1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets Just Fire those Sheriffs

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by GunDr, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Supporters of the 380 sheriffs in 15 states who so far have vowed to defy new state and federal gun control laws claim that legislation is starting to pop up around the nation to fire any state elected or appointed law enforcement official who doesn't obey federal orders.

The first effort emerged in Texas. Legislation proposed by Dallas Democratic Rep. Yvonne Davis would remove any sheriff or law enforcement officer who refuses to enforce state or federal laws.

What's more, it would remove any elected or appointed law enforcement officer for simply stating or signing any document stating that they will not obey federal orders.

Here's a link to Rep Davis's bill...

http://legiscan.com/TX/text/HB2167

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

By the way, here's the current list of sheriffs and state assns....

http://cspoa.org/sheriffs-gun-rights/

Remember, sheriff's are elected, and they are our last line of defense against those that want us as slaves.

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It will not happen right now in Texas, but if we keep getting illegals and other libs it could in the future, but it might not stand the test of the constitution

4. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Obama sued Arizona to keep them from enforcing immigration laws. Apparently it doesn't work both ways.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Probably a flawed career decision on the part of Rep. Yvonne Davis. Can't imagine that sort of thing working out for her in the great state of Texas.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This is where the word "Constitutional" comes in. If the laws are deemed "Constitutional" they have sworn to enforce them. If they are deemed un-Constitutional, they don't have to, correct?

This is why when you read the statements from the Sheriffs, they usually are worded in the fashion as to refer to the Constitutional aspect. Possibly to show defiance, as to obtain voters. What is thought to be un-Constitutional, from a political standpoint, and what is, can make a big difference. Just saying. There is other meaning behind most of this.

7. 548

548 Guest

I expect my sheriff to enforce laws. I expect my Legislators to make good laws. I expect my courts to validate the laws. Under no circumstance is it appropriate for one to do the others job.

8. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Tell me, how can you fire some one from an elected position such as Sheriff ?

Take them before an ethics board perhaps, fire them...how ?

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Even though they are elected, they are sworn to uphold the law. I don't think it would stop at being fired. This is why I say they have to watch their wording of their statements, let alone defy their sworn position to uphold the law.

10. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

548. I see a lot of Legislators trying to pass unconstitutional laws. I see a lot of Laws that are not enforced by the judicial system. I see a lot of officers on youtube that disregaurd the laws that they are suppose to enforce. I know for a fact that not all police officers are thugs, but some think they are the law and beyond.

I respect all of the police officers that do their true duty. I have to question how some are being trained at times.

I feel we have been programmed so much when we question athority we are being labeled as radical.

Take a look at the laws in place they cover well more then what we need. The law makers are wanting to pass laws that will surely make good citizens into phelons. If we cant see that we are stupid.

I am proud of the officers of public service to the people to server the public and not what a bunch of slick talking law makers are trying to destroy what they made an OATH to.

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Another clueless liberal/Democrat!!!

I guess its another one who has never studied the Constitution either!!!

BUT HEY, if "IT" thinks they should be fired, then "IT" can be fired ALSO, maybe "IT" is on to something!!!!

12. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

When we all are in jail .... just who is going to pay for it?

Let's recall any diplomat who does not uphold and defend the Constitution AS WRITTEN!

13. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

ImpalaBob have you ever heard of genocide? This is generally what happens when all the people they want to have locked away that are defient happens.

14. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Obama is sworn to support and defend the Constitution also but the landscape is strewn with examples where he has not.

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Stl Flyn,,,,,,,IF they are elected,,,,,,,,WHO will "fire" them????

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    548, quote: <i>"I expect my sheriff to enforce laws. I expect my Legislators to make good laws. I expect my courts to validate the laws. Under no circumstance is it appropriate for one to do the others job."</i>

Well you just inadvertently hit the nail on the head and torpedoed your own argument.

It is not appropriate for a county sheriff to enforce federal laws, nor is it appropriate for the feds to enforce state or county laws.

It's called separation of powers.

Oregon foolishly granted the feds the ability to enforce state and local laws a couple of decades ago. Many of us opposed this, but it passed anyway. Yes, it took a law to allow the feds the ability to enforce local law.

Conversely, the Obama administration itself has proven via a court of law that state and local officials cannot enforce federal law.

The sheriffs are well within their rights to not enforce federal law, and are not disobeying any law in doing so.

17. rebeldog1

rebeldog1 TS Member

Where I live the Board of County Commissioners wanted to create a county police force that would be under their direct control and reduce or abolish the sheriffs departments role in law enforcement.The information that came out was that the sheriff being an elected office came under the control of the governor,ie the state government,meaning they cannot be fired but could be removed by recall,a lengthy and difficult process.No elected official can just be "fired",much like a president,congressman , senator or state level politician.

18. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

When talking about federal gun laws, no one is expecting a local or state law enforcement to enforce such a law. The Sheriff's talking about this are just talking for political points. The Sheriff's talking about state gun laws probably mean that they will utilize Officer discretion when it comes to state laws that they are sworn to enforce. They (local law enforcement) will not actively pursue these kinds of investigations.

Meaning, everyone knows that law enforcement routinely uses Officer discretion, how many times have cops told someone to walk home because they are publicly intoxicated or broken up a fight when everyone could have gone to jail for disorderly conduct, etc.. Fill in the example of enforcing an 'arrestable' law. I am not talking about traffic infractions.

These Sheriff's mean to say that their deputies will utilize discretion when it comes to enforcement of state gun law and magazine laws.

Don't think for one moment that these Sheriff's are going to give an automatic free pass under all circumstances for example if one is found to illegally possess a thirty round magazine or what-have-you. Circumstances will dictate whether or not someone goes to jail for violating a state gun law.

I don't see Sheriff's getting "fired," i.e., as in not getting re-elected, but I foresee a bunch of state legislators getting "fired" over the next couple election cycles!

19. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

BDT, Why don't you folks in Texas remove Yvonne Davis? She has proven with this legislation that she is incapable of understanding the Constitution of the US. Is that the kind of representation t6hat Texans want? I know in Michigan that wouldn't fly.

Chuck

20. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

Why don't you ask Holder why he don't enforce the law of the land. Then why should anyone else. Our SCJ just ask the same question.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.