1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

length of trap stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangover, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangover

hangover Member

Can a trap stock be too short even if it feels comfortable at 13 inch length of pull. Will a stock that short affect POI or anything else?

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

13 inch stocks are OK for some shooters, but an average shooter will have problems with them, one swings too fast, lots of missed targets for starters.
    Usually this length are for youngsters and small lady shooters.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

If it feels good,shoot it.If thats the length that suits you so be it.Your the only one who can say what fits you.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I first started shooting trap, on most of my guns my lop was 14 3/8". The heavier I got over the years my lop got shorter and my lop is now 13 1/4 ". The more weight I gain the bigger my chest gets and the lop gets shorter.

When I lose weight I need to lengten my stock. Most stocks I have, the shorter the lop gets I see more rib between the beads. When I lengten the stock I see less rib between the beads. If your stock is not completely level this will happen and your poi does change than.

A stock is like a pair of shoes. When it is correct you will know it, regardless the length. I was always taught to shoot a stock as short as I could get it without my thumb hitting my nose. If the stock is to short, you will most often hit your nose on station #1 and #5.
    Steve Balistreri

5. copper

copper Member

I have a old black diamond mod 12 trap strait grip with 13 1/2 LOP will punch my nose and light to boot I am 6 foot gun get short and you get kind of bound up in your swing

6. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

It is easy to shoot a stock to short than to long LOP. Most shooters with to long LOP will stand sideways on the post to shoot, instead of square of the house. IMO thanks Ronnie

7. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The correct LOP is dependent on a number of things involving both the shooting form that is used, the correctness of other stock dimensions as well as the size and shape of the shooter.

LOP is usually judges by the distance between the second knuckle of the thumb and the nose of the shooter. A short distance if fine if the shooter mounts the gun carefully and consistently and mounts the gun snugly to the shoulder, assuming that the stock has the correct pitch for the shooter.

The stance affects LOP. Shooters who shoot shotguns like rifles, with their shoulders more in-line with the direction they are shooting, need longer stocks.

Longer stocks are also needed by shooters who mount their guns low on their shoulders. This is because to put the cheek on the comb, the neck must be leaned forward and since necks have length, the forward lean needs additional stock length.

Along the same line, if the drop at the heel dimensions is inadequate, the neck may also need to be leaned forward to put the cheek on the comb, which requires a longer stock.

LOP can also be affected by the design of the stock. LOP on guns with parallel combs is much simpler to deal with than it is on field guns with their rising combs. There is only one point on rising combs that allow the shooter to look along or slightly down-onto the surface of the rib. In such cases the shooter will need to deal with the drop at the comb and LOP dimensions, which can be challenging.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.