1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

let's talk pheasant hunting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Will it is that time in nebraska .I have seen good nub of birds . I have been out twice .The opening day 5 birds in one hour 3 guys . The second time 4 birds in an hour. The new loads are great 13/8 6 shot 35 grains bluedot.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Our numbers suck here. I need an invitation to travel!

3. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

setterman where you at

4. Setterman

Ohio. We once had large numbers in the 60's, but not anymore. There are some birds in Indiana and Michigan..if you can get permission or find them!

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I almost hit a pretty good sized covey here in Idaho yesterday on the way back from the gun club. Lots of Roosters in the group

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Setterman - in the 60's I lived in Indiana and I would drive to the Ohio line and shoot my limit after work. Indiana had no birds then and Ohio had plenty. I moved to South Dakota where I lived for three years and the bird hunting was beyond belief

7. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

Cuban my dad said this year is what it was like in south dakota when he was a kid. I have 4 more years in the crp and then it will be gone.Sad thing my only son my never see the birds like this he is only 3.

8. Setterman

I was in grade school in the 60's. I was the bird dog for my dad and uncles. We now have 3 drahthaars and a setter, but few wild birds. We usually make a trip out west and work the dogs at local clubs. The draht's are pointers and great all weather retreivers in the duck marsh. We've got on birds on NE Indiana, and SW Michigan, but you have to hunt hard for both permission and the birds. The last time we were out west, we found alot of places were putting out pen raised birds. It was not our objective.

9. KenC

KenC Member

When I was growing up in western Colo, you could hunt on ANY farm and bag your limit in an afternoon. It was great.

Sometime between the middle 1960s (when I left) and the 1990s, (when I moved back here) the implementation of new farming methods such as concrete irrigation ditches have caused pheasants to become extinct. The concrete ditches did away w/the natural cover of the pheasants and the pheasants natural predators literally ate them all w/in a few years. Too bad.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Very few pheasants here in NV but the quail numbers are good this year and I have gotten into big coveys three weekends in a row. The chukar numbers are way off this year though :(

I envy you Dakota guys, this will be the first year in the last fifteen or so that I won't be able to get up there, hope you leave plenty for seed.

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

According to the most recent Pheasants Forever magazine, SD was first with about 1.3 million birds harvested.

There are a ton of birds here.

Whiz

12. Setterman

I've talked to 4 different "outfitters" in SD, and have found that most push 3-4 groups a day through, which leads me to believe their inplanting birds. Were looking for a place we can stretch the legs on some pointers. The other problem is pointers and flushers together don't normally work well. Most the outfitters use labs.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

"Implanting birds"

Not sure how you would "implant" birds other than pen-raised birds being let out little by little.

We've never needed to hunt raised birds. About the only implanting we see are birds flushed from adjacent properties flying into our areas.

I did hunt pen-raised once in the 70's. I could have used a stick or BB gun. That was no hunt, it was a "turkey" shoot.

Whiz

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster will probably respond, but I know that he has gotten us 4 over the weekend in Kansas. He sent me pics, and they are really nice, young birds, but he says the numbers are down.

15. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I hunted the Kansas opener this weekend. Hunting conditions were tough. It was very hot on the dogs and me with the high of 80 degrees. Too hot if you are out covering some ground. Most of the birds we saw were very skittish flushing way ahead of us, especially the roosters. There was still a lot of standing grain due to recent rains holding birds. Some of the hunters I talked with that did drives had good hunts but I prefer to hunt with a couple of hunters and dogs. My time will come later when the weather gets cold. I did see more quail than the last two seasons in the area hunted but I couldn't shoot them yet. It opens next weekend.

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Going to Western Kansas the 14th.

Hopefully all the crops will be out of the fields by then.

Plan to do at least one hunt in Nebraska around Thanksgiving (near Tekamah) and one in South Dakota (between Parkston and Corsica.)

Can't wait!

17. Littleboots

Littleboots Member

Done been, went to South Dakota first week cold wet and rainy but 11 limited out each day lot of crops still in field

18. Almcvey

Almcvey Member

Just got back from Abredene SD. 75% of the corn in the field. Hunted standing corn, and some grassland all wild birds. 10 hunters got their limit 2 days 60 birds. We saw lots of birds. 60 degrees and wet..

19. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Whiz, there was an outfitter from SD on a thread a month or 2 ago stating that he was required by the state to replenish the stock with released birds. I think that since he was an "outfitter", it was required? It only makes sense if 100 hundred hunters went thru your property in a month, that birds would have to added, or you'd never have repeat customers.

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

highflyer gives a fair discription of opening weekend here in KS. I believe that the hot conditions and all the feed that was uncut led to tough circumstances with finding birds. I hunted with one group Saturday in the northern portion of the state and we seen only a dozen or so and most were skiitish. They grew tired by 1:30 or so and right at the end of the last drive my pup got skunked. At least we bagged something.LOL Hunted Sunday for a couple hours in a nearby area with another group and nothing spectacular to report there. They grew tired of the chase by late morning so I broke out and headed back to my home turf. Managed to bag a limit in the afternoon but still did not see alot. I think once the feed gets cut and some colder weather to drive them out of the thin stuff and into more dense cover that the birds are here. Not like SD but huntable numbers. I have reports that there are really good numbers in west central KS and the other reports sound spotty pretty much as I encountered. A month I'll know more.

It seems that overall the areas where turkeys have flourished (which is majority of the state) that the pheasant and quail populations have dwindled. I remember the late 70's and early 80's when every clump of grass held a bird it seemed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.