1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leo Harrison Questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wineguy, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

I was watching Leo's DVD and had a question and an observation. What has Leo said about his preference or reason to use his O/U for singles and then switch to his top single for handicap? Is it an illusion or does Leo have a significant left leaning cant on his gun hold. Thanks.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

To further help with practice for the second shot on doubles. Yes he does cant his gun a tad, throws off his POI about 1/100 of an inch, he does that on purpose to keep us thinkin we stand a chance? :)

Hap

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I believe if you watch Leo in person, the cant is not as pronounced. The "eye cam" may have accentuated the cant you see in the DVD's.

Not sure why he elects to shoot the O/U in singles.

Don Verna

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

After switching to a break gun when his old autos were stolen, try as he may, a 200 straight with the single he could not break. Then one day a bright light said, try the O/U. Well he did and a 200 he broke. Hasn't changed since.

5. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

Kinda took all the high tech explanations right out of it.But if thats what it is....

6. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Heck if I broke a 100 straight I would not change anything either. If I broke 200 straight I would never buy a new gun!!! LOL
    Jim B.

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

wineguy:

Watch close and you'll notice Leo shoots singles with TOP barrel of his O/U.

I can't quote him but Leo makes a comment in the tape to the effect that shooting singles with the top barrel is like practice shooting the second target of a doubles pair.

sissy

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I figured he just had his unsingle set for 27 yards and the O/U poi was more appropriate for singles. But everything noted above has some logic to why a guy would shoot the O/U for singles.

John E.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Sissy, that's the same thing Leo told me at the MO state shoot a couple years back when I was chatting with him asking questions. He also told me he'd tried a release trigger also but he didn't see any advantage for him using one so he went back to his pull triggers.

What I didn't ask was what the choke constrictions between the top single caps barrel and his O/u was. If I were to wager a tad, I'd say the top single barrel is a little tighter choked than the top barrel of the O/U set?

Leo H. could beat most of us with a pipe mounted on a decent 2x4.

Hap

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hap,

I believe Leo uses a .045 choke in HC. A .037 in the top of the the O/U.

You are incorrect in one of your statements. It would not have to be a "decent 2x4".

Don Verna

11. Hap MecTweaks

LOL@Don, by that I meant one without bad splinters!

Hap

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Leo shoots a topsingle. Thus the overbarrel for singles. The doubles comment is correct.

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

LUVS2SHOOT --

He does not shoot a unsingle, it's a top single. Don Verna is correct as to to chokes, he states that in his DVD's. Bottom barrel of O/U has 17 thousands choke, this is what he uses for the first shot in doubles..

He is a remarkable trapshooter and excellent person. If you have not purchased his DVD's you are missing out on the best trapshooting DVD I have ever seen, and yes I have them all.

Tom Strunk

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

*** original text deleted***

Mr. Strunk posted a faster and better response.

sissy

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Don, You beat me to it with the stud. :) Interesting thought process he uses that makes a lot of sense really. I guess I'm dumber than a 2X4. Oh well, Bob

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I asked why he never tried shooting his bottom barrel at singles, He said "because the choke tubes are stuck".

17. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

BigM and Tom, I was unaware of that, and assumed that he shot an un-single. You know the old saying about assuming things. Thanks for the correction.

However, I am still currious about whether there is a difference in the poi of his handicap barrel and singles barrels. Does anyone know if the poi is the same on the top single and his O/U set of barrels?

John E.

18. dverna

dverna Active Member

In all seriousness, Leo is one of the best people in the sport. I know a man who shot a number of times with Leo many years ago and Leo has always been a gentleman - just like his dad and grandfather.

He is a remarkable shooter and coach. He is not full of himself and has a sense of humor.

I took a semi-private lesson from him this year and we were finishing up our first field of doubles. I was shooting very well but missed the 50th bird. Leo ripped his hat off, yelled DAMN!!, and threw it to the ground. Naturally I thought I had done something terribly stupid or wrong. Expecting as ass chewing, I sheepishly asked "What's wrong Leo?". His response, "I hate it when we miss the last bird".

As stated above. Get his DVD. Expensive, but less than two flats of shells; and the best investment you can make if you cannot attend one of his clinics.

Don Verna

19. vhntr1

vhntr1 Member

Myself and my daughter are going to one of his clinics in May cant wait!

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I had the great pleasure of squading with Leo for most of the week at the GLG a few years ago. Impressively He never missed a singles or a doubles Target and we shot through some sideways rain and high wind. Karla even drove us to the line in her cart.

He's no snob when it comes to shooting with the "little people". Leo and Karla are the best, you couldn't meet a nicer couple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why does leo shoot the top barrel on singles