1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's go fishing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim R, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Let

If you think you are a fisherman try going out for a day with the boys from Astoria. You get to "cross the Bar" twice in one day

LET'S GO FISHING! THE ENTRANCE TO THE COLUMBIA RIVER, SEPARATING WASHINGTON / OREGON USA

http://www.youtube.com/embed/ByGSMmenPDM?rel=0

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Made me sea sick just watching it

This is the reason I joined the Air Force instead of the Navy

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

A little tough noticing if you have a bite, in those conditions. LOL

4. front242

front242 Member

Ugh. That's what you get when you run an 8 knot boat against a 6 knot push. You've got river flow and tidal push at work there. I must say, those guys must have balls of steel. Give me a 35 knot boat any day.

Tim
    ²4²

5. C-Money

C-Money Member

Hey, I've been accross the Coulmbia River Bar quite a few times, never threw weather and wavies like that! Amazing!

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Ain't no way Hosea. I love to fish and have been in some bad weather but nothing like that. I can't imagine taking that boat ride. A friend of mine from church was a ocean going tug boat captain and often guided ships into Tampa Bay in Clearwater Fl. His boat could go completely under, roll over and right it self. But it wasn't going to do that with me in it. LOL One of his boats was a concrete boat, I had never heard of such, but it would right itself in rough weather too. Jackie B.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

I think these guys need to make an investment.

8. C-Money

C-Money Member

Make an inverstment? Like more horsepower, bigger boat, life insurance? The Columbia River bar is sure nothing to mess with angry or not.

9. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

If I remember my fur trade history correctly, the Tonquin lost 8 hands in its first two attempts to cross this same sand bar around 1810. This ship, which was owned by John Jacob Astor's Pacific Fur Company, established Astoria and was the basis for Americas claim to the Oregon country after the war of 1812.

Imagine what it was like to attempt to do this in a sailing vessel in 1810. No diesel power, no GPS, no Coast Guard, nobody but God himself to guide you.

Courage and faith like that is what built America.

10. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

My grand parents lived in Portland ,Oregon, and my granddad would take us salmon fishing down there, out of Warrenton, Oregon. Went out over the bar many times. That was in the mid 60's. It was rough at times, but not that rough. I puked a bunch of times, but you got used to it. This guy had a 'crab boat', with a round stern on it, made at Tillamook, Oregon. That was about a sea-worthy boat that I had ever been on. His name was Lou Mattocks, and he knew that bar, and Columbia River pretty well. Thanks for the post.

11. JPM

JPM Member

I like to fish but not THAT much. Do they get any repeat customers? Wow!!!
    JPM

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I don't think they were fishing. I couldn't see any lines in the water, but I don't know what that was hanging off the port quarter of the one with the yellow cabin top. I think they were just inbound over the bar.

If you have your sea legs, a ride like that can be a real rush in the right vessel. In the wrong one, you question your sanity, and promise the Lord you'll never go to sea again if you can just get back ashore. If you look closely, it looks like they both surf a couple of times. That is a great feeling, but you can be flung sideways as quick as a wink, so you have to have an experienced hand at the helm to keep her on a straight course. I came down from south of the Aleutians into Juan de Fuca strait one time, in a 175' cargo ship, surfing like that most of the way until we were inside Cape Flattery, and I'll tell you, steering in those conditions is incredibly tiring! After a 4 hour watch, your back and shoulders are sore and tense, your legs are sore, and all you want to do is lie down and sleep!

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

In 1988 I purchased a new V-20 step lift Wellcraft fishing boat. We live close to Lake Erie where I had it docked. The big thing here is Walleye fishing. The wife & I went fishing on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon in May. We were about 6-8 miles out & the fish were hitting good. Weather forcast was very good. Lake erie can be treacherous with the shallow water & quick rising storms. A sudden storm came up with no warning. We headed for shore full throttle. When the storm hit us I had to slow down. The blinding rain with 40 mph winds & 10 foot waves will make a believer out of you. I kept telling myself,this is a sturdy well made boat. It is! When the waves came over the cuddy cabin,I wandered if my pumps would keep us afloat. After being blown 3-4 miles off course,the storm subsided. Later I found out this was the worst storm in years. Cedar Point never had a ride like this. My wife's arms were sore for a week from hanging on. She told the good lord, I don't care how you get me in,just get me in. I can relate to the film in the wild river.
    Clyde Doll

14. C-Money

C-Money Member

I hear you on how quick Erie can change. My uncle had a charter boat based out of Walnut Creek. Many a good days out on Lake Erie, many rough days as well. Like a small scale Columbia River bar, sometimes getting back into harbor was a challenge with big waves rolling up out off the mouth of Walnut creek.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tuff and dangerous way to make a living...

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I got that footage last week, saying it was somewhere in New Zealand or Australia ???????

17. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sometimes you don't even need a boat to land a really big one. See the "disappearing thread" from a couple months back.

18. C-Money

C-Money Member

When I first watched the video, part of me did not think the boats looked right for the area they were said to be from. I dont remember seeing any around the ports, Chinook, Ilwaco, Astoria, that were configured quite like those two. I would not be suprised if the footage was shot somewhere other than the Columbia.

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

It's not the Columbia - HD video by Geoff Mackley and Bradley Ambrose taken at the Gray River bar in full flood, Greymouth New Zealand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.