1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Lens Color?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm going to order a pair of lenses strictly for shooting' I have the frames and a gift certificate to cover the cost of new lenses. Single vision rather than the progressives that I wear regularly so what color works best? I have a pair of dark brown single vision sun glasses that work well on bright days but when dusk comes it gets tough.

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

medium yellow or target orange

3. OlympicTrapShooter

OlympicTrapShooter TS Member

Before i bought my Randolph Ranger CMT lenses.

I used vermillion which work very well in just about all back grounds and conditions. I even used them at night and they worked really well too! But if you have the money and also the ranger frames. Spend the 80-90 dollars to get the CMTs they are awesome!

4. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Went to eye Doc and asked for purple ones to see hard one in sun. He said I'm so color blind I would have to mark them to change lens and being CB no color would help. Hee Hee Jon

5. Bruce Specht

what is Vermillion?

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Its a reddish purplish color. It helps people with red green color deficiency. It works really well in tree backgrounds, and fairly well against sky. If you ever have to shoot against corn though, switch to another color if possible.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Since you already have brown tinted glasses for bright situations, consider clear or very light gold (Decot #10 gold, for example) for night or low light conditions. Best Regards, Ed

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Decot recommends the lightest shade you can tolerate without squinting. I use Lite Target Orange on a dark day but I'm sensitive to bright sunlight and would squint my eyes with them on a bright day. I like Vermillion but they are too dark for me on a cloudy day.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I use target bronze. Decot has told me that this is their most popular color. I have in the past also used a light purple and it was much better than I thought it would.

I would not buy any color without looking at a few targets through the lens. Vendors at larger shoots will help you do that. At a smaller shoot, other shooters will be glad to let you look through their glasses.

Pat Ireland

10. Bruce Specht

The Lens Crafters had a pale green a bit darker than lime thing about that really brighten up the area.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The right color might depend on you being color blind or not. I am color blind to red and green and salmon color works best for me. HMB

12. lgunluvr

lgunluvr Member

Pat gave sound advice. Lens color is in "the eye of the beholder". What works for one person may not for another. Go to shoots where the venders will let you view targets with different colors, before choosing. Personally I like vermillion against a green background. On bright days I like CMTs. In the winter I go with light orange. Try before you buy.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

ditto on the "test drive, before you buy" recommendations,

Jay

14. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Got this with the last set I bought.

<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/dancingbear12/?action=view&current=lenscolors.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.