1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Leo Harrison III nostalgia event at Grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trapmanjohn, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

I would like to see a commemorative event at the Grand American for Leo Harrison III similar to the Federal Model 12 shoot. Everyone must use an unaltered Remington 1100 with Winchester AA shells. Let me know your thoughts.

Hit 'em hard,

John

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Great Idea.

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

Don't forget the farm equipment stickers, right?

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

And you have to bring your reloads in a pillow case.

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Leo's 1100 was altered, he had stickers on it.

6. kenf

kenf Active Member

I would love to hear stories about Leo showing up as an unknown at a club someplace with that stickered 1100 and shells in a pillowcase and cleaning the guys clocks.

7. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

i think Leo and Brad did just that in Florida in the early mid-1970's. I think they made at least one trip together down there splitting expenses and earnings.........

Brad would know.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte,NC

vhntr1 thanked this.
  8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Leo had a Perazzi sticker on one of his 1100's ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

John, I would like to make a suggestion for an alteration of format since its nostalgic.

Leo used Federal papers till the late 70's when he switched. You might want to consider both. But he started and finished with Federals.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

At what point did he use Challenger shells or did I dream that?

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

grntitan, I took a clinic back in 2004 with Leo and Randy Ross at Palmyra. Leo was shooting Challenger shells at that time, I still have one in my collection.

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Matt, when Bob Graf became a jobber for them. I'll have to give that a little thought and a phone call might be necessary but will venture to say early 90's.

John, additional idea. What if we shoot a true straightaway off one and five with minimum 52 yard target like Leo would have cut his teeth on?

13. grntitan

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure somebody had told me he use to shoot 'em. A friend in Canada added some Challenger boxes and shells to my collection.

Great ideas by the way.

14. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Pheasantmaster, we will have to appoint you the chairman to actually verify what Leo used at that time. Then I guess we can start a petition to get the event at the Grand. What do you think; a 50 or 100 target event? Just a commemorative fun shoot for everyone who loved and respected Leo Harrison III.

Hit 'em hard,

John

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

John, if you really think that there is enough interest, I will see what I can do in making the event a reality.

If we stick with Federal ammo, quite possibly Devon may allow something in conjunction with his event. Either way I would take on the ground work to see if possible. I would just like somehow to know if enough interest existed to make it interesting.

As a secondary point of interest. Those that have never shot the old style target presentation and those also that proclaim to stand a better chance of winning could each have an opportunity.

16. grntitan

Was Leo's 1100's Trap model or field? Love to see some pics of him shooting the gun you guys have described above.

After the 1100's were stolen, was there a gun before Beretta?

17. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Grntitan, To my knowledge, when Leo's 1100s were stolen Beretta gave him a 682X. 34" Top single with a 30" O/U. He used the Beretta a year or so later to set the HOA record at the Grand American in 1991 of 991/1000. I was there at that Grand; it was quite a feat.

Then when Beretta came out with the DT10 Leo was given one along with several other All Americans at the time.

Hit 'em hard,

John

18. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

19. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

Most of us would love to hear stories of Leo in his early trap shooting days. I know Dysinger can tell a few of when they traveled the country sleeping in the car and shooting all they could. There are lots of shooters that shot with Leo over the years. Please share any that you can. Thanks

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'll hafta oil up ol bessy and bring her to Sparta looks like!!

Great idea John!! Martin should head this one up aLSO!!

hap

Search tags for this page

leo harrison iii