Sullivan

11. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Perazzi TM-1. Has anyone ever improved on that design? I think a lot have tried...

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

90T

Best bang for the buck.

HM

13. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

What halfmile said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 90T all the way. joe90t

14. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I agree with Leo, as long as the rib is not so low that I can see heat waves from a hot barrel.

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Bought my Ljutic in 1983 after a "test drive" where I ran 75 straight singles with it. Still my go to gun. I just made it "perty" after restocking it in 1992.

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

For style grace and symmetry I prefer a true single barrel gun for looks and balance. I have combos with singles that I shoot as well but just like the pure singles better.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

ReconDoc - What you are saying about not needing a high dollar trap gun is true as is the qualifier that you would like to own one.

I have been shooting 682x Berettas for the last 15 years or so but recently had the opportunity to upgrade to a Kolar. There wasn't a thing wrong with the way my 682 was shooting but I really do like the Kolar - it is just plain nice. Even if the Kolar doesn't get me an extra bird I will still like it just because it is a really nice gun that is a pleasure to shoot. I think that is how it is for a lot of guys that work their way up to a higher end gun - they just like nice stuff and are in effect celebrating their life.

18. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

I shoot a K-80 top single, but in perfect weather I sometimes shoot my Parker SBT. It is a great old gun.

19. atashooter

atashooter Member

I can't shoot a break open gun to save my behind. Many years and brands of trying, but I still do best with my old Model 12. To each his own I guess.

20. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

atashooter: Me too, have had the good fortune to have owned (& sold them off) several SBs just feel more comfortable with my M31TC. Also given that I'm not getting any younger and don't want my wife to have to dispose of things she doesn't know or care much about I've sold most of my hodge-podge collection also. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.