Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

***** LENGTH OF PULL *****

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wolfram 
#1 ·
It's not correct G2. Correct is a length of pull that puts your nose about an inch from your thumb, or a bit less.

Neil

#2 ·
Neil Quick question, does the 1" from nose work when you have a very high comb and erect head set up? LOP pull can be tricky I think. My Browning gold has a longer pull than my citori. about 1/2 inch or so. I have a PFS set to the same length of pull as old unit but comb is much higher, forceing my head back on the comb increasing nose to thumb distance. I am comfortable with the swing and LOP.

#5 ·
Length of pull is tricky but as Neil stated 1" give_or_take .5". That is a starting point when the gun is mounted in a normal fashion. I don't know a thing but from a starting point within those amounts, then you must decide what is comfortable and still allow a right shoulder shooter to maintain eaze of movement on a hard right from post 5.

The measuring of a buttstock in the elbow joint was a joke from inception!

#6 ·
The elbow measurement doesn't work out accurately. If you knuckles drag on the ground, you would assume a lengthy LOP, but what happens if you don't have any neck? Your head would be resting on the recoil pad. Your neck is only so long, but you can always bend your arms to accomodate a different length.

Also, trying to compare LOP from different gun models, is similar to comparing apples to oranges. Fat combs, drop at the heel, and the diameter & length of the pistol grip, messes all this up.

#7 ·
i hope the guy who told you about the elbow measurement did not work in a gun store. if he did, walk, no run, and don't look back. all kiding a side i guess thats someplace to start. what i have found, and believe me i am no expert, i like to get my nose as close to my thumb without hitting my nose. usually on station 1 or 5 if your stock is to short, those are the stations that you will probably hit your nose on a hard left or hard right on those 2 stations. what i have also found, on different brand guns i take a different lop. what it all comes down to, is it comfortable to you. i have been beat my people with stocks that are way to long, and they still shoot good. good luck to you.
steve balistreri

#8 ·
Yea yea yea. Nose to thumb. What "feels" right. Its all personal. But the correct "starting point" is indeed the distance from the crook of the elbow at 90% to the last joint on the trigger finger. Measure with a yard stick not the gun. Then see how that works. If you have a long neck and lean forward with it when shooting you may need more. Short neck or upright head position maybe less. Also, good stock fitters look at the bend in the arm when the gun is mounted. They are looking for about a 90% bend in the elbow. Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.