1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lense Color, Low Light, dusk?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosecall, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

I have used, Gold l10, Target Orange Lite, at dusk, with AR coating. Any Other colors I may try to brighten the bird, and increase the contrast with orange domed targets. 10tenner

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Desert Glow from Post 4 Optics. Roy

3. KenC

KenC Member

Good question!

This year my eyes have taken a turn for the worse. The eye doc says cataracts are starting & I have developed floaters.

In our Wednesday Night Spring League (it should be named "Wednesday Twilight League"), I am having an awful time seeing left-hand targets (our fields are all regulation; laid out N-S). Because of that, I find that I am continually lifting my head, in an effort just to FIND those targets that get launched towards the sun (the west).

I have absolutely no problems shooting after it is dark enough for the lights to 'take hold'.

The light orange is only slightly better than my purple. Next week, I'm gonna go with my regular [clear] glasses.

4. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I use Decot Gold #10's for evening and/or night shoot-offs.

5. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Its been discussed here and other sites many times about vision during dusk conditions. No lens color does anything at these times, even glasses dealers will admit to that. Just go clear.

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, go clear, preferably with anti-reflective coating which improves light transmission to the eye. Regards, Ed

7. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

I got a set of the Transition type lenses made....they get lighter as the light fades and darker in brighter sun. They are the "bronze" transitions, although I see very little brown, the targets do show up good. I bought them just for that daylight to dark period and thus far they seem to be working just fine.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I just ordered some new Ranger XL that will come with Dark purple for bright sun light and Tangerine for overcast low light. I will report back as soon as I get them and give them a whirl.

9. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

goose2 it that tangerine a new color or target orange. I have noticed a difference in Polycarbonate, and CR39. I see more clearly with the CR39. A local lab guy, now out of business, and made lenses of two different colors of orange. I saw a lot of yellow and were great for low light conditions. I may have to send send them to ranger, or decot and see if they can match the color. 10tenner

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Tangerine is in between light target orange and target orange. I should have them Friday. Let me know and I will take some pictures and post.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

As an FYI...

CR 39 is optically superior, but its impact resistance is nowhere close to polycarb. As for UV protection, Polycarb offers 100% UV protection whereas CR39 requires a coating.

I'm a pale/medium yellow guy for all the night shooting I do... dusk is tough for me!

regards all,

Jay

12. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Clear works best for me.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what color lense is best for shooting trap at dusk