1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leo's Golden Pigeon BT99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jac2926, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jac2926

jac2926 TS Member

I could use a bit of help here. My father recently passed away and I ended up with a BT99 that I was having difficulty tracking down as far as the mocel and such went. I ended up calling Browning and talking to their historian, Glen, and he was extremely helpful. Turns out the BT99 was shipped to Leo's Custom Gun Stocks in Library, PA on May 30th, 1991. So, what I would like to know:
    What did Leo do to the guns?

Per Browning, this one was shipped with a price of $1395.00. It now has a release trigger, was that standard from Browning or Leo's or was it added later?

It has a recoil reduction system that I haven't been able to identify. While this isn't important as far as this gun goes, I have another old BT99 and that one has the same recoil reduction system, hwever a set screw is missing and the foam between the two pieces is missing. I would like to get them replaced.

Also, for insurance / replacement purposes, how do I go about getting an appraisal on the gun? The two local gunshops I took it to didn't know what it was.

Thanks,

John

2. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

John<br>
    I agree with Shootlow on the prices. You could post a picture or two here on What is it worth? and somebody will usually come along that has one, just bought one, or just sold one. If you don't know how to post pictures, check the pictures threads and they will walk you through it. Gun Broker.com and Guns America.com will sometimes have a LEO for sale. You can see what they are asking for them, however if nobody is bidding, the price may be a little to high for selling. For a search, just type in LEO and it should tell you if it has any. Midwest gunworks has Browning parts if you find out what you need. Good luck.

3. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

Leo Crear was a high volumn dealer for Browning. Therefore they made limited runs on various models with a distinict serial #. Some had upgraded wood and other frills. Some are more prized than others depending on the frills. it will be a chore to get an honest price for the gun for what ever reason.I'm sure some here will come along with more help. Mike

4. Owl

Owl TS Member

I ordered a "Leo's Special" BT99 back in 1996. They informed me it was special run with upgraded wood on the standard receiver and barrel. Accept with # of # gold engraved serial numbering. The wood was very nice. The price was $1,395, as I looked up the receipt before typeing this. I also paid $65 for a Hiram's Bear Trap right hand shooter recoil reducer. He pushed this as the unit he had the most positive feedback from. Compared to my old BT99 it definatley shot softer. The Bear Trap was explained to me as a sealed unit, with some form of fluid, and spinning baffles on a shaft imersed in the fluid. The direction of the spin was dictated by a right or left handed model. Since Leo himself was pushing that device I suspect you may have the same unit. I still have the gun and it's my primary shooter for singles and caps. I can shoot it all day with AA light loads and not have any shoulder tenderness.

5. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

John,
    Please e-mail me at above address, I just bought a gun like yours, infact it sounds like the same gun. you should have a serial number on the top of the gun
    by the locking lug lever. Drop me a note and I will share info with you.
    Whit Haselton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.