1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lets hear from you crow hunters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Do we have anyone out there who is as passionate about crow hunting as I am? A friend of mine and I go crow hunting quite often and have been doing it for years. Today I got my first time ever, 2 birds one shot. My buddy did this once about 5 years ago. So far we are up to 153 for the season

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

I am going to hear back allot from this about how they kill songbirds and they are smart and hard to hunt, but I like my crows. They are entertaining to watch in my yard, they talk to one another more than any other bird. And you can plainly see them talking to the young ones. But hey you guys keep the population down which is good.

I just thought I would say something in their defense. Almost everyone I know and most of my brothers kill them every chance they get. If I ask them why, they usually say because I hate the damn things and go ranting about every reason they can come up with. I still like to watch them.

CM

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When i was a kid we used to hunt them all the time there was a $.10 bounty on them if you brought their feet to the court house, we were going to get rich LOL

We have been having a bunch of them migrate through here, but damn they are fast, hard to get to get a shot at them unless it's a rifle

They land on my shop and it sounds like a herd of horses on the steel roof

4. Catpower

A while ago I read an article that stated the pro vs anti on crows and there was a lot more good stuff they do then bad, and was by a respected wildlife group, but with my old fuzzy memory I can't remember who wrote it

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Claymuncher, your absolutely correct, crows are very smart. It doesn't take much to educate them.
    We always are trying to out smart them. Behind my house are dozens of crows which I never shoot because of houses, their very interesting to watch, and very vocal

6. Catpower

Vern pigeons are fun to shoot but after the first time they are shot at they learn how to dodge the bb's real good

When I was a kid in NW Iowa we used to drive around the county roads and go to the bridges and kick gravel off one side and run to the other and shoot the pigeons when they flew out, that was poor farm boy trap shooting

But it got us sharpened up for pheasant hunting

7. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

This morning we can 30 mph winds and them birds were moving. At one point I swear I gave it a
    four foot lead before I got one. Our load of choice is 5 shot, but there's been plenty of times when we ran out of shells, ran back to the truck and grabbed any shell we could find. Trap loads, #9, 3/4 ounce loads brought down a lot of birds.

8. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I use a 22-250 and snipe them in fallow fields out in the desert. it's tough, shooting a Raven is a crime, shooting a crow is OK. As far as I can tell, crows are ravens when the warden is around, otherwise, everything is a crow.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

When I was a kid I would hunt em with my Dad. He had a game caller. Back then it was a portable 45rpm record player with a loud speaker. If I remember it had 12 D size batteries.

We would find where they roosted and get in their flyway. The caller had a half dozen or so records; "Hawk and Crow fight", "Feeding call", "Rally Call", etc.. Killed a lot of em as there were thousands around at that time, large flocks. Don't see many anymore. I grew to respect the crow and became impressed by their intelligence and language. When we set up the caller and started blasting the "music" they (crows) would send over a couple of scouts first.

One smart bird. Don't hunt em anymore. Got to the point I just won't shoot anything I don't eat, except for clay targets.

10. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

A friend of mine and I used to hunt them alot. We didnt have a ton of money so we cut out cardboard silouete decoys and glued them to popsicle sticks, they did the trick. I know of an older gentlemen that hunts them everyday of the season, keeps a calender of how many he kills each day. He even went to Kansas this year and in 5 days he killed over 200 crows. He just loves to hunt them.

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

Like several of you I am not mad at Crows. I used to hunt wood pigeons in Ireland and UK and the farmers asked us to shoot crows because they pecked holes in the cover over grain and hay.

Hooded Ravens were a big No No just like in the States.

As for pigeons I shot them primarily with 28 or 32gr 7 1/2 bunker loads when those weights were permitted - always full and at least Mod with first barrel even though we constructed 'hides' for cover to get decoyed birds. Also Lot of long crossing shouts where you had to consciously hold high on the swing through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.