1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

LEO BT-99

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by welderman, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welderman

welderman TS Member

What is a LEO BT-99 and what are they worth?
    Tom S. (welderman)

2. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

It depends on what model BT, what year manufacture & what condition.

3. welderman

welderman TS Member

The model BT is a BT-99. Condition is 98%. I don't know the year. Is it really important? Thanks. Tom S (welderman)

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Leo was from Library PA. A long time member of our club, Library Sportsmens Association. I joined in 1977 and Leo was there long before me. His father John was a member, probably from the first days of the association in 1946.

Browning manufactured that model with his name on it because of the great number of Brownings he sold.

He passed away and the store is closed.

AJ100

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

AJ, what happened to Joan.

6. TDB III

TDB III TS Member

Tom, year makes a difference depending upon condition. I've had several of the earlier BT's, NIB, that were the silver coin version and the blue version. The earlier versions seemed to be of better quality/better wood (my opinion from looking at many over the years) and have brought better price. The silver coin version has brought more money than the blue version but it hasn't seemed to make a difference if they were 32" or 34". NIB is worth a good bit more than 98% "and" providing yours has not been altered in any way. If yours has been altered, the value is in the eyes of the beholder. They are great guns and I never had the heart to shoot one of mine. Many guys want them because they are a great looking gun (especially when tricked out) and they last forever. I've been shooting my "plain" 1973 BT since 1980 and have had the trigger worked on twice, replaced the hammer spring twice and the firing pin spring once. Many thousands of rounds and it never talks back.

TDBIII

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

So, how does one distinguish one of the Leo guns from a regular BT-99?

8. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

AJ posted the info on Leo the man so I'll add what I can about the guns.

The Leo BT's were made in Grade I, Grade I with Grade III wood, and Pigeon Grade 6 with gold birds in coin finish or blued. 32",34", some fixed, some with Invectors.....various configurations.

There were 99's, and a very small number of 100's and a few Plus guns made. Total production in all grades was something like 1200-1300 guns (at the time).....as told to me by Leo a couple years before his death.

The two sure ways to recognize a Leos is look on the reciever just above the opening lever .....all are numbered in an oval (in gold) in that location. And if the box is available it will say Leos Special on the end label.

The value depends greatly on Grade and condition.

Hope this info helps.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM....Dave

9. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a BT-99 on line that was described as a "signed by the engraver" Pigeon Grade. It's a 1988 model with a beavertail forearm, coin finish, with gold pigeons. It also has the number 157 in gold inside a oval just in front of the release lever. Does that make this one of Leo's guns? If so does this number represent 157 of the total Leo grade 99's or just that year?

10. hunter44

11. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Hunter, isn't that also the last numbers in the serial number on the gun. Mine is.

12. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

Hunter,

I'm certain your BT is a Leos....it's the only BT built with that special number in the spot you describe. I'm not sure about the numbering system but I think they were numbered by batch.

BTW, mine is a blued 1988 Grade 6 #161....so it's likely our guns sat next to each other on Leos rack :)

KEEP SMOKIN' EM....Dave

EDIT: As hippie said, the number above the lever is at the end of the SN.

13. hunter44

Last three numbers of my serial number is 499. The same number 157 that is in the oval is in the serial number before the letters PP but they are not the last numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt-99 leo special grade 6 values

bt 99 leo

bt 99 leo model browning

bt99leo model browning

leo browning bt-99

whats a bt99 grade111 worth 1980