1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leon Panetta supported anti-CIA think tank

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

While reading an intelligence brief today, I was directed to the following online article (URL above):

Obama's preferred future CIA chief supported leftist think tank targeted by KGB
    13/01/09

Leon Panetta, US President-Elect Barack Obama's choice for future chief of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), previously strongy sympathized with the Institute for Policy Studies (IPS), a Washington based leftist think tank known for its bitter opposition to the intelligence community, notably the CIA, investigative reporter Emerson Vermaat writes for PipeLineNews.org.
    As a member of US Congress Panetta supported the IPS's Coalition for a New Foreign and Military Policy Line in 1983. He was also one of the congressmen who bienially commissioned IPS to produce an "alternative" budget that dramatically cut defense spending, online paper marks.

A FBI document classified IPS co-director Barnet as a "communist," providing details about his "contacts with Soviet Embassy personnel."S. Steven Powell, a kind of intern at the IPS's Washington Office, had "strange encounters with East Bloc diplomats who frequent the IPS." They were KGB agents who obviously tried to recruit IPS staff members or were involved in what could be interpreted as a variety of intelligence operations.

One of them was Valery Lekarev, Third Secretary of the Soviet Embassy in Washington.Just in one year, Mr. Lekarev had been seen at IPS more than a dozen times, as had another Soviet diplomat, Victor Taltz. Among other Soviet diplomats who sought to cultivate IPS staff members were Igor Mishchenko, Anatoly Manakov, Pavel Pavlov and Vladimir I. Strokin. "Panetta can in no way be associated with hostile foreign intelligence services. But his previous support for a dubious think thank like the Institute of Policy Studies – an outspoken anti-CIA lobby group, manipulated in the past by former Soviet intelligence services is anything but a recommendation for a job like CIA chief," Vermaat concludes.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

The Dems don't think there are any evil countries in the world. And so we turn inward. And the self-destruction begins...

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Of course. The left hates the CIA. Penetta's there to dismantle it.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Panetta's a hack like all the Obama Clintonista appointments. Hope? Change? ROFL.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

That's just what we need - NOT!

Had the CIA been up to speed we would have probably circumvented 9/11.

Folks need to read the book "Hunting the Jackal" by Billy Waugh> He worked through the weakened CIA during the Clinton years. Was a Special Forces in Nam, 8 Purple Hearts, and at 71 went to Afghanistan to work with the SF folks.

He tells quite a bit of his CIA involvement and frustration, and first kept an eye on OBL (he called him UBL) in the Sudan and recommended that he be taken out, but the CIA refused to do so.

The title is a bit of a misnomer as only a few pages were dedicated to capturing the Jackal.

Another good read is "Holy War - Inside the Secret World of OBL" by Peter Bergen.

WW

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Flincher 100, I think part of the point is that the CIA was weakened during the Clinton administration, thus the lack of reliable information later. You have to keep continuity in such organizations. They cannot be rebuilt right away every time a new president is elected

7. recurvyarcher

Guys, you are not going to make Flincher understand. He's a democrat, and probably has never even been to Washington, let alone been involved in the military or intelligence.

You cannot convince people that have no experience. They get their information second-hand. Second-hand military information is (a) stripped of all sensitive content, (b) not understood by most laypeople, even when most of the information is intact and correct, because they don't pay attention to the events that lead up to a crises until it is newsworthy, and (c) the news media and politicians spin what the public finally hears.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"let alone been involved in the military or intelligence."

So far, I have not been able to find any involvement by flincher with intelligence.

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Remember Obama said that the people he appoints shares his visions; i.e., this type of appointment underminds the intelligence community and this country will suffer as a result. I feel bad for the field agents when the leader of the Agency is completely out of touch and will learn by trial by error. Stakes are high and what we don't know will hurt us. Back in the 1970's or early 1980's the CIA failed to detect the revolution in Iran and coincidentially they were going through a period of low morale caused by the CIA Director. How would you feel to have a figurehead like Panetta and a visionary like Obama in charge. Since I believe in God, I'll pray. BT-100dc

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Before my retirement I was privy to a lot of information that most folks would never believe if I told them. One of the things I can tell you is that the CIA's job is nowhere as easy as some of you seem to think. It take years, sometimes to develop information and accesses. It is not something that you can just start doing tomorrow. One of the hardest things was keeping the monies to operate out of the public eye. It didn't come cheap. I could go on and on but that wouldn't change anything. This is one of the reasons it is so important who we put in office. Yes, we are in for a rocky road, but I am proud to say that my President, George Bush has worked hard at building up both the CIA and NSA. It won't take long to see the course of Panetta and Obama and it sure don't look good. It would probably blow your minds at how many russian operatives(IPS) there were that worked in and around Lockheed Space and Missile in Mountain View California. Sadly the IPS readily shares any information they scrape together with anyone that will listen. You can imagine who is willing to listen. They readily undermine all efforts to protect our country from all others.

11. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Considering Barney Frank and Chris Dodd's performance, I would say it's time to "shake them up" or better yet, shake em' down.

12. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

"Any of you guys found those WMDs yet?"

Ask mr and mrs slick willie. They said WMD's were there. Heck, you probably voted for her in the primary.

"How you doing about catching Osama Bin Laden?"

Ask slick willie why he didn't take him out. A global terror network was thriving and all slick willie could think about was,,gratification!!

Bill Clinton's failures unleashed global terror.

13. recurvyarcher

S/he didn't deny it.

When you flinch, isn't it an act of avoidance?

I think the rest of us should develop a flincher-flinch.

14. recurvyarcher

Will be happy to have a soda with you. You'll catch me at any number of shoots this year. It'll have to be a diet one though...hafta fit into a white-and-pearl dress in August...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.