1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leopold VXIII can they be dated? Value

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have a Leopold VXIII on a older early 70s Ruger M77 rifle. I believe this came from the factory but not sure?? Im thinking of splitting the set up. I'm thinking the scope maybe worth more by its self? It has the Ruger high/low rings. The rifle it self has seen a bit of use in the 80s dear hunting. not so much in recent years. Has a few dings on the stock.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Post the serial number prefix (or suffix if made after 1992) and I'll tell you the year made.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Post the serial number prefix (or suffix if made after 1992) and I'll tell you the year made.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Generally a new scope can be had for as low as 1/2 of what the MSRP is

a used in perfect conditon 1/3

but you can ask what you want

dont plan on making money selling a used scope

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Gene,

I am looking for a Leupold scope VX-L. Where can I find one for half of the MSRP? I have looked high and low and it is always the same price...Leupold MSRP.

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I bet you can easily get 3/4 of common semi-discounted price if in 95% condition or better...but we are talking Leupold here.

7. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

I like the idea that I can get the large obj. for light gathering without having to hold my head up to see thru the scope. I have shot a lot of trap over the years and like the feel of my head on the comb when I look thru the scope.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

On closeouts guys

Look at the retail price that the outfit shows - what is it SWTA? and what they sell it for

Listen to what 1 OZ states also

Now the above means new in the box scope

If it is new and mounted on the rifle- you are dreaming( or smoking something illegal in most states) if you think it is anywhere near what close out but new in the box is.

regards from the great state of Iowa

Gene

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Back to the first question, you are wise to split the rifle and scope up, the VXIII should get you about $250 to $300. The age of the scope won't matter as much as the condition, ring marks and dents are big negatives.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Look on Ebay in closed auctions. You will see that it will not bring much. Either way you get screwed but you will get less screwed by taking the scope off the gun. Jeff

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The guys telling to split the gun up are right. I buy a Remington Model 700 at a gun show about six times a year, usually just to get the action. By the time, I sell the barrel, stock and scope, I own the receiver for very little.

Ed

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I may or may not sell the scope, buthave little use for the rifle.

13. skeezix

skeezix Member

look here for scopes

http://www.swfa.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

http://www.cameralandny.com/

http://www.bearbasin.com/

should find pretty substantial discounts on Leupold stuff at any of these places. If I recall correctly the old vari-x III models are essentially the VXII models of today.

jh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.