1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Length of Pull Question...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I don't know if there's a definite answer to this question. But in terms of length of pull, what is best? I've heard your thumb of your right hand (for right handed shooters) should be so far away from your nose/face. Can anyone elaborate on this? Does length of pull have anything to do with the way you control the gun, or is it merely a comfort factor? Thanks, any help is appreciated, Josh.

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

over the years i have talked to a few all american shooters about stock lop. the ones i have spoke to suggest get as close to the receiver on the gun without hitting your nose by your thumb. if you will be hitting your nose, it will usually occur on station 1 or 5. all i can tell you is, you will know when you have the correct lop for you. you will start smashing targets, the gun will feel comfortable to shoot, and you will feel in control of the gun.
    steve balistreri

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Length of pull most definitely makes a difference in the way the shotgun will handle. However, the correct length of pull vary from individual to individual. Factory pull lengths are based on some mythical "average" person and while they do their best, it rarely is ideal for any given indvidual. Even in factory lengths, that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. It also varies in type of shotgun. For instance, proper length of pull for a trap gun is generally longer for most people than finding the correct length of pull for a skeet or sporting clays gun. Correct length of pull may also vary depending on time of year, since in the summer most wear light clothing and can use longer LOP, while during the winter with much heavier clothing many shorten the LOP to compensate for thickness of clothing. All that said, most people can tolerate some variance in LOP without severe affects, but for best shooting you will need to find the LOP that works best for you on that particular shotgun. Sorry if all this does not really help you in picking the LOP, but it is best to find a professional to help you with the issue, noting how you shoulder the weapon, the way you hold it, your particular physique, etc and decide if the gun needs to be shorter, longer, etc. Or try using spacers etc to lengthen and/or shorten the LOP till you find the right LOP for you.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, the length of pull should allow me to mount the gun, without pushing my head forward, and end up with my thumb about 1 inch from my nose.

Pat Ireland

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you do not have adjustable length of pull, you could try adding some temporary spacers between the recoil pad and stock for longer LOP, or find some thinner recoils pads to go shorter. No need to grind and fit the pad unless you intend to use it. A little goes a long way. 1/8 to 1/4 see how it goes. I have a precision fit stock and have reduced my LOP down to just shy of 14" down from 14 3/4 from oem stock. I feel better and swing to my left and right seem more fluid.

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I think that my length of pull is too long for me. I have a couple of problems with swinging on hard lefts and hard rights. I think I've tried everything possible to fix it, I've adjusted where me feet were, where I hold on the house, where I hold me eyes. I'm almost considering buying a used conventional style stock and cutting it down to where I think it fits right, or cutting it down and having an adjustable plate put on it. Thanks for the help, Josh.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

An adjustable butt plate is a great idea and most will allow you to adjust the position of the recoil pad as well. A professional stock fitter can give better advice if he can observe you and your gun. Having the adjustments is one thing. Knowing where to move them is another.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have a winter pad and a summer pad to adjust for the amount of clothing I'm wearing. It is imporant that the gun feels and reacts the same. HMB

9. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Good article in Shotgun Sports this month concerning lop, I will try a little less after reading it.

Trap-4

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

For me a to short LOP made felt recoil. I had to same make and model shotguns, one with an untouched factory stock, the other with an after market stock tha was almost an inch and a half longer. The short stock after a day of hunting left my shoulder sore and bruised, the long stock left no bruise and a warn shower washed any pian away.

So I added 7/8's of an inch to my untouched stock, and it hasn't bruised my since then! WHY 7/8's? that was the amount of spacers I could find for my first attempt, it worked why change/fix it!

I have another trick I use for trap shooting, with that stock and it's ugly spacer, I am ready to shoot all day!

SO find the LOP that fits you and enjoy shooting more!

AL

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Keith Heeg sells & installs an adjustable length of pull/pitch plate. It is adjustable in 1/4 " increments and by using the pitch adjustment can be by 1/8th". You can buy recoil pads in 1/4" increments also. I would not fit a pad until I determined the correct lop for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to adjust length of pull on trap guns

how to find the right length of pull for trap shooting

length of pull for trap gun

length of pull for trap shooting

shotgun length of pull trap gun
shotgun shooting length of pull
standard lengh of pull for a trap gun
suggested shotgun length of pull for trap