1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

***Leo, Phil, and Terry***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Charles, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

I am not on here a lot anymore. Just wanted to say a couple of things on my mind. If you want to learn to shoot trap successful here are the three people who can teach you all you need to know. Leo Harrison, Phil Kiner and Terry Jordan. Terry's wall chart is the most valuable tool in learning and teaching new shooters. Leo has a wonderful clinic and can find and correct problems. I had a young man at Leo's clinic and told Leo he had a problem. I wouldn't tell Leo what it was. The young man ran 100 straight and Leo noticed the problem right off. He cured him. (Oh! be careful if Leo has a flat on his buggy, you might have to go get it fixed,,,) Phil, is the best person for eyes. I learned a lot from talking to him on the phone and from his videos. He knows more about eyes than the people that wear them...These three people are what made me a successful coach and instructor. Many trophies for the kids and team trophies. Got a couple into Lindenwood and had the Honor and privilege of coaching two Rookies of The Year, back to back.

Just wanted to say Thank You for all you have done, You too, Karla...

Mr. Charles.

2. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Curious. The young guy had a problem, ran 100 straight, and you both noticed it? Please tell me what is was.. I may try it.

3. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

He was shooting them out of the house too quick and it would cost him a bird or two. Leo slowed him down a dozen times and it made the difference. He really didn't want to go to the clinic, but was really glad he did. His dad and I were certified instructors and he didn't want to listen to us, so we thought he might listen to Leo. He did and earned an invitation to the National Jr. Olympic Training Camp. By not telling Leo he couldn't blame me. Leo noticed it the first shot. Maybe I can find a picture or two and post.

mc

4. Hookedonshooting

I appreciate that MC. Besides the "when you can see them" answer, how far out should a bird be shot. Nora Ross lives here in town and I may see if she wants to trade a golf lesson for a trap lesson. Lol

5. FLIP

FLIP Member

so how do you slow down a young shooter?

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Talk about a "loaded" question...

7. Deadedd

Deadedd Member

Went to a Phil's clinic in 2011 and he said to slow---wait till the bird is above the barrel. With both eyes open, I thought I knew were the bird was going. Phil saw the problem in 5 shots and videos don't lie!!

8. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

I told the young man Leo was going to step on him if he didn't.. No, Leo stood right beside him and kept telling him. He wanted to satisfy Leo so he slowed down. As far as distance the best way I can explain is to look at one of Terry Jordan's Wall charts. On a 60/40- 70/30 gun I shoot just before the peak. on a left or right target My gun position is at 9 o'clock on left and 3 o'clock on right. (With necessary lead) Straight away w/ bird on top of barrel. Terry's wall chart shows position of bird and gun on all shots. I don't follow the bird, just focus on it and move to the break point. If your eyes are focused on the target the gun will be where it needs to be. With the wall chart, one of Phil's DVDs and a Leo clinic you are on top. I always held a High Gun. ( Harlan Campbell ) (Normal Conditions) Abnormal Conditions especially at Sparta can change that radically. Phil Kiners Video. I don't know if Leo has any Videos or not. However He has a great Clinic. Clear as mud...(lol) Sometimes you have students you are instructing tha get to shooting good and begin believing they know more than the instructor. That is when you take them to someone like Leo, etc. By repution alone, they will listen better.

Mr. Charles

9. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Thank you for your informative post, Mr. Charles. Hope to see more.

10. Hookedonshooting

Likewise Sir.

11. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Mr. Charles.

Thanks for the fine comments, I know you have had great results with the chart. I was away for a couple weeks when you posted this and I wanted to get back to you.

Thanks again.

Terry.

12. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

Thanks Terry. I only wish I was still able to coach and instruct. I had such great success and loved working with the kids.

Stay in the 'buggy'

Gary Nelson

13. Mr. Charles

Mr. Charles Member

At the time of the posting of this thread, I had no knowledge that Leo was in the hospital. I was contacted by a friend of the family and kept updated. I hadn't made any comments as I havent had the words. Leo was such a wonderful person and so was Karla. He was the greatest Ambassador the trap world will ever see.

MC