1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk Bio targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tron, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Why would a club go to bio's? Are they cheaper? Only thing available? Is the club being environmentally responsible? I'm just wondering. I recently shot at a club and I've never seen so many targets get dusted, but not break. I mean, these were some DAMN good shooters and they ended up with mediocre scores. Should a club divulge this information?

I'm NOT picking on any particular club. I'm just curious what others think.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Same question, and I was there....

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Joe, in Fl--there is a significant difference in cost between pitch & bios. I was very suspicious about bios, but after shooting at them for the past 9 months--I don't see any difference as long as the brand is White Flyer. Our club has trap, crazy quail, five stand & skeet---if they didn't work---there would be a lot of bitching & the owner would get rid of them.

If a trap machine is not well maintained there may not be enough spin on the targets, its the spin combined with the shot breaks the targets,

Phil Berkowitz

4. gcessna

gcessna Member

I shot them at range the end of last summer. I like the way they broke. I think they would have to be stored in a dry atmosphere. They quit throwing them because they will kill vegetation, but so does a layer of broken pitch targets.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

7½'s will do the trick!

6. TjayE

TjayE Member

Unknown1, "PM" me. I would like to talk to you. Tom

Or email me, you have my email address. I am the person that got the P/W primer bracket from you this Spring when you returned NORTH. Tom

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In our case at Naperville, a change had to be made to stay in compliance with the issued NPDES permit. Situated in the Midwest, Bios were initially more, but are now, less expensive than pitch targets and with the price volatility in oil, that forced change has served us well.

Bios have also saved us money over the past dozen years... With more than enough moisture and UV exposure, our targets do degrade well, which eliminates removal expenses. Our machines are kept dry and clean - so maintenance issues are minimal.

I'll say that a by-product of the product formulation is that we do not have much incidental breakage (again, saves a few dollars/pallet), but with that said, scores are not suffering on-range, just not the "smoke" that the pitch targets generate.

I think the comment above about breaking birds with the fringe portion of the pattern is something to consider - I will say our guys who shoot well, shoot even better when visiting pitch target venues...

Respectfully responding,

Jay

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Better color, break great but maybe a bit more erratic in wind. Sure beats having mountains of broken pitch targets in front of every trap. Those shooters who say they can't break 'em probably don't break many pitch targets either!!

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ok then, that answers my 7 1/2 or 8's question.

10. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Tron,

For a while there weren't any targets available EXCEPT for the "Bios" Clubs had to buy them or risk running out of targets completely. With that said maybe the club you were at was trying to get rid of them on a day when they knew they would throw a lot of targets. Then again maybe they were just trying to sabotage your scores 'cause they knew you were coming. LOL

Chuck

11. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

For the record, this is not the first time I've ever shot bios. From my experience, they are harder to break and yes, 7 1/2's will usually do the trick. But, someone is a bit screwed if they show up with light 1oz #8's, no doubt about it. I would have the choice of either not attending the shoot, or bringing stiffer loads if I know what type of targets are going to be thrown.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ok guys, I run a club here in Idaho. A little over a year ago we could not get pitch so we bought 4 pallets of Bio targets. I can assure you that they will not break in cold weather. Several members walked out several times to see what was lying on the ground. Lots of targets with holes in them but not broken. good shooters with low scores will cost you business fast. We had all orange and the older shooters complained they could not see them also. I have two pallets left and cannot use them. Cheaper is not better. And I should mention that the Bio targets will clog up your machine so you better clean it often. If you like seeing a little dust but no break, go for it

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

CC2000...

Now that is just not true...

Your weather in Idaho is about on-par with what we get here in Chicago and our targets break. We throw steel shot which the whole American Trap nation appears to acknowledge is the pits of shot formulation - if anyone should have the inability to break a Bio... it should be us (LOL)...

There is a slightly different dynamic with Bios... but I think that proficiency comes from practicing with them... if you're on them - they break... even in sub-zero conditions... I guarantee it.

Jay

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I looked at the Bio's and was told they are very hard on the machines. Meaning they will create alot of rust on the machine. They also need to be kept in a dry place.

15. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I'm sure I shoot at bios, but I don't really notice. Some sporting clays courses have been using nothing else for years.

I'm not a top shooter; I break a bunch, chip some & miss too many. But I can honestly say I don't "dust" one target in 5,000 using #7.5 exclusively. And I never miss an opportunity to ask an acquaintance, when they've dusted a target..."shooting 8's?"....:)

16. C-Money

C-Money Member

Walla Walla throws Bio targets. I do not know one shooter that would choose, if given a choice, to shoot Bios over pitch at the Camas Prarie or any other shoot. It is what it is, and shooting bios is better than not shooting at all.

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

I hate the things. We tried them a few years ago and they killed the grass and corroded the machines. They have Sulfur in them and when mixed with water turns to acid.

We went back to pitch and the club cleaned up nicely. No more white beaches. About 18 months ago pitch targets went through the roof on cost an we went back to them. The 1$ a box difference overwhelmed my objections.

Things have gone the other way and we can now get pitch targets especially bunker targets cheaper. I will be gland when they are gone.

T

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

There is more to being a good shooter than being on the target. If you don't have enough discernment to use loads that are correct for the circumstances in which you are shooting that is a shooter problem, not a target problem.

19. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

If HOF shooters and All American shooters turn in crappy scores, and if people watching those shooters get a cloud of dust -- not a puff. A CLOUD of smoke -- from their 'lost' targets it is NOT simply a matter of not hitting the taergets. PERIOD. These shooters are sponsored shooters so it is not 'shell discernment' either. They could shoot any legal load made. We shot BIO's the last 4 days and some seriously good shooters turned in winning scores but I'm just saying. BIO's suck. No matter.

Ray Stafford is a machine. Distractions, wind gusty, crowd in back. The man won his shootoff with style.

I want to Congratulate the Delta Trap Club for putting on another superb shoot. Good people, good attendance, weather was OK for the desert in June too. The trophies were very nice. Even mine. HeH.

Don T. Littleton CO

20. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

We throw White Flyer bios, all orange, against a green background. I honestly prefer them to the orange w black rim pitch targets at other local clubs. The all orange targets look bigger to me. Haven't noticed a difference in scores.

Tron - were they White Flyers? Maybe some bios are easier to break than others depending on mfr.