1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

lets see; Fed papers,

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Em, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

check

Federal 12C1 wads,

check

Recommended loads on the bag,

check

F209 PRIMERS....

ummmmmm No.

The old F209s are not the same as the 209A

Now what?

Any recommendations on putting them together?

regards bruce

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

load em and shoot em!

3. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

If your talking Target loads go ahead and shoot them. If you are talking High Pressure hunting loads I'd be hesitant. My opinion. Post-2

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bruce

Some Target loads ARE high pressure. It's best to look up the data. Hodgdon's has a lot of data for the 12C1 and current primers on their site. Alliant doesn't seem to list the 12C1 anymore, but they did have them listed in the older manuals that were recent enough to include the newer primers, like the 2005 edition. If you give us an idea of what OTHER components you want to use and how fast you want to go, maybe we could look them up and give you a better idea. OR PM me with your email address and I'll gladly email you the pdf of the Alliant 2005 guide.

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Or ... put anywhere between 20 & 24gn of PB between your Fed209A primer and your 12C1 wad and then charge people a dollar a minute to smell your shells?

The fragrance companies are missing out on a lot of money by not making stink-water that smells like "Federal Paper" and "Hoppe's #9." sigh ...

Bob

6. baflstang

baflstang Member

18.5 grains of Red-Dot or Promo, CB wad (equivalent to 12C1) Nobel primer and lost bird because there are "no visible pieces". Not to mention, less recoil than plastic! BTW It does not seem to matter what brand of powder is used is these hulls the aroma is the same. My 2 cents worth. Bill

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to load 18.5 grains of 700X, 12c1 wad or Claybuster equivalent, Federal 209A primer and 1 1/8 of hard 7 1/2 shot. Hits really hard even from 35 yards. Not bad on recoil either. 300 or so recently fired made the van smell good!

Ed Ward

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I miss the paper Feds. Used to shoot them a lot and reload them too. Kicked the heck of me, but they always do a job of the target. I don't think they are very popular in my region and don't see them in stores much at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.