1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk 28 gauge reloading...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pribbs, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pribbs

Pribbs TS Member

I am using the CB 1034-28 Wads with 13 grains of 20/28 powder in old compression formed AA ww 209 and 3/4 oz #9s good load. The information I have is the CB1034-28 is a exact copy of the original AA wad. Charlie

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Unigue has always been a tight fit for me in an AA28cf hull. When I used Unique, the blue PC gave me the best fit.

I never tried Red Dusters with Unique, but use them with Universal in the AA28cf. As you noted, Dusters does say the new Red Duster will work in the AA28cf hulls. Alliant emailed me there is no pressure problems using the new red Duster in that hull with Unique. They said there may be "fit" problems. I've tried a few with Universal and had no "fit" problem. Dunno about Unique.

I heard stories of cold weather problems with the Blue PC, but I never had that problem. But I don't shoot much 28 gauge in the cold.

3. hwcn

hwcn Member

I shoot a pile of 28 gauge and my load of choice in the old style AA is 13 grains of Unique with the PC28 wad. Best fit thus far.

If you shoot the new AAHS hull, use the Claybuster HS clone, the PC28 leaves to much room and the crimps are inconsistent. 13 grains of Unique seems to work fine.

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If the duster is sized right to fit into an HS hull. it shouldn't fit into a old style 28ga wad. why not just buy old style claybuster wads? I have so many, that I haven't bought any in 3 or 4 years . did they stop making them or something? If you do a search on HS 28 ga hulls. well forget it.. I will just add the picture to this thread and maybe you will understand where I am coming from.

[​IMG]

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

So Ed, If the Blue duster is the same size as the HS wad it is way oversize for a regular hull. I would not use it unless i had no choice. Jeff

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Downrange PC Blue wad and SR-7625 powder. Very soft shooting combination. The Blue PC wad is short enough to load with Universal Clays too.

Jim Skeel

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have tried to load Hs wads in the old style 28ga hulls and it is truly like cramming 15 pounds of flour into a 5 pound sack. If you don't like the squeeze of 13.1 and a claybuster you really are not going to like the squeeze of a duster or any other wad in an old style AA case that has a base ( read that powder cup) diameter that is like the hs wad. just look at the old Federal wad at .525 they were a squeeze.

I have loaded several hundred thousand 28ga shells using the exact load you are talking about. 13.o grains of Unique , 3/4 oz of 9's and a winchester primer. I have used claybusters as well as Waa28 ga wads. The fit was never an issue at all. Not tight in the least.
    Not to sound like a broken record but if tight makes you uncomfortable you are about to get really uncomfortable if the wads you are using are sized for the HS hull as they are a full 25 thousandths wider. Jeff

8. seitz647

seitz647 Member

try the remington wad - you'll find it to be shorter may solve your problem

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Unique has always been a tight fit for me in an AA28cf hull. More so on the first loading, less so after they were loaded a few times. When I used Unique, the blue PC gave me the best fit.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I use the Remington wad because it resists tipping much better than the flimsier Winchester wad. I have always used Unique in old AA empties with the Remington wad without problems. I assume they are a bit smaller in volume than the wads you are using.

11. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Unique works best with a 11/16 payload with that combination.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Really hatshooter? I guess the 200,000 plus of them I have loaded with a full 3/4 of an ounce must not have been informed.

Really... This thread amazes me. Why on earth anybody wouldn't just use the wad designed for the load is beyond me. I guess some people just have to do things the hard way.

This is simple guys. Would you load a 55 caliber muzzle loader ball into a .50 caliber muzzel loader? No.. I don't think you would. BigEd I mean you no disrespect with this statment but if you are uncomfortable with the tite fit of a load that has worked togather for over 30 years, why would you go purchase wads that are bigger .. so that the fit you seem to be uncomfortable with will become worse?

If wad pressure is all that is required and you seem more then ready to buy wads that will not fit your cases and use more wad pressure, Why not just buy wads that fit your cases and use more wad pressure? You do seem prepared to buy wads that will not fit your cases and use more wad pressure?

I guess that since I work with mentally ill people every day of my life for a living, I expect more from people with the basic capacity for reason and logic. That capacity does not seem to be in evidence inn this thread.

I guess a picture isn't worth a thousand words if people lack the basic capacity to understand the photo.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Loading the 28 is easy if you follow a few basic rules. If you want to use a Remington hull then use the Remington wad. If you want to use the Winchester hull, then use the AA wad. Win 540 or HS-6 is the powder to use. HMB

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The HS hull has less capacity than the original AA 28 gauge hull. Winchester screwed up on their origanl HS wads and made them too long. The new HS wads are Ok or....buy Claybuster HS clones which always have been shorter.

If you're loading the original hulls, the original wads and HS wads will work fine. Loaded thousands of them.

I use Universal clays and 20/28 and both powders fit fine in both the old and new hulls with the claybuster HS clone wads.

28's have always been fickle. Adjust your wad pressure, pre-crimp and final crimp, and buy enough componants to load the SAME LOAD FOREVER!

If you start changing componants.....well, good luck.

15. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

I appreciate all this knowledge as being a new 28ga shooter it is all good.
    I was lucky to run into a MEC 9000G 28ga w/adj charge bar for sale at my local club. The price included Rem STS green hulls, Rem PT 28 wads, Rem primers and 28ga empty boxes.
    My understanding the adj charge bar is setup for 13gr Unique which I purchased 1lb of. When I get the time to pull the handle I will report back on the results.

16. jawinchester

jawinchester Member

I shoot 28G at skeet nearly every week have used the claybuster or the PC for several years in the old AA hulls (I treasure my supply) with 13gr of either Universal or 20/28. Neither myself or my scores can tell the difference between the wads or the powders. With the PC wads my loads might tend to crimp a tad deeper than with the CB but not enough to be a bother or change the loader.

--jawinchester

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Fanugee - You need to check that bar with a scale to be sure what it is throwing.

18. Fanugee

Fanugee Member

Roger that Mrskeet410

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Back to the OP. I've loaded thousand of AA28 wads and their CB clones in the AA28cf hulls with Unique. It was a tight fit. Blue PCs fit better. If I was still loading Unique, I would make the extra effort to obtain some of those blue PCs.

And sometime in the future if I can't get a dedicated 28cf wad for those hulls, I'll cram some sort of other wad in them. And cramming a plastic wad in plastic hull is far different than using a 55 caliber lead ball in 50 caliber steel MZ barrel.

20. Bart S.

Bart S. Member

BigEd, I also load old C.F. Winchesters and Unique. Claybuster still made the pink or old style 28 ga wads, stopped the 410's though.........Bart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pc28 wad
claybuster 1034-28 reloading data
pc 28 guage wads
pc28 duster wads reloads with unique
pc28 wad
pc28 wads
red duster wads

reloader 28 ga shells fit tight