1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Let the scorer make the call ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jbmi, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Shot at the GLG, shot with people I did not know, all seemed to be experienced shooters.
    One the second field, new kid scoring, #1 position missed first bird out, clean miss, no dust, no chips, could not hear the call with my ear plugs in.
    I'm #2, same thing, clean miss, looked a #1 and we both smiled and shrugged our shoulders.
    When we rotated and the scores were called we both had 5's. I told the scorer I missed my first bird out and it should be a 4, #1 said nothing.
    I knew he missed, he knew he missed, but I guess we just have different standards.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You either have integrity or you don't.

Eric

3. emmylou1

emmylou1 Active Member

Eric summed it up pretty darn Good............

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I do as you do jbmi. If the scorer gives me one that I think I missed I'll tell him I think I missed it, if he insists he saw a chip then I'll let it stand. OTOH I won't call it on another squad member, like you say "I guess we just have different standards".

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Since we don't have trained and experienced scorekeepers, Trapshooting has to rely on the honesty and integrity of the players.

Trapshooting is more akin to golf than baseball.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

What Old Cowboy said, ask the scorer if he saw a piece...

I find it more frequent in doubles where they are rushed quite a bit more..

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The magic words. "I know I saw a piece."

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If the scorer says that it's good!

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The scorer does have the best seat in the house.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would rather shoot a 99 and lose honestly than to shoot a 100 and win by a give-me. I too will and have questioned the scorer even when it goes against my favor. As many have said, this is a game/sport of honesty and integrity. Of course there are those who lack both.

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I was on post 1 at the PA Keystone, and shooting those (discontinued) bright red wads. The scorer didn't call "lost", at a clearly missed target, and I turned and told her it was definitely lost and that she must have seen the red wad. Glenn Kelley, who was on post 5 also turned and confirmed that it was not hit, and the target was properly scored. I have a few remaining shells loaded with those wads; but don't use them for anything but practice.

best....mike

12. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

If the scorer says he/she saw a chip, its a dead bird. They have the best seat in the house. Shooters not seeing the chip does not mean it wasn't there

13. WJN

WJN TS Member

My wife has been scoring so I don't open my mouth about anything. Although it was kindly pointed out to me that both times I ran 25 (in my life) - which included my first in registered targets this past weekend - she had been scoring. :)

If we see a small chip we try to point it out. I have had fellow squad mates point out my chips I did not see. I don't want any score that isn't correct.

Jim

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The rules clearly state who makes the final determination whether a target is dead or lost and it's not the shooters. All shooters can do is state what they observed if they disagree with the ref. The ref can reverse his/her call but doesn't have to. A club official can't reverse a dead/lost call either unless he was present at the time and was acting as a referee.

If one doesn't like the ref's performance, they can always ask for a replacement.

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Shooters are not required, and sometimes not able, to determine if they missed a target. And, the other shooters are not scorekeepers. So, where do we go from here?

16. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I worked as a scorer for many years in my youth.

The scorer has the final ruling in any questionable situation. Discuss it with them if you like, but do it politely, and before the station move.

Hits/losses need to be discussed ASAP, not @ the end of the round.

If a club does not have experienced/trained scorers, shame on them!!

I am not saying don't have integrity/honesty, but that the questionable call needs to be settled ASAP, and a determination made by the scorer that was observing. Period.

Mike

17. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I don't have the sharpness of vision that I once did, but sometimes I forget that fact. More than once I have been positive that I missed a bird and had it scored a hit. Always, it seems it was my mistake and not the scorers, according to linemates. One more for "the best seat in the house". Bill

18. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

It's nice to see so many people would be honest and not take a freebie. Maybe there's hope for us after all.

19. midalake

midalake Banned User Banned

P-l-e-a-s-e

ALWAYS stop after your shot if you think the scorer called a lost target you hit.

NEVER stop if you "think" you missed but "ALWAYS" ask the scorer on the station move.

NEVER try to change a target call from a hit to a loss for another squad mate UNLESS you are asked by an official!!!!!! ALWAYS!!!!

Just good squad etiquette

GS

20. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

So, what some of you are saying, if I KNOW I missed the bird because my flinch placed my shot 10' above and behind the bird, but the new kid scorer was thinking about his girlfriend and marked it as good, you keep it because "he has the best seat in the house" Shame on you!!
    I bet you're also the first one to scream at the kid ( who has the best seat in the house) for calling a loss when you saw that small chip fall off, you should not have it both ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.