1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Length of Pull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JBrooks, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Wrong pitch.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Wrong pitch and or too much drop at the back of the comb/heel. Hap

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

No, not directly. A stock that is too long may however, cause shooting form errors or combine with other ill-fitting stock dimensions to cause cheek slap.

As was mentioned, too much drop at the heel, too little pitch or little or no cast at the comb or heel along with wide shoulders or a square stance can all be involved.

Other than inadequate pitch on the stock and raising the head during swings, the cause of cheek slap usually has more than one cause that can involve the shooting form (gun mount, stance, body posture), which is accompanied by ill-fitting stock dimensions.

The first thing to check would be the pitch on your stock. The entire recoil pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with your shoulder pocket when the gun is mounted.

Rollin

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Mike/PerazziBigBore;

I travel badly and it's very expensive to live on the road. Todd Nelson (Country Gentleman) - www.gunfitter.com), 1-866-836-5899 is an excellent stock fitter and travels widely. There are other good fitters as well.

When I finally finish "Stock Fitter's Bible", the sequel to "Stock Fitting Secrets", it will contain photos of correct shooting forms (stance, gun mount, body posture, weight distribution) and common shooting form corruptions that ill-fitting stock dimensions cause in addition to information on changing stock dimensions to allow a correct shooting form to be used. (All sentences in the book will be shorter than that one.)

Most of the text is written and the photos await only a sunny day and a couple of local, Green Bay, WI shooters to photograph in exchange for free books.

Rollin

5. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

And getting more expensive all the time. I put a pencil to my road show last week. At todays fuel prices, it is now costing me 35.00/hr just to drive down the road. Plus vending fees and parts. Cost me a grand just for fuel to run to SW Grand and back. Takes a bunch of stock work to offset those costs. Anyhoo, Thanks for the Kudos above. See yall in ILL, Ohio, Indiana and Grand. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.