1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEO's: Good Flashlight?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Sam (ATA Noobie), Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Hello Shooters!

This question is geared more specifically to the LEO's we have here on the site. I work for campus police and am in desperate need of a much better flashlight. Budget is $100 or so.

Any reccomendations?

2. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

GET A L.E.D. MAGLIGHT 3 D CELL.-RICK ZINO

3. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Do you want a compact flashlight or one you can use as a baton if needed?

Try the above URL...

Hawk,

4. jtf650

jtf650 Member

I'm not a LEO, and I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I do have the cheapest SureFire light, around $35. In terms of light production, it just blows away 2AA or 2D cell MagLites. Wouldn't be much good as a baton, but you could maybe temporarily blind somebody with it- it's that bright. The lithium batteries have a very long shelf life, but they're expensive (around $2 each) and don't last long in actual use, I think they claim 1 hour. James Fawcett

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Try Pacific Tactical and search for Wolf Eyes 9 volt. 200 Lumens. 44.95. A lot more lumens per dollar compared to the major brands and I'm convinced that it's all about lumens. I am absolutely thrilled with mine. Haven't picked up a MagLite since I got the Wolf Eyes.

FWIW

Bob

6. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you can afford it go with a Streamlight 35LX. Carried one when I worked for DC Police. Puts out a blinding light to disorient your subject and doubles as a baton.
    Mike Battista

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Surefire all the way. They have great lamps for well under $100, and their C3 Centurion is monumentally brighter than even a FOUR cell Maglight, and one fifth the size. Do NOT get a huge Mag light to use as a baton, it will get you hammered in civil court!

Take training to use it as a night vision and defensive device. 80% of confrontations take place in diminished or no light conditions. A C3 light will totally blind an attacker in reduced light conditions allowing you to retreat or to "shoot and scoot", depending on the situation.

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

The C3 Centurion is a good light. And if you take this 129.00 light and add the 27.00 high output lamp, you will get the 200 lumen performance and for only 3.47 times the price of the Wolf Eyes with the same performance. You did mention a budget didn't you?

Bob

9. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Need a new flashlight.....budget=$100.00.....Wow !! I am definately out of the loop on pricing !!........Uncle Sam, Pa.

10. 100straight

100straight Member

I am a City Administrator, so I have been involved in purchasing Fire and Police equipment for many years. I have also served as a firefighter in the past, and I have a Streamlight flashlight that I bought back in the late 1980s. It is a four cell and has been used hard, but still works great. It is machined aluminum, and anodized black. You could use it as a baton and I don't think it would phase it. I highly recommend them. I placed their website link above.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

11. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

Above site might provide some useful info.

12. 100straight

100straight Member

Actually I see that the link I previously posted is a point of purchase. If you want all the specs from the manufacturer's website, see the link above.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

13. alpine

alpine TS Member

I retired many years ago, but MagLite and Streamlite were the best police flashlights on the market at that time. Maglite was issued equipment in our department.

14. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I carried Streamlites from the time I started in 1983 until I retired last year. They are sturdy, bulbs last and don't break from the least little impact and the batteries last good. If I was to buy one now, I would buy a Streamlite Stinger XT rechargable. You won't be sorry. A good light may save your life one day.
    Pat Haskins

15. karbyen

karbyen TS Member

Sam, I carry a Surefire Z2 with a P61 lens on my duty belt along with a Streamlight TLR1 for my Sig 229. I also have the usual 4 cells that I don't use much anymore. If you really want to know all the scoop on flashlights, I suggest you email brightflashlites@aol.com and have Calvin Hall email you his toll-free #. This fellow knows his stuff. Has very good prices, and he is also a very pleasent person. You will enjoy talking to Calvin. #56-30

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Surefire now makes a 105 lumen G3 with a polymer body for about $60 bucks. That should satisfy anyone's budget. If your life might depend on your equipment, Surefire is hard to beat. Accessories are plentiful, and the lights are VERY TOUGH.

The Wolf light for $38 compares to the Surefire G2 Nitrolon, except the Surefire is much brighter, and about 15% cheaper. ??????? Budget?

I have five Surefire lamps. When I train with folks in the know, the Surefire lamp is the standard. When it comes to commanding the night, the 105 lumen G3 Nitrolon which retails for a mere $60 will do the trick. For an extra $20 or so, you can convert it to 200 lumens! A 200 lumen burst in darkness gives you that violet ball in your eyes and you are totally blind for a moment. Don't cheap out on vital tools if you are buying duty equipment. It is like taking a Maverick Shotgun to the Grand.

Streamlight is starting to be seen on the street, but they are having durability and reliability issues. Their strobe lamp is a good idea, but they are failure prone. When they work, they are SCARY. Even seasoned pros are disoriented enough to be taken in the dark with this tool.

Diminshed Light Shooting Techniques are badly overlooked by folks carrying firearms for duty and personal protection.

17. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Thanks to all of you!

I will def. look into the Wolf Eyes. I should explain that I'm a student officer on a college campus, and therefore obviously don't carry a firearm...however, I find myself in the same situations as the tazer-armed officers.

Seeing as a blinding light could be my best/only weapon, 200 lumens sounds about right. I'd like something I COULD use as a baton if my life depended on it, but not a bulky 3-cell maglite that I have to walk around with for 7-14 hours at a time.

I'd like something I can take with me if I choose to persue law enforcement as a career (currently a triple major...none of which is Criminal Justice). Also, I noticed there are rechargable flashlights. Are they worth the premium?

Thanks again,

Sam

18. BP348

BP348 Active Member

Streamlight Stinger.

It's rechargable and worth the $$. It's about $100 from galls.com

As shooting coach said DO NOT BUY a FLASHLIGHT TO USE AS A BATON!!!!!

If you decide to go into Law Enforcement your much better off using an ASP baton, Taser, or O.C. spray.

And if you decide to go into Law Enforcement your department should provide a flashlight. If not I'd wait and save the money. Why spend money on a high end flashlight if your not going to use it?

19. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

Well, I am going to use it at my current job for 2 years anyways.

I think I like the idea of the Wolf Eyes. Being on a tight budget, cheaper looks better. And if my light dies, I'll just run ;)

They don't pay me enough to get stabbed ;) Hahaha.

Thanks all!

Sam

20. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

remember the maglite 4-d (or 6-d) cell filled w/ shot, makes a real good persuader LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.