1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lessons learned in hunting geese

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Sep 4, 2013.

1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have been a goose hunter for years and with pretty good success but what happened yesterday taught me a few things. Never trust a goose is dead and bigger is not always better. I had bought an 870 super mag because a friend had used one turkey hunting and said they were great. So a flock of geese came over at about 45 yards I picked out a bird and fired and it folded up like a goose shot dead in the air does. Then the gun jammed so I only got 1 shot and then I realized I had an instant headache probably a concussion. I could see the goose lying on its back but it was across a spillway and going to take me about 10 minutes to retrive. It was kicking its feet alittle but showed no sign that it could even turn over. So I make the 10 minute walk to it and when I get to within about 5 feet of it It springs to life and there is only one way out of there and that is past me in very tight quarters. So you can imagine my surprise when a dead goose comes right at me and passes me at about 3 feet and takes to flight and disappears. I had a headache all evening. So the 11-87 with 3" shells will have to do and I will never believe a goose is dead until I cut off its head. Just a bad day in the goose blind!

2. Crunch

Crunch Member

Kinda gave me goose bumps just reading about it.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

If you truly wanted that bird you would have jumped on it when it went past. I mean heck, you already had a headache, what's a few bruises.

BTW, its a rush.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Sounds like you and the goose both may have received nothing worse than a headache.

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I would've paid an admission fee to see that.....thanks for the laugh!!

Curt

6. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

But can somebody explain how a bird can fall and look dead for 10 minutes and then get up and fly off? My doctor said he was on a float trip down a river and shot a goose and it looked dead so he put it in the canoe behind him and in a little while he felt something hitting him in the back and looked around and that goose was hissing at him and trying to bite him through his hunting coat he said after wrestling with it he cut its head off and of course got sprayed with blood for 2 minutes. He said it ruined him on goose hunting so I guess I'm not the only one with a story.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My Uncle Bill shot a buck once and stood over it, lifting the head to cut the throat. It came to life and galloped off with him aboard.

He fell off right away and the deer crashed into the brush, giving Dad time for a kill shot.

They talked about that one for years.

Remembering the story I always use caution approaching downed game.

For geese I have a folding hunter I use the narrow blade and stick it in from behind just under the skull.

Turns them off like a light switch.

HM

8. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I put a hunting coat with a pheasant in the game pocket in the back of my brand new '67 Dodge Charger. When we got back from lunch, he was running around and crapping all over the rear seat!

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Had a deer come to life in a panel van once. Long story.

10. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

With deer, elk, sheep etc, a shot through the back strap hitting one of the bones but not breaking the spin will often drop the animal like a spine shot. I found that if the animal lifts it head you better shoot again.

Not sure what happen with the goose, may be a pellet hit the spine but did not break it, but the shock cause temporary paralyzes.

Jason

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect goose hunt to me. You have the fun of calling it in, making the shot, & before you have to clean it & eat it, it flies away. Great goose hunt!

12. verypoor

verypoor Member

Once,
    I hit a deer with my truck,Grabbed him and tossed him into the bed.
    I was still heading to my hunting spot, a vehicle was coming behind me, in the rearview mirror was this deer lookin back at me.
    I pulled over and waved the other vehicle to pass. The look on their faces was priceless.
    Opening morning of buck season, still an hour before daylight, and i have one sitting in my truck,

When my feet hit the ground, it was on, like i had a tazmanian devil by the short hair.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pheasant hunting in So. WI years ago. Sitting in a coffee shop, saw a big buck run out of the trees and across the road, with 3 guys hanging onto the horns.

14. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

That's an easy cure, there should be a law on the books one must have a working retriever in the blind. When I say working, knows how to be line steady, mark, Back, over.......

15. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Went dove hunting once with my buddy Wayne Wilcox near the Polk County Trap Club in Winter Haven, FL. I had a plane to catch, , got doves out and one flew off. Wayne killed it and had a good laugh at me.

16. Biggray

Biggray TS Member

Steel shot for you!!! I despise the stuff. It has wounded more waterfowl than anyone will ever know. Granted it has came along way from when it was first introduced, but the cost of shooting each goose three times to kill it with steel is more than one shot of Hevi Shot. So there for I shoot Hevi shot.