1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Les Baer Pistols-Anybody shoot them?

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by CharlieAMA, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

0   0   0

I know this will open another can of worms, but have any of you owned or shot Les Baer .45's. Comments,factory support, et.al. Thanks, Charlie Henderson

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

I've got a Thunder Ranch Special that shoots very nice. I can't say it's any better than an STI I have. I have no knowledge of their customer service after the sale as It hasn't needed a thing.

ss

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

0   0   0

Friend has one, awesome gun. Once the budget allows, I have my eyes set on the wadcutter one.

4. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

0   0   0

I put a lot of rounds through mine shooting heavy 230 grainers through it at bowling pins. This was a while ago but I never had one problem with it. It was quality work.

CM

5. willsweptline

willsweptline Member

0   0   0

Had 2, great guns, shoot like rifles. Fitted incredibly tight though, so they will hang occasionally, but that's the sacrifice you make with a match quality pistol.

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have two Les Baers in .45; fine fine pistols, very very accurate.
    Never had a problem, so I do not have any experience with their service.
    Dave

7. CharlieAMA

0   0   0

Thanks for those comments. I presently shoot a Glock 19(Ihave three of them), but I have a Colt .45, Government model, 1944 Parkerized, Army model that I love to shoot. But don't want it for a CCW. So, am thinking about a Les Baer .45. Higher than a Kimber, but lower than a Wilson or some other custom jobs I've looked at. Charlie Henderson

8. cnsane

cnsane Member

0   0   0

Eff Les Baer. I went in person to his shop when it was in Hillsdale, Ilinois with cash in hand. Knew exactly what I needed to replace a carry gun I previously used. Was given a my way or the highway speech by the woman who wrote their build orders. Only good thing I can say for him is that when all the gun manufacturers in Illinois threatened to leave the State over a new fire-arms tax, he was the ONLY company that backed their retoric with action. Now he's in LeClaire, Iowa riding the assalt rifle band wagon. Very pretty fire-arms with very high prices.

9. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I worked for Les back 20 years ago when his shop was in Rock Island, IL and he was designing his own barrels and parts used in his custom pistols. His workmanship is outstanding and you can't find a better built auto. He built a short slide pin gun (for shooting 9 pin event at Second Chance in Michigan) on a 38 super Colt frame and later changed it to a IPSC single stack gun for me when I shot in IPSC competition. Worked great only needed very hot loads to function. Trigger work excellent. If you need something special from Les, insist on talking to him personally, he will work with you.

Sue

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Les Baer makes excellant pistol but there are several makers that
    make as good a 1911 for less money. Do some research.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

sky buster, Who are the guys "that make as good a 1911 for less money" ??

Do they machine the slide and frame AFTER heat treating?

12. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

0   0   0

So........the consensus is no one knows how their service is because they don't break. Good problem to have I guess. I have always loved his craftsmanship being a machinist myself.

Chris

13. Edwin D

Edwin D Member

0   0   0

I own five Baers at this time.

They do NOT need service!

THEY need SHOOTING!!!

There is NOT a better 1911 for the $!!!!!!!!!!!

14. CharlieAMA

0   0   0

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. Happy New Year and good shooting. Charlie Henderson.

15. 1963

1963 TS Member

0   0   0

I have an Les Baer .45 with a red dot scope for sale. The gun was fine tuned by Jack Maples and shoots 1 inch groups at 50 feet with 185 grain semi-wadcutters and 3.8 grains of Clays. I wish I had the skills to shoot this 1911, but my hand is not steady enough. The .45 is in excellent shape and less then 600 rounds shot through it. If interested I'll send pictures. $1200 plus shipping to your FFl guy. Mike C. 631-979-7297...cell #516-448-2154

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

These guns have a several-hundred-round break-in period. They are not reliable out of the box. Most any 1911 will give problems with some ammo. Make sure the defensive fodder you choose works in your gun.

Issues I have had is if the gun malfunctions, it is the shooter's fault.

Having been in customer service for many years, the attitude at that shop has cost them customers.

I cannot see carrying a very high priced handgun that may be a liability to the user if he does not train extensively with it. OTOH, if used in a shooting, it will be gone for months as evidence, if the shooting is good.

For any where near the money, many custom gunsmiths say the Sig 1911 is the hot one for now. No break in, no issues, good parts, hand fitted, SIG SAUER. The Rolex of 1911 handguns.

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

For carry when your life depends on it, the Glocks are tough to beat. They are butt ugly but the damn things just shoot and shoot and shoot.

18. Glockamole

Glockamole Member

0   0   0

I have several custom 1911's and have owned many over the years. Picked up a Baer in 38 Super a couple of years ago and have been really pleased with it. Very accurate and reliable. Fit and finish are really nice. Different makers build them a little different based on their approach. Overall, I still like my Clark Custom Combat the best, Baer next followed by Wilson. All are good...jsut a little different. I always keep my eye on the auctions and will likely pick up a Baer TRS eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.