1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leo's Tree

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by indycamster, Aug 30, 2013.

1. indycamster

indycamster Member

Leo

Those of you who are familiar with the NFL, know that the Sport Center talking heads frequently comment on Bill Parcells and the number of coaches who worked for him and then went on to have their own success as coaches. This is called the "Parcells Tree." Branches off that tree include Bill Bellichick, Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin, all have Super Bowl Championships..and all credit Parcells as the main influence on them.
    What would Leo's Tree look like? How many shooters over the years where students of Leo Harrison III? How many became All Americans? Won a Major shoot or just shot better than before?
    I have it from a very credible source that Leo "thrived on the success of his students and was always happy to hear from them."
    So if you benefited in any way from Leo as a student, took advice from him, bought his DVDs, attended a clinic, please comment on this thread, tell us how far you've gone and what you have accomplished as a result. It would be wonderful if all of those who reached, ALL AMERICAN, ALL STATE, or just won your club championship, linked them selves to the LEO TREE. With Leo as the trunk of the tree put yourself on here as a branch or leaf. Let's see how big the tree would be.
    What better way to remember Big Leo, than to list the shooters who were his students..those who will keep the memory alive with good shooting.
    Take Care,
    Clarence A. Mason
    Carmel, IN

2. kenf

kenf Active Member

I took a clinic with Leo and Randy Ross back 2004. I was shooting decent back then, but not great. Leo pointed out a couple of things I needed to adjust to shoot better. I went on to shoot my way into AA status the following year, get in the shootoffs at the last Vandalia Grand, and led PA in Handicap Averages in 2006. So, yeah, he definitely helped me out. I remember shooting that day and asking Leo how I could hit them any harder, as I wasn't hanging balls of smoke. Leo said, Ken, you can't hit them any harder. I had Leo sign my Grand program in 2005- I need to get it framed now.

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I was a pistol and rifle shooter for 40+ years and did not shoot shotguns.

As many predicted, I couldn't hit anything with a shotgun.

Started shooting registered ATA in August 2011.

In the winter of 2012, I took Leo's two-day clinic twice -- back to back -- for a total of four days in Casa Grande, Arizona.

I attended my first Grand American this year (2013).

In one of the 200-shot Singles events I came in fifth in my classification.

May be the lowest score to make the Grand American trophy book in history, but it is my score and I'm proud of it.

I give Leo all the credit for getting me going on the right foot.

I will be flying on an airline later today and I will be re-watching my two Leo DVDs again during the flight.

4. Classic Trap

Classic Trap TS Member

Last year, I attended Leo's clinic in Oakdale, Ca. I had been using the "Big Guys" DVDs and was anxious to meet and learn from Leo first hand. I have attended clinics conducted by Kay, Phil Kiner, and Frank Little over the years. Each and every one was first rate and my shooting improved. Each of these legends was able to move my game forward. Leo saw some things in my shooting that allowed me to take the next step. Without his expert eye, I would not likely have corrected the problem. And that has made all the difference.

PITA Spring Grand: Vet Singles Champion

PITA Ca State Shoot: Vet HOA, Vet Singles Champion, Vet Doubles RU, Vet Handicap RU

Target Year Averages: Singles 98.09 Handicap 92.86 Doubles 93.67

Leo gave me the encouragement to return to competitive shooting after ten years away from the sport; he gave me the secret to having fun again ! Now every time I take the line, Leo is in my squad.........

classictrap_2010_0802.jpg

5. indycamster

indycamster Member

Thanks Classic! This is exactly what we hoped to see...congratulations on these achievements! Keep it up!

6. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

I took a clinic from Leo at Roachdale gun club in Indiana. Leo told me I was "coming out of the gun" to soon. I would have never beloved it, but he showed me a video & it was so. He told me to pick out a piece after breaking the target. It helped. Wayne Downham / Camden, IN

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

When the dust settles, and when the arrangements for the HOF have been fleshed out, a young Red Oak sapling should be planted in the adjoining yard. An appropriate bronze plaque should be set in stone within a few feet of the tree.

8. kenf

kenf Active Member

I disagree, the trees should be planted behind the shoot off banks at the Grand- the one place you know where you could always find Leo.

9. indycamster

indycamster Member

Hmm? WS-1 and kenf, It's not that kind of tree...more like a "Family Tree," of descending order from Leo down to all the students he had..But we could still plant a real tree as you suggest, but now, we just want to have those who benefited from Leo's teaching or instruction to show how they have succeeded as shooters..
    Thanks..

10. kenf

kenf Active Member

I understand the point of the thread, but thought physical trees would also be a fitting reminder, especially when they have grown taller than most of the competitors at the Grand.

11. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Some people refer to it as symbolism. Wiser men than we may call it the "Leo Oak." In 100 years, it will have already been the inspiration for many a young shooter. Trapshooting doesn't need marketing, it needs men of honor, courage and integrity...sort of like Leo. You know, something to look up to.