1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk about wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

What is everyones favorite wads? Is there a better wad for long yardage vs. singles? How important is a wad when it comes to patterns? Are the figure 8's as good as they brag about?

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I prefer Duster wads although I don't have any pattern info to say they're better than others.

I just really like how slick they are and how they load.

I really do not like Claybuster wads.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I like all the factory wads. When I tested WW Grey and 12SO they were the same with 7/8 ounce loads, absolutely identical. . As long as they both - Federal and WW - work, that's what I'll use.

Neil

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Green Dusters if you like 1 OZ.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the TGT12 clone from DownRange for 1 Oz loads, their XL1 blue wad for 1 1/8 Oz loads and the XXL pink wad for 7/8 Oz loads. What I look for in a wad is that it occupies the correct amount of space in the hull for the given components and that it goes through the loading process easily. I haven't spent the time pattern testing a bunch of different wads to determine the exact effect on patterns and I don't know if that is even possible given the huge number of different wads on the market.

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Didn't PBB do some wad testing on a lot of loads a year or so ago? I'd like to know what he has to say about pattern vs speed on those loads.

Bob

7. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I like TGT12 for 1oz loads. Just ran out gonna check on getting some from downrange.

John MI

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Depends on who you ask.

Neil Winston has done some testing to compare, all else equal, one wad against another for a certain load, and that proved there was no discernable difference.

I guess I tend to fall into the category of someone who believes there can't be a whole lot of difference one wad to the next, since the wad becomes a non-factor by the time the ejecta has gotten about 6 inches away from your gun muzzle.

If you're asking about how much plastic is left on your chokes, or how the wad loads in your reloader, that's a different story.

What wolfram said above makes a lot of sense.

Bottom line, pick one that works for the hull/powder/shot combination you want, and go with it.

I really like the Downrange products, though.

9. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Kevin56 A few yrs ago I loaded and shot every wad I could beg,borrow,or steal.At 35 yds I could not see any differance to amount to even old 2 piece wads so I use what ever loads well and mostly cheaper brands but I hate the noise some make when loading so forget those JMO

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Limpy. That "noise" that aggravates you is the edge of the wad catching on the inside crimp corner as it begins its insertion thru the wad guide. And I have found that Downrange wads are just a bit smaller on the shot cup and meke less noise and have about 1/2 the forced entry as CB and somewhat less than a REM OEM. I hav enot patterened the wads (any of them) as I believe in the bbl dimensions and dynamics to put out a good pattern.

DR wads are easier on the insertion station in both the MEC and the PW. I'm only guessing that Spolar has no problem with anything based on the plaudits it gets here from the guys that pop for the big buck Dixie-chick model.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

ABC........anything but claybuster

12. wlc

wlc Member

There seems to be a lot of Clabuster bashing. I use both CB and Downrange, they both work fine. I see no difference in the way they load on my MEC or the amount of plastic left in my barrel.

13. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I have settled on the Duster wads, green for 1oz and blue for 1 1/8. I know it's probably in my head but I seem to get better scores with them.

John

14. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

In my experience at the pattern board and chronograph, I see that some wads produce slightly better uniformity than others, some wads produce 2 - 3 percent tighter patterns, some wads are softer shooting than others and some wads are more efficient than others. The differences are subtle and not of an order of magnitude.

If you're only going out for a bit of practice, it doesn't matter what wad is used; it might as well be the cheapest.

If you're shooting for the money (or glory)and want optimum patterns with the softest recoil, I've been happiest with the B&P and the Downrange XXL (orange)wads for the tightest patterns, the Ballistic Products SRC for soft shooting and superb uniformity. For tapered cases, I like the Clay Buster 1 oz 1200-12 and the Clay Buster CB0178-12, the latter being a very soft shooting wad. Both produce very good patterns.

I haven't loaded anything heavier than 1 oz (28 gram) for decades and cannot comment on what works best at 1 1/8 (32 gram). Although I do remember PB powder in Remington components being very soft shooting with excellent patterns.

- - Bill

15. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

Guess I missed the memo about Claybuster. I have used them for several years. I shoot 1 ounce with the cheap Fed hulls and the 12SO clones. No problems here. As for plastic in the barrel, I just clean it out every so often.

Mike

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

No problems with Claybusters, except for the WT-12 clone (CB0118-12). That's a cheaper copy of a cheap copy. They aren't that great in colder weather in some loads. I use mostly the TGT-12 and Figure 8 originals or clones. Also the Red Versalite is a favorite for my handicap loads. I also use the Federal 12S0 and 12S3 in the straight tube hulls. The clones are also pretty good, although a few people have claimed they had issues with a certain lot of Claybuster CB2118-12's. I won't use another Duster wad, since I am stuck with several cases of wads made from "bad" plastic. They fracture when fired in temperatures at around 50 degrees and below. I have NO confidence in the wads and no confidence in the company. I will also use a good amount of the original Winchester WAA12, WAA12SL, and WAA12L and their clones. I use them mostly in the Win AA hulls.

As for patterns, the ones I have tested were not that far apart in performance, with a few exceptions. Most of the Downrange wads I have tried were pretty good. I didn't like the XXL series, since they were a little problematic to load. A little more tinkering would probably have solved the issues, but other wads worked well enough without extra work to set up. The best advice is to obtain a small amount and load some up and do a little pattern testing to verify you are getting the results you expect.

I usually stay away from any of the eight petal wads. The petals sometimes get stuck in the shot drop tubes on my Mecs and it's one more thing to double check and correct before pulling the handle. The ones I have tested had no advantage in performance to warrant the extra trouble.

I have tried a software program for "Pellet Counting". It works online with a digital picture of your pattern. I will be doing a LOT more pattern work this Spring, as long as the software is still available. I used it quite a bit last year and it made short work of it. Now I just need to understand what all of the results mean. :) (TMI) I'll be purchasing the stand-alone version of it before then. They also have a Rifle and Pistol program I need to investigate.

Shotgun Insight

17. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Why even fool around with anything else but a factory wad.Were shooting not running a fuel mileage economy test.My opinion,I know I plan to use factory wads only!!!!!!!!!O.E.M.

Sandy.

18. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Quack Shot, Can you tell any difference between the old pac/horn versalite and the new one? I use the RXP12 instead of the versalite as they will hold a bit more shot. (games, 1 1/8 load) Both the fig8 and RXP have a thinner petal and deep cup- than the versalite. The TinMan

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

TinMan88

The older Red Versalites were very close to the new ones manufactured by Downrange, except for the price. :) I really haven't noticed much of a change, if any. I might still have some of the old Pacific or Hornady wads around somewhere, so I might compare them if I ever find them. The plastic seems slicker and they still pattern great at handicap yardages. I've used a ton of the older RXP wads and still use the Figure 8 for a lot of my shooting. I have a couple of "Pet" handicap loads with the Versalite wads that seem to do quite well. If the target doesn't break, it's my fault and not the wad. I haven't noticed any lack of room in the Versalites with a full 1 1/8 oz of shot.

20. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Went through a period, many years back, when I tried every wad I could get my hands on. No pattern board work, simply shooting them and getting a feel for how many times I felt that I had done everything right but the bird had still not broken. The only wad that never left me feeling like that was the B&P T2 (Ballistic Product's 078 Lightning). I won't load anything else in 12 gauge now.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.