1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Les Baer Pistols

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Westie, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Member

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on Les Baer pistols? Thanks.

2. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I have no personal experience, but have been told that they are excellent - really top drawer, but also very expensive.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Good but need 500 to "break in",,,,,Wilson Combat and some others are gtg from the box.....

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The best, machined AFTER heat treating. I have a Classic Ed Brown built on a Les Baer slide and frame, very nice. Should have bought one straight from Baer. No break in needed for mine.

bigdog, do you have one that needed a 1000 round "break-in or are you reading too many gun magazines? I would wager they work fine right out of the box, smooth from the get-go.. Wilson and others generally do not hold the tolerances Baer does.

5. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

I've had several. Best 1911's available. Right out of the rather crude box they run flawlessly. Yes they are really tight, but no problem operating. I've had almost all of the varieties of 1911's from Colt, Kimber, Wilson, NightHawk, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, STI, etc. but I always come back to the Les Baer's. IMO the best fitting and performing 1911 you can get. My favorites are the Stinger for ccw, the Super-Tac for plinking and the Monolith for serious target competition. All of mine have been 45ACP but I've tried the 38 supers and they're nice as well. My Monolith gets .5" groups at 50 yards from a Ransom Rest - not quite so small when I'm doing the shooting ;-)! If you want the best 1911, buy a Baer. They also hold their value well for when the next urge hits.

6. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I have two...outstanding shooters tight out of the box.

7. MilCon

MilCon Member

I have a Brown Bear, a Wilson and a CZ P7.
    All are large frame guns.

I if I had to choose on a 123 basis I would go #1 wilson, #2 CZP7 and then the Brown Bear.

The wilson is flawless at 25 feet,3/4 " group.
    the CZ will group .5" holes at 10 feet
    The Brown Bear will hit the broad side of the barn good enough to hit center of mass at 15 feet.

I have run about 1000 rounds through each

All fuction flawlessly.

If I had to carry, I would use the CZsince it has a "painted ceramic finish" with Wilson 8 round mags loaded one in chamber and 7 in the Mag.

Just my Opinion.

Just my opinion.

Flame away :) !!!!!!!!!!

8. MilCon

MilCon Member

Man I hate spell check.

I know Baer, Baer, Baer.

Dam it.

9. JRW

JRW Member

Is there a website for Baer pistols? Jerry

10. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I shoot bullseye and have two Les Baer Bullseye Wadcutter 1911's in 45 ACP. A very superb target pistol. I had the 50Y 1 1/2" accuracy and trigger job done to them. Each has a bomar rib, one has open sights and the other has a scope mount for a red dot.

Also have a slab side monolith.

Also have an open gun in 9mm with 6" slide and the accuracy and trigger job. This baby has the Aristo-Crat rear sight and is a super accurate 9mm with home built ammo. I build my ammo on an old Star Universal (thus my Handle Star4Ever).

As mentioned earlier, the Baers do require alot of break in with hardball as when the come from Baer, the slide to frame fit is very very tight. I was told by Les to shoot them wet (oil) and do not clean for the first 500 or so rounds. The dirt and oil act as a lapping compound and the gun will self lap the slide to frame fitment thru shooting. For that reason, do not change the main spring until it is broken in, only after. But even when they so called break in, they are very tight guns.

I run 13 pound springs in my bullseye guns as I am using a powderpuff load of Clays with a self poured H&G mould bullet.

The Baer guns hold their value, are very easy to sell in the aftermarket. The wait time on anything special is 6 months or more.

Overall a top notch working gun which has garnered high regard from those in the know.

11. willsweptline

willsweptline Member

Les Baer pistols shoot like rifles. However, that being said, they are fitted extremely tight (which is necessary for peak accuracy in a 45) and as a result I don't believe I would trust one for, say, a carry gun, but for a target pistol they are tops!

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Johnny, Here is where I got my info when I was looking for a 1911,,,,,I was off on the round count and have corrected my post to reflect this. Now this was about 8-10 years ago so my memory was a little off.

13. cnsane

cnsane Member

In my first hand experience: Well made and over-priced. Their my way or the highway approach to me coming to their shop trying to order a custom gun built by them put them on my never again list. But if you want one of their "standard" offerings in a pistol, it's less than a year waiting time while they finish up fitting together their cash cow AR's.

14. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

When I was looking for a 1911 I went to the gun store and the first gun he pulled out was a Baer. I couldn't work the slide and had to have him do it. He then handed me a Wilson and a Brown with a slide like butter on both. Looked at all 3 side by side and the fit and finish is not in the same ballpark.
    The Brown and Wilson were heads and tails ahead of the Baer and even though they cost more I felt it was worth it and bought a Wilson CQBE which I love. The Baer group says they have to be tight to be good? Maybe that is why they have a 6 month wait while the others have a year or more.

15. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I must be the odd ball or an idiot. I decided to go with the Ed Brown stainless executive carry. Very excited to say the least.

Ed Brown Company must be doing something right. Their back-log is 7 months. Does your business have orders that stretch into next March?

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The examples of finished Les Baer 1911's that I have seen and shot were all top drawer quality. The prices for the finighed guns are reasonable and you get a better understanding of that when you try to build your own 1911 from the frame up.

Certainly the Les Baer line should be considered if you are shopping for a quality 1911.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Krieghoff100 , I also have a Ransom Rest. You say .5" groups at 50yds. that is quite a boast! How many shots in that "group"? And how many times have you performed such a feat? I have two 45's that will put 5 shots in a 1/2" at 25yds occasionally
    but that is a long way from 50yds and 5 shots is not much of a boast. 10 shots would mean something. I always have a few shots jump out of the group, so realistically, I have a 1 1/2" at 25yd gun. That would be 3" at 50yds which is Baer's standard claim, still damn good. Always figured his 1 1/2" @ 50yd claim was more BS than truth. .

bigdogtx , Any new 45 should be well oiled and shot a while to ensure it will operate but it is when you say "needs" to be broken in that I disagree with.

First thing I do when I look a new 45 is remove the mag and shake it, if it rattles like an old Colt, I don't need to know anything else. I hope the new Colt auto that the military is buying is better than the 70 and 80 series.

18. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Go to any Bullseye match. Other than full house customs and extensively modified Colts and Springfields the most popular gun is a bone stock Les Baer.

The Bullseye crowd is a very discerning group so draw your own conclusion.

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The best value in a truly custom pistol- you can pay more but you wont get more

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

I have a Les Baer Premier II target gun. It is just fantastic. It didn't cost a fortune, functions beautifully, and is just incredibly accurate. I went through more 1911's than I'd like to remember before buying the P-II. I've now had that gun for 7 years and am perfectly happy with it. My only modification was a pair of very pretty rosewood grips. I could have saved quite a lot of money by buying the Les Baer first. Regarding the Wilson crowd, it's like the K-gun/P-gun rivalry. Both are expensive, both are excellent. I've owned both and have my preference. Shoot them and see what you prefer. Good luck and happy shooting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

les baer wait time