1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Let em come in boys!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I found a nice stand for coyotes last month. Happened to be right behind the house. I got my calls ready and set my date and time, today in the late afternoon. I set out with ambitions HIGH, and ammo loaded to perfection. Started my calling as I was sittin for around 45 min. Spotted a nice size full grown yote off in the distance. Next thing I knew the wife was sending me a text message. "Honey there is a nice coyote on the hill out on the front hill" I replied "I'm watching him come towards me!!" I started feeling the pressure and pounding of the heart. I let him do his thing along the way but was thinking how nice it would be to get the shot while he was in my wife and baby's view. At a stand still I took the shot. MISSED!!! He made a run right across the front of me along the fence and got aim to take another shot... MISSED!!! I wanted to cry. Thought I could make a long shot and was hoping to get to show the ladies how it is done. I am totally done with rushing the shots. Moral of the story screw all else be patient and "LET EM COME IN BOYS!!!"

2. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I made the same mistake last year, but mine was not about to get closer.

I had a "fair" rest and touched it off.

It jumped, spun in circles biting at itself, fell over, but stood back up.

I got off a second shot but was a clear miss.

It slowly went North out of sight.

I let it rest a while, then started looking. Found blood, but dark like a muscle shot.

A neighbor saw it later and said it only had three legs, and I saw it again about 3 months later with three others.

I wheeled the distance and was surprised it was 420 yds!

Have not seen them this year, but maybe after deer season. They have lots to eat at the neighbors farrowing house dump.

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Yes our neighbors have a nice pin of rabbits. And would like to keep the yote population down for the deer and elk sake. Not to mention the cattle's. I plan to go out again this afternoon depending on how things work out. I won't go to the same stand hope to get to another one if it's no too wet.

4. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Been calling in coyotes for several years.... They will come right up to you if you are patient and still! Shot many @ 20 yards or less. One August, a few years back, I called in a female( I guess ) and 7 half grown pups. I was not anticipating action that quickly and did not have my rifle loaded. I did get one of the young dogs but the rest scattered in all directions. Always had great luck using a red fox pup distress call. 15-20 minutes with no action I would blow a howler/bark along with the fox distress. Produced ~75% of the time. Lots of fun, enjoy!

Joe

5. geeber

geeber Member

I love it when I see coyotes in my neighborhood in Florida. Stupid people put food out for the mangy stray cats. Next thing you know cats are everywhere and animal control won't do anything about them. Then one morning I will see a couple coyotes when I leave for work. Two days later,NO CATS!! I love coyotes.

Gary B.

6. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Bvr Tail,

I've taken a fair number of coyotes over the last 30 years here in NE Missouri. It's been my experience that when as you said the coyote had spun in circles biting itself that you probably gut shot the animal. It has been my experience though, more often than not, it is usually a gut shot that causes them to do what I call "chase their tail".

Also, if you do happen to take a shot at a coyote and do not kill it or hit it, chances are that will be the only time you will get a shot at him in that location. They are one of the smartest animals I have ever hunted.

Good luck and shoot straight!

7. Bvr Tail

BBBob

It's possible I gut shot him, but I doubt that would have made his back leg fall off!

Good shooting, also

Danny

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Coyotes favorite food, domestic house cat!!

Seen it over and over in my living in rural life.

If you have a cat problem in your area, they make great live bait!

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>..."if you do happen to take a shot at a coyote and do not kill it or hit it, chances are that will be the only time you will get a shot at him in that location...."</i>

A coyote makes only one mistake, and he's either dead or he never makes that mistake again.

As for housecats... Get a "housecat in distress" recording. Dynamite on urban and semi-rural yotes.

10. Bvr Tail

I could record my granddaughter singing, because I have always told her it sounded like someone stepped on a cat's tail!!

Love her, though.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.