1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Length of new 1100 action spring?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mrskeet410, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I have an 1100 that is tossing the empties pretty far. I was wondering if it was time to change the action spring. Then I shot some whimpy 1 ounce loads (16.0-16.5 grains of Promo), and it tossed those babies 6 to 7 feet. I figured it's time to change.

So I pulled the old spring, and when I compared it to what I though was a new spring I had on-hand I found they were they same length. So I'm wondering now if the extra spring I have on-hand is really new, or just an old spring I left laying around.

I'm even wondering now if the spring in the gun about was really a new spring when I put it in about a year ago. That spring has less than a thousand rounds thru it.

How can I tell?

2. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

I believe that new springs are 15in. in length.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Both my extra spring and my in-gun spring measure 14.5 inches, not including extra hardware like spring plug or follower.

This receiver was actually a replacement receiver provided by Remington, thank you. It's for an 1100, but it is actually an 1187 Sporting receiver (don't look a gift horse in the mouth). I couldn't remember if it came from Remington with an Action Spring installed, or if I had to install that, and maybe installed an old spring.

This is what's odd. The Action Spring Plug is flat, i.e. no screwdriver slot. It doesn't look like anything broke of the plug, so I think it was made that way. I never saw a plug like that before, so that makes me think the receiver came from Remington with the spring installed. If so, there is only about a 1,000 rounds on that spring.

BTW - Remington's on-line manual still shows the Action Spring Plug with the screwdirver slots.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The newer autos have the flat retainer. The new spring length is indeed 15". As cheap as the part is, go ahead and replace it. Worn or cut action springs will damage your receiver. They will cause the magazine tube to separate from the action. $$$$$ OUCH!

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

So I have a spring that went from 15" to 14.5" in 10,000 rounds.

And I have a spring that went from 15" to 14.5" in 1,000 rounds.

Odd. So I guess the rule for replacement should remain the old standard of every 10,000 rounds or 10 years, whichever comes first. Spring length doesn't seem to be a good indicator.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Action springs are cheap, and take about five minutes to replace. Gun parts are pricey. If the magazine tube separates from the action, your gun just got very expensive to fix.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I just got a new spring at my local dealers. $9.00.

It's the same length as the one in the gun, which may have been new a year ago. And it's the same length as my extra spring, which I thought was new, but wasn't sure.

They are all a tad over 14.5 inches. Much closer to 14.5 than 15.0 inches.

Anybody need a spring?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.