1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Length Of Pull???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Drake20, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drake20

Drake20 Member

Short of being fitted by a good stock fitter, how can you determine what your length of pull should be? How do you know whether to increase or shorten your stock length?

2. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

That is a complicated question.It depends on a lot of things, not the least is your MOUNT. Different mounts by the same person may require a different LOP. I would seek out a qualified person to help you thru this process.

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The correct lop for me is what feels good and comfortable when shooting. Over the years I have noticed on different type guns my lop changes. For instance, on a Rem 870 TB I take a lop of 13.50". On a BT99 my lop is 14".

I have always been told that you should get as close to your thumb when shooting without actually hitting your thumb. On station 1 and 5 on hard angles if your stock is to short you will hit your nose and thumb on these hard angles.

I have seen shooters shoot guns that the lop was not correct for them and shot some poor scores. When they decided to either lengthen their lop or shorten their lop, their scores went up using the same gun.

If you were to go purchase a new pair of shoes and you did not know what size you took you would try a few pair on. When you found the correct size you knew it, same way with a stock's lop. Just my opinion.
    Steve

4. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Variables that effect LOP:

Stock shape

Your build

How you stand mounting the gun... If you stand more open you need a longer LOP. If you stand more closed you need a shorter LOP.

SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.